The Student Room Group

A Level Options

Bit stuck as to what options to take so far its out of...

English Literature, Drama, Maths, Biology, Chemistry

(Obviously I can only take 4)

I hope to be able to go to drama college so I need to take Drama and English Lit is also good to take.

I also want to take 2 out of Biology, Chemistry and Maths if drama school doesn't work out. But don't know which ones to take! Which ones to people recomend?

I was thinking Maths and then I'll chose whichever I get the best grade out of Chemistry and Biology...?

Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would do English, Dama, Maths and Chemistry

Good variety

You should look into what's better out of chemistry or biology
Reply 2
I was wondering what courses you would be able to do with 2 subjects out of Chemistry, Maths and Biology?
I'm predicted A's in all of those subjects in GCSE so hopefully I should be okay with a level ?
Reply 3
Chemistry and Biology is a good choice along with eachother.
Theres a variety of courses which you can get into in Uni; like Medicine, dentistry, doctor, optometry etc, etc.

But it really is depending on what you enjoy the most. (:
Reply 4
if you want to do something in the medical field keep biology and chemistry, also maths is a very strong subject so u should keep that!.....i'm not too sure if drama would do you any good....also i think eng lit is a very good choice, because it's a strong subject and universities such as ucl love people that take art, eng lit etc :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah but for a drama school hopeful I need drama :smile: ... Would you be able to go into medicine with Chemistry, Maths and English ? What courses can you take with Chemsitry Maths and English ?
Reply 6
Hmm, I dont think they'd take you if you only got chemistry on its own. Biology is important to medcine. :smile:
Biology and chemistry should be taken together, or it'll be a little too weak on it's own, i reckon.
Emma_xo
Yeah but for a drama school hopeful I need drama :smile: ... Would you be able to go into medicine with Chemistry, Maths and English ? What courses can you take with Chemsitry Maths and English ?

no.
Reply 8
Ahh just realised I can't take Biology Chemistry Theatre Studies and English Lit .. and the sixth form i want to go to !! :frown:
Reply 9
Emma_xo
Ahh just realised I can't take Biology Chemistry Theatre Studies and English Lit .. and the sixth form i want to go to !! :frown:

What sixth form doesn't allow you to take those subjects?:s-smilie:
Reply 10
becauses it doesn't fit in with the time table :frown:
Reply 11
Emma_xo
Bit stuck as to what options to take so far its out of...

English Literature, Drama, Maths, Biology, Chemistry

(Obviously I can only take 4)

I hope to be able to go to drama college so I need to take Drama and English Lit is also good to take.

I also want to take 2 out of Biology, Chemistry and Maths if drama school doesn't work out. But don't know which ones to take! Which ones to people recomend?

I was thinking Maths and then I'll chose whichever I get the best grade out of Chemistry and Biology...?

Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks :smile:

Personally Ive taken bio chem maths and eng lit. Its a fantastic range although U really will loose your social life over bio lol. Im thinkin of droppin bio next year but chem eng and maths are fab! go for it :wink:
I'm having the same problem, I want to take Biology, English lit and possibly sociology, I'd like to take Chemistry but don't think I'm smart enough for that... Does anyone know if taking Health and Social care is recognised at universities?
Reply 13
Chemistry is a joy compared to biology. I think you'd enjoy it.. it depends on yourself really. If you enjoy a fusion of maths and chemical sciences then you'll find it fab. Forensic science is quite a competitive feild so choosing chem as well as just bio will take you far. Not sure about health and social. It sounds good as im doing my a levels currently i think chem would be a better choice.

Be careful with biology though ...seriously - it use to be one of my fave subjects but taking it for A levels has just really made the subject about exams exams and rotten exams. If you trully trully enjoy bio then go for it. Gud luk :smile: x
Reply 14
by the way... Universities love to see a student with a range of abilities so a nice and varied range of subjects that show off you multi skills is worth takin into consideration :biggrin: x (not jus sciences and maths, try combining the sciences with arts, etc..)
Reply 15
Arooj786
by the way... Universities love to see a student with a range of abilities so a nice and varied range of subjects that show off you multi skills is worth takin into consideration :biggrin: x (not jus sciences and maths, try combining the sciences with arts, etc..)

but what courses could you do with a variety of science and arts? I thought uni's like people with a clear career in mind.
Is Chemistry easier than Biology at A level? I struggle with it at GCSE, but maybe that's because I haven't worked as hard for it as I should have. I would also like to take it at Sixth Form but don't know if I have enough knowledge for it etcetc. :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Emma_xo
but what courses could you do with a variety of science and arts? I thought uni's like people with a clear career in mind.

Its good to have a clear career but at the same time if you decide to choose maths physics bio and chem...they'll just see you as a medical student and nothing else. Nowadays Unis prefer to interview and take in students who show a variety of different skills . And that way you could also keep your choices open. You dont have to keep it till A2, you can take an art for AS and drop it for A2. But a range like chem bio maths and english or , chem bio history and maths...things like that Unis love to see. And plus a choice like that makes life much easier becuase all sciences will get all a bit too much for A2 (remember..maths is also accepted as another science now too..)
Reply 18
hellisaurus
Is Chemistry easier than Biology at A level? I struggle with it at GCSE, but maybe that's because I haven't worked as hard for it as I should have. I would also like to take it at Sixth Form but don't know if I have enough knowledge for it etcetc. :s-smilie:

I wouldn't say its easier. It totally depends on what you like and the way you learn. The thing with bio is that the AMOUNT you have to remember and learn is phenominal wheras chemisty is almost the same but less pressurising if you know where im coming from...with bio if you havent worked hard as GCSE for it then no point takin it for AS. if you have..then go for it! and with bio you will find that you spend more time on it than your other subjects so make sure you can choose subjects where you find your spending time on each equally..(tricky stuff but my tip would be to choose things you enjoy as well as ones tht would lead you to a suitable career.)
Arooj786
I wouldn't say its easier. It totally depends on what you like and the way you learn. The thing with bio is that the AMOUNT you have to remember and learn is phenominal wheras chemisty is almost the same but less pressurising if you know where im coming from...with bio if you havent worked hard as GCSE for it then no point takin it for AS. if you have..then go for it! and with bio you will find that you spend more time on it than your other subjects so make sure you can choose subjects where you find your spending time on each equally..(tricky stuff but my tip would be to choose things you enjoy as well as ones tht would lead you to a suitable career.)

Thanks, that was helpful :smile: Do you think I should take Chemistry? I'm just scared that I'll take it, then not understand a thing and fail epically :| As I struggled on some parts of the GCSE course... But maybe I'll just have to buck up a bit for Sixth Form :wink:

Latest