The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what? you applied for PPE? ehhh??? but last time you said you were gonna apply for bloody phsyics and philosophy?

seriosuly, you saying that you decided to go for PPE last time?why?

on a serious note though edders, i aint being harsh now, but changing your career intention the enxt time you apply to oxbridge is ahrdly good.

i mean, arent tehy gonna realsie that last time you applied for PPE?

in all honesty, i aint taking the piss, but you should ahve applied for physics last time and you would ahv got in mate. i swear you would have. 47% success rate is bloody good.

why didnt u apply for it last time? and why this time?
Reply 21
Pencil Queen
I didn't say I don't think you will get in.

I said that I don't believe someone who can't decide what subject they want to study for the next three years and who is changing their mind every day or so and applying for what they percieve as the easiest subject to get into is oxbridge material.

If you can explain why a lack of decisiveness and dedication to your subject makes you oxbridge material please enlighten us.

To be honest, that's a strategy adopted by loads of people who apply. I don't know exactly what I want to do - but I do know you can chop and change, to some extent. As you progress, you develop more of an idea of what you would like to do - admissions tutors aren't specifically looking for blindly dedeicated people.

Ben
Reply 22
Ben.S.
To be honest, that's a strategy adopted by loads of people who apply. I don't know exactly what I want to do - but I do know you can chop and change, to some extent. As you progress, you develop more of an idea of what you would like to do - admissions tutors aren't specifically looking for blindly dedeicated people.

Ben

AS I SAID, I AM GOING TO APPLY FOR PHYSICS. I SAID IT MONTHS AGO.
I WAS ONLY CURIOUS ABOUT ECONOMICS COZ MY TEACHER SAID I WAS THE BRIGHTEST STUDENT FOR BUSINESS/ECONOMICS HE HAD EVER TAUGHT AND HE SAID THAT I SHOULD AT LEAST LOOK INTO IT, HE WAS HOPING THAT I MAY CHANGE FROM PHYSICS TO ECONOMICS CAREER PLAN, BUT I AINT DEFINITELY.
Reply 23
guess_who
what? you applied for PPE? ehhh??? but last time you said you were gonna apply for bloody phsyics and philosophy?

seriosuly, you saying that you decided to go for PPE last time?why?

on a serious note though edders, i aint being harsh now, but changing your career intention the enxt time you apply to oxbridge is ahrdly good.

i mean, arent tehy gonna realsie that last time you applied for PPE?

in all honesty, i aint taking the piss, but you should ahve applied for physics last time and you would ahv got in mate. i swear you would have. 47% success rate is bloody good.

why didnt u apply for it last time? and why this time?

I find the way you type extremely interesting, so chaotic and thoughtless. I can see this is a product of you being abused as a child. Whatever pain you still feel inside maskall is okay really, it's okay, it's not your fault! I believe you should take up some sort of Martial Art as people tell me it's great for venting their emotions. I think it's apparent you need closer attention though as the childhood damage in your case was too great. If you wish to talk to me about how your parents abused you or failed to show their love for you (them being sadist and all), feel free to PM me.
Ben.S.

Ben

No - but at the same time a some dedication and commitment to the subject is needed.

And IMO someone looking for the easy way into oxbridge is not truely oxbridge material. Someone who values the university more highly than the subject they love is someone who has got their priorities wrong...it's like applying to empty the prime ministers bins because you want to work in a high powered environment, instead of trying to get a high powered job regardless of how difficult the competition will be.
Reply 25
guess_who
AS I SAID, I AM GOING TO APPLY FOR PHYSICS. I SAID IT MONTHS AGO.
I WAS ONLY CURIOUS ABOUT ECONOMICS COZ MY TEACHER SAID I WAS THE BRIGHTEST STUDENT FOR BUSINESS/ECONOMICS HE HAD EVER TAUGHT AND HE SAID THAT I SHOULD AT LEAST LOOK INTO IT, HE WAS HOPING THAT I MAY CHANGE FROM PHYSICS TO ECONOMICS CAREER PLAN, BUT I AINT DEFINITELY.

What are you shouting at me for!?!? I was supporting you!!!

Ben
Reply 26
Pencil Queen
No - but at the same time a some dedication and commitment to the subject is needed.

And IMO someone looking for the easy way into oxbridge is not truely oxbridge material. Someone who values the university more highly than the subject they love is someone who has got their priorities wrong...it's like applying to empty the prime ministers bins because you want to work in a high powered environment, instead of trying to get a high powered job regardless of how difficult the competition will be.

Yes, but you can't judge what is or is not 'Oxbridge material' (awful phrase) 'in your own opinion'. Dedication to a particular area, yes - but not tunnel-vision. Open mindedness and adaptability are always a good thing.

