The Student Room Group

what the **** is wrong with my belly button piercing?! PLEASE HELP

I got my belly button pierced in March, up until now it has been all fine and dandy, no infections, no pain, nothing. HOWEVER last night when I was cleaning it, I noticed what I can only describe as a lump of my INSIDES on the outside, like a growth coming through the piercing hole at the bottom. Yes its GROSS. Its red and squishy and hurts if i squeuze it (I tried pulling it off lol) and its only visible when I pull the bottom of my belly bar out a bit, its underneath the jewellery on the lower side of my piercing. I'm not stupid and I am going to the piercing salon TODAY to get their opinion on it... however I am extremely worried and wanna know if this has happened to anyone else!!

soooo ???

Scroll to see replies

Sounds pretty awful :frown: Has it always been like that or did it happen recently?
Reply 2
i just noticed it last night, it appeared within the last 48 hours
http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/skin1/images/problems/hypertrophic_scar_tissue.jpg

Is it like this? You need to stop messing with it (don't keep taking it out) and keep doing your cleaning routine. This should be dissolving some salt in boiling water, letting it cool a bit and then using a flannel/cotton wool ball/clean cloth and putting it over the whole area for a few minutes, re-wetting the material so it stays warm, plus then getting a cotton bud and cleaning the bar where it pokes out of the skin. No need to take it out - you're probably aggravating it! It's veeery common for navel piercings to get this. It's not an infection, don't worry.
Reply 4
brokenalien
http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/skin1/images/problems/hypertrophic_scar_tissue.jpg

Is it like this? You need to stop messing with it (don't keep taking it out) and keep doing your cleaning routine. This should be dissolving some salt in boiling water, letting it cool a bit and then using a flannel/cotton wool ball/clean cloth and putting it over the whole area for a few minutes, re-wetting the material so it stays warm, plus then getting a cotton bud and cleaning the bar where it pokes out of the skin. No need to take it out - you're probably aggravating it! It's veeery common for navel piercings to get this. It's not an infection, don't worry.

I wish it was as minor as that. This is like a lump, not just raised skin and redness. It doesn't come from the outside of my body. Its some kind of growth. I hope its not cancerous :s-smilie:
Ah yes in that case I know what you mean, I think. Is it sort of a bit... well, gooey? Unless it's hot to the touch and oozing a funny colour, I think you'll be fine with just keeping it clean with salt water (= saline solution) and trying not to touch/knock it. If it's hot and oozing, then you'll need to go to the doctor and get antibiotics. If it's infected, don't take it out whatever you do - it'll close up around the infection which is bad news.
Reply 6
my sister had the same thing on her ear piercing ( the 1 thats basically on the side of your face). Its called a celoid or something like that. Hers was pretty big but she just went to the pharmacy and got a cream for it and it went away within a week. However, she read up on it and if they are RELE big then it has to b removed surgicly. Just go straight to the pharmacy.
Reply 7
OH PHEW.

Thaaaaaaaaanks. I'm feeling much much much happier now that I know this has happened to other people and they haven't had to have body parts amputated :smile::smile::smile:
It won't be cancer! It's could just be a little herniation of tissue but it's hard to tell. If you are really worried go back to your piercer or alternatively see your GP.
Boo_2
OH PHEW.

Thaaaaaaaaanks. I'm feeling much much much happier now that I know this has happened to other people and they haven't had to have body parts amputated :smile::smile::smile:

I had the exact same thing happen to mine, so try not to panic :smile: I panicked as well, don't worry about it :o: I just carried on cleaning mine with the salt water solution and tried not to touch it and it cleared up on its own, so keep doing what you're doing and it will sort itself out.
Reply 10
Boo_2
OH PHEW.

dont worry!! my sister was rele worried too cos she just couldent get rid of it and it kept getting bigger. then as soon as she got this cream it was gone within a week. Hers was rele hard and red. Its rlee common with piercings, trust me. Hope u find the cream! xx
I think it's quite common, doesn't it happen before it's fully healed and 'raw' skin tissue gets exposed? I think that's why it's safer to have a bar than a ring, 'cause rings move more and expose this tissue which can become infected? I'm not an expert so could be wrong but I know a lot of people whose inside skin tissue got infected after they kept playing with the bar and 'prodding' this tissue bit. Don't worry it will heal :smile: Keep it clean and try not to move the bar too :smile:
Reply 12
small hernia perhaps
Reply 13
why do people think belly button piercing is sexy?
Reply 14
King4eva
why do people think belly button piercing is sexy?

Why is that relevant?

And to everyone who posted advice thaaaank you! I went back to the place where I got it pierced yesterday and my oh my the man there was confused, he said he'd never seen it before! He just told me to keep cleaning it with salt water twice a day and it should clear up on its own, and its nothing to worry about. Its a lot smaller today so hopefully it will vanish completely soon!

:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 15
I have a really big lump under my belly piercing and really worried its hard and under skin ! Help please
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same thing and it kills. I feel like the bar is too short
What’s the cream name ?
Original post by ZaraLara
my sister had the same thing on her ear piercing ( the 1 thats basically on the side of your face). Its called a celoid or something like that. Hers was pretty big but she just went to the pharmacy and got a cream for it and it went away within a week. However, she read up on it and if they are RELE big then it has to b removed surgicly. Just go straight to the pharmacy.

What’s the cream name ??
I have this too it’s so weird!!!