The Student Room Group

GCSE Art Coursework Moderation

Does this ever actually happen?
There are some rumors at my school that it's possible for peoples Art coursework (marked internally).

How does it work? Do they move the whole year down one grade? Or something?

The exam board is AQA by the way.

Thanks.

Edit: I mean when the work gets moderated.
Not sure exactly what you're asking but the examination board will ask for a few pieces of coursework and moderate the marks (ie. see if the teacher has awarded the correct marks). If they feel the marks are wrong they will either take in all the work from everyone and remark it or move everyone up/down by the marks they feel are correct. But it would never be a WHOLE grade for everyone - just a few marks. That's what we've been told in our coursework.

This may be different for AQA as all my exams are CCEA but I'd say they do something similar.
kaliedoscope
Not sure exactly what you're asking but the examination board will ask for a few pieces of coursework and moderate the marks (ie. see if the teacher has awarded the correct marks). If they feel the marks are wrong they will either take in all the work from everyone and remark it or move everyone up/down by the marks they feel are correct. But it would never be a WHOLE grade for everyone - just a few marks.

But these few marks could be a whole grade, right?
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure all my year's exam work was marked externally. I honestly can't remember though, so don't hold me to that :ninja:
Yeah, they could be the difference in grade boundaries obviously but coursework is rarely marked down and if so not drastically. Perhaps 1, 2 marks.

What are the 'rumours' going round? How would anyone know what the examiners decided?
Reply 5
supercoolfred
But these few marks could be a whole grade, right?

Yes, if you happen to be on the borderline of a grade.
BramsSTFU
I'm pretty sure all my year's exam work was marked externally. I honestly can't remember though, so don't hold me to that :ninja:

My art was marked internally, and then twice externally. Possibly just the exam board though. I think mine do it to stop personal preference getting in the way. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I heard that Ive your teacher gives you an A* for art and youve only got 2 coursework after moderation your courswork will be a B because you need 4 coursworks for an A*.. But Im not sure though
kaliedoscope
Yeah, they could be the difference in grade boundaries obviously but coursework is rarely marked down and if so not drastically. Perhaps 1, 2 marks.

What are the 'rumours' going round? How would anyone know what the examiners decided?

Basically there are two art classes in my school:

One with a new teacher who has made people do LOADS of work for their Art

The other (mine) with the teacher who's been here for 17 years and has never got anyone below a C.

He's said he's putting me in as an A* in my coursework and exam, but everyone from the other class has said that I wont get this mark because he's a "cheat" and our work will get moderated down so I'll only get an A.
cuteyno1
I heard that Ive your teacher gives you an A* for art and youve only got 2 coursework after moderation your courswork will be a B because you need 4 coursworks for an A*.. But Im not sure though

I'm not sure what board you do, but in AQA you have a choice - 4, 3, or 2 topics of coursework. (Obviously they need to be appropriately portioned).
supercoolfred
Basically there are two art classes in my school:

One with a new teacher who has made people do LOADS of work for their Art

The other (mine) with the teacher who's been here for 17 years and has never got anyone below a C.

He's said he's putting me in as an A* in my coursework and exam, but everyone from the other class has said that I wont get this mark because he's a "cheat" and our work will get moderated down so I'll only get an A.

In that case, don't worry about it!
From my perspective, it looks like they're just jealous because they were made to do so much work and aren't sitting on as high a grade as you.
They don't know what the examiners are going to think so seriously, chill out!
kaliedoscope
In that case, don't worry about it!
From my perspective, it looks like they're just jealous because they were made to do so much work and aren't sitting on as high a grade as you.
They don't know what the examiners are going to think so seriously, chill out!

I cant!!! Like I'm really worried because I've worked so hard these past few months and then all the people in the other class are saying stuff like "hes just cheating to get you it" etc etc. I know it does seem like they are just jealous.

Do they moderate both teachers as one? Or is it separate?
Reply 12
When my brother did his GCSE art coursework. The external examiner was given a list of all the pupils and then he chose which pupils work he wanted to see.
A computer generates random candidate numbers from everyone doing an art gcse in your centre. There may be nobody in your class, or all of your class.

Look, even if your grade DID go down, it will be a very high A at worst. If yours DOES go down, theirs will too! So I don't know what they're being so smug about.

Your teacher has been teaching Art for 17 years, you said so yourself. I'm sure he's perfectly capable and you know this. It's out of your hands now anyway.
kaliedoscope
A computer generates random candidate numbers from everyone doing an art gcse in your centre. There may be nobody in your class, or all of your class.

Look, even if your grade DID go down, it will be a very high A at worst. If yours DOES go down, theirs will too! So I don't know what they're being so smug about.

Your teacher has been teaching Art for 17 years, you said so yourself. I'm sure he's perfectly capable and you know this. It's out of your hands now anyway.

Oh so BOTH sets got down by the same amount of marks? So they do it per centre, not per teacher then?

It's not quite out of my hands. Our FINAL deadline is on Friday. But pretty much I guess.

Do you know what the grade boundaries are for Art?
Reply 15
Well, when handing in everything today (woohoo!), my teacher glanced through it and said that when she marks it, she's going to try and get every possible mark from it. The procedure as far as I know for our school is that a few courseworks are selected at random and moderated. If too many marks are being given (or perhaps too few?), then all of the courseworks will be moderated, and be re-marked as such.

For a subject like Art, internal marking is probably quite biased - giving as many marks as possible without the moderators having a problem with it.
My works been chosen to show the examiner and basically a moderator is coming in to the school and marking them 'cause they're going up on display =/ worried...but yeah if the moderators think that our teacher has given us too high or too low a mark they basically change everyone's mark higher or lower depending
Original post by kaliedoscope
Not sure exactly what you're asking but the examination board will ask for a few pieces of coursework and moderate the marks (ie. see if the teacher has awarded the correct marks). If they feel the marks are wrong they will either take in all the work from everyone and remark it or move everyone up/down by the marks they feel are correct. But it would never be a WHOLE grade for everyone - just a few marks. That's what we've been told in our coursework.

This may be different for AQA as all my exams are CCEA but I'd say they do something similar.

I understand I am replying 6 years later...sorry but I was just wondering when they take the work in to re-mark if the moderator does not feel like the right mark was given? Would they re-mark it all straight away on the moderation day? Or would they make the school aware say a week later and come in again to re-mark?

Quick Reply

Latest