The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tragic event.

I hope though that people don't get crazy and paranoid about being attacked by terrorists like they seem to have done in the US.
i wish britain hadnt got involved!! shlda just left it to the americans, god knows they end up with all the credit and reap the most financially.
Reply 22
I was amazed to hear Jack Straw say that because of all the support over 50 odd years that Turkey had given to UK, our government are going to do their best to 'fast track' them into EU membership!
They have not been accepted thus far because of their terrible record on human rights - has this record now become irrelevant?
Reply 23
I support the USA, it seems like these people who burned the USA flag In london were supporting the view of Saddam. These people had nothing to do with the war so them.
Reply 24
brasil85
I support the USA, it seems like these people who burned the USA flag In london were supporting the view of Saddam. These people had nothing to do with the war so them.

burning the flag was indeed scandalous.
Reply 25
Why was it scandelous?
Why should you support saddam if you do burn flags?
Why do ppl think that if your against bush you are pro-saddam?

These are silly, ungrounded, pathetic arguments!!1
Reply 26
Mad Caddie
Why was it scandelous?
Why should you support saddam if you do burn flags?
Why do ppl think that if your against bush you are pro-saddam?

These are silly, ungrounded, pathetic arguments!!1

what? you are indeed mad..
Reply 27
Well...explain why then?
Reply 28
Mad Caddie
Well...explain why then?

what?????
Reply 29
Why am i mad?
Vienna - I think Mad Caddie was suggesting, correctly IMO, that anyone nowadays who is anti-war, or anti-bush is automatically branded pro Saddam. I mean shit, some democratic society we live in - it's basically saying "you either agree with America/The Coalition, or you're with the enemy". It's not that black and white. It's entirely possible to be anti-saddam (like anyone in their right mind would be) and, at the same time, hold the opinion that the war was illegal, unjustified, that Bush has unleashed massive chaos unto the world and that the US have much to answer for. The only people that would see this as being "pro saddam" are media brainwashed sheep. Baaah.

:smile:
Reply 31
chimp_spanner
Vienna - I think Mad Caddie was suggesting, correctly IMO, that anyone nowadays who is anti-war, or anti-bush is automatically branded pro Saddam. I mean shit, some democratic society we live in - it's basically saying "you either agree with America/The Coalition, or you're with the enemy". It's not that black and white. It's entirely possible to be anti-saddam (like anyone in their right mind would be) and, at the same time, hold the opinion that the war was illegal, unjustified, that Bush has unleashed massive chaos unto the world and that the US have much to answer for. The only people that would see this as being "pro saddam" are media brainwashed sheep. Baaah.

:smile:

so what has that got to do with the american people and the american nation?

i would also add that burning an effigy of Bush in a replay of what happened to the statue of Saddam in april, seems to be 'making comparison' if you ask me.

http://www.nationalreview.com/frum/diary112103.asp
Uhh...what a question to ask :-\ Everything I would of thought?

It has to do with the american people because the majority of them are only given a view of the world supplied to them by an overtly pro-republican/pro-bush/pro-war media. As a result they, as a people, are becomingly increasinly self-assured of their position of might and power and authority in the world, and for the most part, never think to question it (for fear of being branded a bleeding heart left wing Saddam lover *sigh*)

And it has to do with America, the nation, cos.......well I don't think that even needs explaining. It's the American nation who initiated the war, it's the American nation who are partially responsible for fuelling much of the hate for the West. I'd concede that we were never in the good books with that part of the world in the first place, but recent events (i.e. a big friggin illegal war) haven't exactly helped have they.

**And perhaps flag/effigy burning isn't exactly constructive, but hey aren't we a people who promote free speech and expression? This is clearly people expressing frustration at a super-power that has gone unchecked for so many years bringing trouble to various parts of the world for too long. To label them "pro saddam" is trying to stifle that expression of frustration, and so is shitting on the very values we CLAIM to be trying to export to Iraq!
Reply 33
chimp_spanner
Uhh...what a question to ask :-\ Everything I would of thought?

It has to do with the american people because the majority of them are only given a view of the world supplied to them by an overtly pro-republican/pro-bush/pro-war media. As a result they, as a people, are becomingly increasinly self-assured of their position of might and power and authority in the world, and for the most part, never think to question it (for fear of being branded a bleeding heart left wing Saddam lover *sigh*)

And it has to do with America, the nation, cos.......well I don't think that even needs explaining. It's the American nation who initiated the war, it's the American nation who are partially responsible for fuelling much of the hate for the West. I'd concede that we were never in the good books with that part of the world in the first place, but recent events (i.e. a big friggin illegal war) haven't exactly helped have they.

do you know any americans? i have to say nonetheless that is one of the most ridiculous unintelligent comments ive had the displeasure of reading on this forum.
Ha, I know plenty of Americans: my dad, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, friends, friends of friends. Don't assume anything.

And don't assume either that you are in a position to label anyone unintelligent when you support an utterly moronic post like:

"I support the USA, it seems like these people who burned the USA flag In london were supporting the view of Saddam. These people had nothing to do with the war so them"

If my post was so ridiculously unintelligent then tear it down point by point and tell me why I'm wrong, and you're right.

**Edit, okay, I took out the point about grammar and spelling cos I read it again and it makes sense - it's only fair play, and I'm not a complete asshole
Reply 35
vienna95
do you know any americans? i have to say nonetheless that is one of the most ridiculous unintelligent comments ive had the displeasure of reading on this forum.

I know lots of americans - they all live in America and like chimp_spanner says they have a blinkered assessment of their government because they are not exposed to the outside world -as they would be if they lived elsewhere.
Any opinion that differs from yours, is unitelligent is it?
I think chimp_spanner has summed it up right.
Reply 36
chimp_spanner
Ha, I know plenty of Americans: my dad, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, friends, friends of friends. Don't assume anything.

And don't assume either that you are in a position to label anyone unintelligent when you support an utterly moronic post like:

"I support the USA, it seems like these people who burned the USA flag In london were supporting the view of Saddam. These people had nothing to do with the war so them"

If my post was so ridiculously unintelligent then tear it down point by point and tell me why I'm wrong, and you're right.

**Edit, okay, I took out the point about grammar and spelling cos I read it again and it makes sense - it's only fair play, and I'm not a complete asshole

i) where are my assumptions? it looked like a question to me.
ii) where did i support that comment.
iii) point proven.
Reply 37
yawn1
I know lots of americans - they all live in America and like chimp_spanner says they have a blinkered assessment of their government because they are not exposed to the outside world -as they would be if they lived elsewhere.
Any opinion that differs from yours, is unitelligent is it?
I think chimp_spanner has summed it up right.

every american lives in america and they are all blinkered. hmm...
Actually I read that more like:

"I know lots of americans, who live in america, and they all have a blinkered world view"

And I, and my dad (who knows alot more americans than I ever will...being american and all) shares that same experience of Americans.
Reply 39
yawn1
I was amazed to hear Jack Straw say that because of all the support over 50 odd years that Turkey had given to UK, our government are going to do their best to 'fast track' them into EU membership!
They have not been accepted thus far because of their terrible record on human rights - has this record now become irrelevant?

Correction, the main objective of the european union is to prevent turkey from entry until they give up cyprus, hence the greek veto. This is the reason why they accepted the 'Republic of Cyprus' (so called doesnt represent a single turkish person) into the EU next march.

They want Turkey to pull out its troops so Greece can carry out its dream of Enosis from 1963 into full throttle!

Latest

Trending

Trending