There aren't that many subjects you would want to do which aren't offered at Oxbridge - so there isn't really an issue with getting your 'priorities' wrong. Also, what's wrong with a little working of the system? You disadvantage yourself by not - as there are many people who will not be quite so scrupulous.

Ben
Reply 27
Ben.S.
What are you shouting at me for!?!? I was supporting you!!!

Ben

thanks ben!! sorry mate! as i said, i am very interested in physics, and i was always gonna apply 4 physics. i was just reaearching other degrees, coz i have a year until i even apply.

but thanks anyway. and i think 6 A*'s and 4 A's is oxbridge material, and if people reckon i wont get an offer, i ahve sorry news 4 u.

I WILL BE OFFERED A PLACE COZ I KNOW I AM GOOD ENOUGH.
Reply 28
why did you not apply 4 physics last time?
Reply 29
Please take note of my post Maskall, don't run away from your fears as they will only haunt you. There has been so much physical and psychological damage done, and that's only a small amount compared to what will happen if I ever meet you.
Reply 30
shut up petrozzi, you are a loser.
Reply 31
guess_who

You seem to be annoyed, I like that.
Reply 32
Petrozzi
You seem to be annoyed, I like that.

why should i be annoyed, you are teh one who isnt good enough to go to oxbridge, or even be worthy of applying
Reply 33
guess_who
why should i be annoyed, you are teh one who isnt good enough to go to oxbridge, or even be worthy of applying

It's not a case of me being good enough to go there or not, it's that I don't want to go there you simplistic fool.
Reply 34
guess_who

lol. You aint got no room to talk.
Ben.S.
Yes, but you can't judge what is or is not 'Oxbridge material' (awful phrase) 'in your own opinion'.

Actually I can - that's the meaning of IMO...I didn't once claim that my opinion was anything other than that. I'm guessing this was a typo and that you meant the opposite.

Dedication to a particular area, yes - but not tunnel-vision. Open mindedness and adaptability are always a good thing.

I wouldn't call flip-flopping from physics at oxford to economics at cambridge open minded and adaptability...actually I would if guess-who had stated interest in anything more substantial than the odds of getting in, but on that basis I'd say his lack of interest in *anything* to do with the course/uni shows even more tunnel vision than someone determined to study one particular field.

There aren't that many subjects you would want to do which aren't offered at Oxbridge - so there isn't really an issue with getting your 'priorities' wrong. Also, what's wrong with a little working of the system? You disadvantage yourself by not - as there are many people who will not be quite so scrupulous.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with working the system - I did say that sacrificing your interest in a subject solely out of fear that it's more competetive is getting your priorities wrong. Taking a subject you hate just because it's easier to get into is a false economy.

And my analogy wasn't implying anything about choosing to apply outside of oxbridge. My point was that it's better to try for something difficult than to give up and take the easy route doing a job/subject you don't enjoy.

As for people disadvantaging themselves by *not* working the system, that would be a valid point if the competeive courses/colleges changed yr on yr. They don't...people still apply for PPE and law and medicine at oxbridge, and they still apply for oversubscribed colleges in greater numbers than the less popular ones. If everyone was working the system the most popular course/college this yr would be the least popular/competetive last yr etc etc. Some people prefer to follow their hearts rather than play the odds to win a lesser prize...and that, I believe, is one of the qualities that makes them oxbridge material.
Reply 36
Pencil Queen
Some people prefer to follow their hearts rather than play the odds to win a lesser prize...and that, I believe, is one of the qualities that makes them oxbridge material.

three cheers for pencil queen!
Reply 37
guess_who
thanks ben!! sorry mate! as i said, i am very interested in physics, and i was always gonna apply 4 physics. i was just reaearching other degrees, coz i have a year until i even apply.

but thanks anyway. and i think 6 A*'s and 4 A's is oxbridge material, and if people reckon i wont get an offer, i ahve sorry news 4 u.

I WILL BE OFFERED A PLACE COZ I KNOW I AM GOOD ENOUGH.

Your incessant self promotion is getting ever more irritating by the minute. If you are that confident of geting in why do you need to broadcast that fact. Also i have seen you quote your GCSE grades more times that i have blinked in my life. Please take heed, anyone can achieve good GCSE grades if you put in enough effort, it is harder at A-level but still possible to learn everything. Therefore grades are not an indication of intelligence.

One other question. Do you have any friends? because i'm sure that anyone that held a conversation with you would rather be alone on a desert island than continue for another minute.

Just because you have got good GCSE grades does NOT mean that you know everything. To presume that your opinion is always right is another flaw in your personality. A sign of intelligence is realising you are wrong at times and moving forward from your mistakes. Please be more humble in future.
Reply 38
Can someone tell me where you get this figures from i.e how many people after one place/ success rate ?
Reply 39
MIZZ
Can someone tell me where you get this figures from i.e how many people after one place/ success rate ?

Have a look in the prospectus. The figures are usually there for each subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending