The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tallon
totally agree. I;m just so, so, so annoyed I missed 5 marks because I missed a question. I'd probably prefere it if I was just too stupid. The wait is just so nerve-racking. 2moro is going to be so tense with c2 and fp1. Just cna't afford to make any mistakes, you know?

I just hate the expectation to be getting full marks in everything I do. I think I prefer the old A level idea, which was the top 10% get an A, 20% get a B and so on. Also the papers were much harder but you only were expected to get 70%. So mistakes were not so crucial. Also harder papers judged people better were the top people were the people who could do a question, rather than the top people being the ones who were either lucky or very careful, rather than talented. I'm not sure how I would respond to this, but I hate the expectation to do well, and I don't want to fell really annoyed for dropping a couple of marks from inevitable mistakes.

I dislike NM partly because I can't check my answers as easily as the pure modules, and particularly FP1, with my snazzy graphics calculator.
Reply 21
Chriz M
I just hate the expectation to be getting full marks in everything I do. I think I prefer the old A level idea, which was the top 10% get an A, 20% get a B and so on. Also the papers were much harder but you only were expected to get 70%. So mistakes were not so crucial. Also harder papers judged people better were the top people were the people who could do a question, rather than the top people being the ones who were either lucky or very careful, rather than talented. I'm not sure how I would respond to this, but I hate the expectation to do well, and I don't want to fell really annoyed for dropping a couple of marks from inevitable mistakes.

I dislike NM partly because I can't check my answers as easily as the pure modules, and particularly FP1, with my snazzy graphics calculator.

should swap families then because mine don't even know if I go to a college or 6th form. There's really no pressure to do well apart from the pressure you give yourself. Still, both sides of the spectrum have their good points and bad points. There's always STEP papers and whatever for what you're talking about though.
Reply 22
Tallon
should swap families then because mine don't even know if I go to a college or 6th form. There's really no pressure to do well apart from the pressure you give yourself. Still, both sides of the spectrum have their good points and bad points. There's always STEP papers and whatever for what you're talking about though.

Mine don't pressure me, but both my parent have maths degrees, and did well in A level maths, also my sisters is good at maths also. So there is a lot of competition within our family to do well in maths! Nearly half of my family and relatives are charted accountants!
Chriz M

I feel for you man, I really do!
Chriz M

Agreed.
You've just gotta love graph calculators :biggrin:
Reply 24
I feel so inadequate lmao
Reply 25
chernij
I feel for you man, I really do!

Agreed.
You've just gotta love graph calculators :biggrin:

I've you don't use one, you really lose out. The fx-991ES is good, but graphics calculators are awesome. Pity you can't use them in physics.

I find the multiple lines of answers in the normal calculation mode useful too. I just wish I have the fx-9860g II which can do surds!

I'm amazed even people who have them can't be bothered to learn how to use them. I think out of my class of 8 who have them , only 2 of us can use them, the others loss out big time!
Chriz M
I've you don't use one, you really lose out. The fx-991ES is good, but graphics calculators are awesome. Pity you can't use them in physics.

I find the multiple lines of answers in the normal calculation mode useful too. I just wish I have the fx-9860g II which can do surds!

I'm amazed even people who have them can't be bothered to learn how to use them. I think out of my class of 8 who have them , only 2 of us can use them, the others loss out big time!

I have a Sharp EL-9200. It was my brothers, and he's 28 now. He used it for his GCSEs. Really is cool. Thing is, it's so old, there's no instruction manual, and can't find one online :angry:
Reply 27
chernij
I have a Sharp EL-9200. It was my brothers, and he's 28 now. He used it for his GCSEs. Really is cool. Thing is, it's so old, there's no instruction manual, and can't find one online :angry:

I've found the manual online, would you like the pdf copy?

I can't upload it as it is 5MB, if you PM your email address, I can email it to you.
Chriz M
I've found the manual online, would you like the pdf copy?

I can't upload it as it is 5MB, if you PM your email address, I can email it to you.

I got it, that's perfect.
Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 29
chernij
I got it, that's perfect.
Thank you very much :biggrin:

Hope it is useful. By the looks of it, you calculator can do quite a lot.
Chriz M
Hope it is useful. By the looks of it, you calculator can do quite a lot.

It certainly is useful :-)
It can do quite a lot, but it can't do algebraic differentiation or integration, so it's allowed in maths exams :biggrin:
Reply 31
chernij
It certainly is useful :-)
It can do quite a lot, but it can't do algebraic differentiation or integration, so it's allowed in maths exams :biggrin:

Just remember to clear the memory, and make sure the setting are correct. Also check you batteries are new, or bring spares. Mine uses batteries really fast!

++++++++++++ Don't forget to ensure it is in the correct mode, you want it to give you the answers you expect!!++++++++++++
Chriz M
Just remember to clear the memory, and make sure the setting are correct. Also check you batteries are new, or bring spares. Mine uses batteries really fast!

++++++++++++ Don't forget to ensure it is in the correct mode, you want it to give you the answers you expect!!++++++++++++

Thanks, will do :biggrin:
I take a Casio 85-ES in anyway. First, if one fails I can use the other one. Second, I can have one in degrees and one in radians, and keep them in that way (useful for C2!)
Reply 33
chernij
Thanks, will do :biggrin:
I take a Casio 85-ES in anyway. First, if one fails I can use the other one. Second, I can have one in degrees and one in radians, and keep them in that way (useful for C2!)

I take two in also. My Casio fx 85-ES also does surds which can be really useful. The problem I find with my graphics calculator is the lack of a degrees/radian icon.
Reply 34
I take 2 calculators too, Casio fx-82 MS. and the TI84 Plus.

By the way guys, anyone have the exam paper/ answers?

Latest

Trending

Trending