Problems with the Design Argument? Watch

This discussion is closed.
CinderellaDontGo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok so the Design Argument is as follows:

''If you were to see a watch in the middle of a field, you would know that the watch had a designer as the watch is complex, the cogs go round which moves the arms. The same applies to the Earth and the Universe, The universe is complex and orderly so therefore the Universe must have a designer who is powerful. This designer is God''

Now, what are the problems with this argument? I need to know for my Religious Studies exam next week, cheers.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The problem is God doesn't exist.

ho ho ho
CinderellaDontGo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
The problem is God doesn't exist.

ho ho ho
yes im aware of that but one of the questions may want me to explain to what extent the design argument is convincing, so i need to find weaknesses.
AwesomeAnt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
Ok so the Design Argument is as follows:

''If you were to see a watch in the middle of a field, you would know that the watch had a designer as the watch is complex, the cogs go round which moves the arms. The same applies to the Earth and the Universe, The universe is complex and orderly so therefore the Universe must have a designer who is powerful. This designer is God''

Now, what are the problems with this argument? I need to know for my Religious Studies exam next week, cheers.
Its bad anology comparing Technology to something that is organic.

The watch had multiple designers, which could be both male and female of what ever cultural background/sexuality/health etc which goes against there being a single, all powerfull, God.

The design of the watch would of had multiple stages such as prototypes and prototypes have faults which practically says that god isn't all that intellectual; I suppose it also goes against the 7 days it took to create Earth as well...

I'll go dig up my old philosophy notes and get back to you :p:

Edit: Or you could go Google these arguments
rosieee91
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Attached is one of the many revision booklets my Philosophy teacher gave us in year 12!

Skip to page 40/69 and it's all about the Design Argument. Hume's criticisms, Mill's challenges and Darwinist challenges are all on the following pages.

If you're doing OCR that whole booklet should help you with your exam...hope it's useful! :yes:
Attached files
andy5788
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Evolution, basically.
A is for Awesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes im aware of that but one of the questions may want me to explain to what extent the design argument is convincing, so i need to find weaknesses.
Use your brain. If you can't work it out yourself you don't deserve to pass the exam, do you.
AwesomeAnt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by A is for Awesome)
Use your brain. If you can't work it out yourself you don't deserve to pass the exam, do you.
Nobody can prove if God exists or not. So his argument is flawed :p:
CinderellaDontGo
Rep:
?
(Original post by A is for Awesome)
It's called REVISION!

I have come up with a few problems with the design argument, im sorry I just wanted some more.

I didn't know it was illegal to ask for peoples help :rolleyes:
CinderellaDontGo
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosieee91)
Attached is one of the many revision booklets my Philosophy teacher gave us in year 12!

Skip to page 40/69 and it's all about the Design Argument. Hume's criticisms, Mill's challenges and Darwinist challenges are all on the following pages.

If you're doing OCR that whole booklet should help you with your exam...hope it's useful! :yes:
Thanks so much, this is really helpful
Dashavoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even if the teleological argument (the argument to which you refer) did prove the existence of a designer, it wouldn't prove the existence of the Christians' omnipotent, omni-benevolent, omniscient god.
A is for Awesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't know it was illegal to ask for peoples help :rolleyes:
Didn't you get the memo?
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are quite a few, a good start would be to read Wikipedia's entry on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_argument and probably also reading some of its sources.

You could also use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design since an omnipotent designer shouldn't have designed so poorly but more importantly, the designer added features that to the best of our knowledge have no real purpose, something you wouldn't expect to find in a designed watch.
manderlay in flames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's basically an argument from ignorance "I cannot think of a way for this to have happened other than the one I propose therefore the one I propose is true"

As someone else said, evolution basically
Dashavoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by c2uk)
the designer added features that to the best of our knowledge have no real purpose, something you wouldn't expect to find in a designed watch.
Yes, to the best of our knowledge, however perhaps we haven't realised yet that that beeping noise at half seven every morning serves a purpose.
Just because we haven't understood the reasoning behind something yet, it doesn't mean that it isn't there, or that we won't eventually come to appreciate it.

(I don't like the teleological argument, I just like playing devil's advocate)
AwesomeAnt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by manderlay in flames)
It's basically an argument from ignorance "I cannot think of a way for this to have happened other than the one I propose therefore the one I propose is true"

As someone else said, evolution basically
He'll not get many marks for a simple answer like that
CinderellaDontGo
Rep:
?
(Original post by AwesomeAnt)
I know, I don't think putting ''EVOLUTION'' in the exam will get me many (if any) marks.
manderlay in flames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AwesomeAnt)
Dunno, I got 10 A*s for "simple answers like that".

So basically, suck it.
Charzhino
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How does evolution explain the origin of the universe :s
manderlay in flames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charzhino)
How does evolution explain the origin of the universe :s
The argument from design does not traditionally concern the origin of the universe, if you read it he's talking about the origin of humans/aniimals.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (12)
8.22%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (16)
10.96%
No, but maybe I will look into it (40)
27.4%
No and I wouldn't consider it (78)
53.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise