Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello

I was just wondering if there were any people who applied this year to read History at Pembroke? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    History-yes. Pembroke-no.

ReputationRep:
    oooooooo I got a reply, i was afraid that i would be just ignored.
    Great, howdy fellow historian. What essays did you send off? Were you happy with them? What kind of preparation are you considering of doing ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    oooooooo I got a reply, i was afraid that i would be just ignored.
    Great, howdy fellow historian. What essays did you send off? Were you happy with them? What kind of preparation are you considering of doing ?
    I sent of one on entitled "Reform followed by Reaction is a dangerous strategy for a governement to follow" Assess this claim with reference to the rule of Nicholas II in Russia until August 1914 and another dealing with the causes of the Islamic Revolution in Iran in 1978-79. I was reasonably happy with them apart from them the fact that I felt that were a bit simalir and a bit broad (although I e-mailed St.Hugh's about this before sending them off and they said they were fine). I've just been brushing up on my reading and having some practice interviews. Nothing too extradoniary...

ReputationRep:
    Well i think both of those essays seem interesting, especially the latter. Are you a post-alevel applicant? I was at university in Paris last year, and all the essays i did there were obviously in french and thus not useful for Oxford. So i was kind of lazy and just sent essays that i did in the 6th form...but i couldnt find my damn coursework essay, so instead sent an assessment and a timed one. One was on: The extent to which the Third Reich was a monolithic unity and a well-oiled machine in response to the Fuhrer's will. The other on the evolution of the irish nationalist cause. Which to me sound really boring.......

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I’m an IB student at the International School of Geneva.

Yea, the Russian piece was a timed one…

Are you doing any fantastical preparation that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

ReputationRep:
    Well the thing i am not really sure what to do. I will in the coming weeks go over the historiography of the my historical topics. In addition, read Gellately's work (as i mentioned him in my personal statement). I had to go to a perhaps a more scarier process when i applied to La Sorbonne the year before last, and i managed to get away with doing very little. So i am not sure what they require of me, since i am 19 (and done a year at a uni already) i expect they will expect maturity and sophistication...though i doubt i will be able to show them this. It has been suggested to me that i read the last few editions of The History Review and other such periodicals in order to keep up to date with current research etc. Where else have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, i have applied to the following:
    LSE/ Oxford / Durham (UC) / UCL / Kings College London / RoyalHolloway

ReputationRep:
    Those doing History as a joint honours...feel free to comment

ReputationRep:
    My other choices are Durham, Warwick, LSE, York and Royal Holloway. I've got one offer so far, 33 points for Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    My other choices are Durham, Warwick, LSE, York and Royal Holloway. I've got one offer so far, 33 points for Royal Holloway.

Well 4 of the uni's we are applying to are the same!
    I love LSE so much, i often go to their 'open' lectures...the atmosphere there is great. Plus Clement House is opposite my old school's church...! Anyways, I applied to Castle college (UC) at Durham, because i would love to live in a castle, lol. I am not too keen about Royal Holloway, but i will just have to wait for my offers....

ReputationRep:
    I really like the look of the course at LSE but I’ve heard a lot of bad things about undergraduate life there :\. Is it true that for an undergraduate there isn’t a real “university experience”, with no campus, halls miles away, and not much to do?

ReputationRep:
    Well as LSE is in London, it is the same for most London universities. Yet, i think what you loose in by way of a campus environment you gain in other areas. It is a very much cosmopolitan in nature, it has a scholarly ambiance to it. Undergraduates there seem (from when i have walked around) more mature than the first yr ugs at the other unis. I realise what a subjective comment that is, but my friends agreed. It's such a grown-up place, but still exciting.....

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said there is not much to do there is either misinformed or lying...you are in London..there is more to do and see in London then any other city in England. Perhaps, i am just bias, but i would love to get an offer from LSE..

ReputationRep:
    come on pembroke peeps i know you are out there!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    hello

ReputationRep:
    I've gone for St.Hugh's myself. I've also been assigned Trinity and New as 2nd and 3rd choices respectivily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    hello
    hello, i am not completely alone after all....hehe...i am fine ..my face is all smiley now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    hello
    me=gone for Law
    at Pembroke
    allocated colleges =
    St John's, Teddy Hall

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.