The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Having a low BMI isn't good. The scale of BMI is considered 20-25as healthy and the reason it goes to 18 is that some people are naturally skinny. My friend is naturally skinny and her BMI is about 18. A low BMI is not good at any age, you should probably ask your doctor if it continues to fall about the health implications. Some tests to check blood pressure etc, because your BMI is so low you may be getting the energy you need so you don't feel weak but may not be getting the right vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Anyone saying its okay to have a low BMI could be right but it's not worth the risk, ask a doctor for advice.
I think it partly depends on your "natural weight".

I lived with a girl from Malaysia last year and she went to our GP because she was desparate to gain weight (her bmi was < 16 and she looked like a stick!). Anyway she was basically told that her bmi was fine, cos Asian people have a lower healthy range than Europeans. She ate loads and did zero exercise!

When I saw my GP with a BMI of 16 cos of an ED she said I was very underweight, bradycardic and risking some kind of damage to my heart valves and sent me off to a nutritionist. She also said 18.5 - 20 is only healthy as long as you're not undereating/overexercising to stay at that weight and people with bmi between 20-25 should not try to aim to have bmi <20

CC x
I have a BMI of 15 and I'm perfectly healthy. So I'd say you're fine :smile:
Reply 23
Mines 14.8, I'm completely healthy. Not even what you would call 'skinny'. I don't think it works very well for young people, I really woudn't worry.

EDIT: Oh gosh, I'm a total moron. I just checked it and its 16.4, not 14.8. I think the scales I used to get 14.8 were horrendously inacurrate (biology lesson) because our whole class had surprisingly low BMIs. Apologies everyone, going to hide in a corner.
Mushaboom
I think a general indication is if your still having periods - if you are then that's your bodies way of saying your healthy. And I'm all good on that front so not to worry

Thats true, it varies on the individual. most of the women in my family are pretty skinny but all have periods. i think our bmis are all around 17ish

However one of my friends did have an ed for a while - she was made to gain weight to a bmi of 20 but still didn't get her periods back. So i think it depends a lot on the individual.

Some people just probably need to be at a higher weight for their bodies to function properly I think, if you're unsure then forget about those weight charts and go see your GP or a dietician?
For everyone saying "my BMI's 14/15/16 and I'm fine", how do you know you're fine? And how do you know you'll be fine in 10 years? And even if you are fine (eg. cos you're under 17, Asian, or just naturally skinny), it doesn't mean the same applies to the OP and everyone else!

I guess fertility issues / osteoporosis / heart problems will affect different people at different weights. OP, how did you lose the weight recently? and do you have to restrict your diet or exercise loads to maintain your weight?

Personally I would say if your finding it tough to maintain your weight and stop it increasing, then its too low for you. I've done it myself and looking back I can't believe how stupid I was to put my health at risk for the sake of vanity.

Just my opinion CC x
Reply 26
Mushaboom
Mine is 15.1 which sounds worrying - but as far as I can tell I have no adverse health issues?
So who cares!?

EDIT:Actually, 15.3 ... makes all the difference!

Do you have periods? Because, apparently, 15 is at starvation point.
Reply 27
It's quite worrying how many girls/guys with a BMI of 15 or under deem themselves healthy.

Do you have periods?

Underweight = < 18.5

Whilst you may have a BMI of 16 or 17 and still be relatively healthy, 15 is dangerously low. Unless you're eating enough, have periods etc. you ought to seek medical advice.
Reply 28
mya369
Mines 14.8, I'm completely healthy. Not even what you would call 'skinny'. I don't think it works very well for young people, I really woudn't worry.

Are you under the age of 13?
I think everyone is forgetting that there is a difference between being naturally a low BMI and "losing a bit of weight" to get there.

OP: You can have a flat stomach and still have a healthy BMI - don't judge think "oh some people have a BMI of 16 so I'll be fine" because its wrong.
Reply 30
BMI is, in this case, useless. It does not measure body fat, for one.
That's pretty slim, the norm is 20- 25. I dunno what I am, haven't checked in a while. About 22 I think

Low BMI is dangerous because your body needs fat reserves to use as energy, otherwise it starts using protein i.e. muscle to burn. Your heart is a muscle, so you can be at risk of heart failure. I'd put on that 5 pounds to keep yourself safe. Put it on sensibly with igh carb/protein foods. If you don't want to lose your flat tummy, do a sit up routine and stomach crunches, so the 5 pounds hopefully will sit somewhere else. At the end of the day though, your health is more important than a flat stomach
mya369

That's like being 5'2" and weighing 5st11. Of course you're skinny. If you think you're not, you probably have distorted body image.
Laus
It's quite worrying how many girls/guys with a BMI of 15 or under deem themselves healthy.

Do you have periods?

Underweight = < 18.5

Whilst you may have a BMI of 16 or 17 and still be relatively healthy, 15 is dangerously low. Unless you're eating enough, have periods etc. you ought to seek medical advice.

:sadnod:

:dontknow:
Reply 34
When I weighed between 6 stone and 6'4 I didn't have periods, couldn't sit down without getting sore spots on my bottom, my hair was thinning and I was skinny. My BMI was around the 15 mark. So, being 15 or under, and saying you're not even slim, is a bit :s:.
This thread makes me feel fat :frown:

Mine is 24.1, 5"10 and 166lbs or something.
Reply 36
Laus
Are you under the age of 13?

I'm 17...

I'm a bit confused... could the person that negged me tell me why?? I don't mind if you post anonymously. I was merely pointing out that a BMI is not neccessarily a good indicator of whether someone is healthy as it doesn't work well for teenagers. I can assure you that I am perfectly healthy, no body issues or anything like that, periods are there, naturally slim but honestly I do not look skinny. I measured by BMI in a bio lesson and my friend's was 15 or something as well, she's also physically healthy. Sarting to think the scales were innacurate :s-smilie:

I know its hard to understand because I can't prove it, but I am failing to see how my post deserved neg rep! :frown:
You might look fine now but in a few years you might not look so good and could drop dead of a heart attack because your body has no fat or muscle to rely on and uses what is around your heart! Sorry I heard this a lot...

If you are still having periods I would say you are okay. Not having periods is not normal. I had a BMI of about 16.8 at one point and did not have periods for 3 years. I was 5'9" and 113lbs? They have come back now but I weigh a lot more now unfortunately. :/
Reply 38
I'd be more worried about being a pretentious ginger, if I were you.
Reply 39
mya369
I'm 17...

I'm a bit confused... could the person that negged me tell me why?? I don't mind if you post anonymously. I was merely pointing out that a BMI is not neccessarily a good indicator of whether someone is healthy as it doesn't work well for teenagers. I can assure you that I am perfectly healthy, no body issues or anything like that, periods are there, naturally slim but honestly I do not look skinny. I measured by BMI in a bio lesson and my friend's was 15 or something as well, she's also physically healthy. Sarting to think the scales were innacurate :s-smilie:

I know its hard to understand because I can't prove it, but I am failing to see how my post deserved neg rep! :frown:

Well, it wasn't me who negged you.

I'm glad you still have periods etc.

Latest