The Student Room Group

The Renewable Energy Degree Thread

I was looking for a place for more information about renewable energy degrees however i have been unable to stumble across anything relating solely to studying renewable energy. SO i thought i'd start a place where prospective Renewable Energyers (need a better name for that :P) can talk and discuss the subject.

(i hope this is posted in the correct section!)

What does studying Renewable Energy involve?

The courses are obviously going to be different from university to university. However there seems to be a similar theme with maths and physics taking up parts of most of the courses. So if you enjoy these subjects then it may be for you!

Where can you study renewable energy?

Only a few universities do a undergraduate degree in Renewable Energy however more universities offer a Masters Course in Renewable Energy. It just depends on which option you are willing to go with.

Undergraduate Degrees

University of Exeter (Cornwall Campus) - BSc in Renewable Energy
Typical/ Minimum offer: Can't find at the moment though i thought it was quite high

University of Dundee
- BSc or MSci in Renewable Energy
Typical/ Minimum offer: 240 UCAS points (CCC at A-Level)

De Montford University - BSc in Green Energy Technology
Typical/ Minimum offer: 240 UCAS points (CCC at A-Level)

Graduate Courses

Some people have suggested doing an undergraduate degree course in engineering, physics, maths, chemistry ect. and then doing a masters degree in renewable energy. Here are some options for those who are going down that path. You could also look at doing a degree in sustainable development.

There are quite a few courses so bare with me as i try to find them across the internet!

University of Edinburgh - Mechanical Engineering with Renewable Energy MEng
Typical/ Minimum offer: BBB at A-Level or BBBB for Scottish Highers
You can actually take this course as an undergraduate, completing the Renewable Energy Masters degree in your last year.

University of Nottingham - Electrical Technology for Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems Masters (MSc)
Typical/ Minimum offer: At least lower class second

University of Leeds
- MSc (Eng) Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy Systems
Typical/ Minimum offer: An upper class second

Hope that helps! I'm currently still in the finding the right university for me (as an undergraduate) stage therefore i have a very limited knowledge on the subject! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Any corrects let me know and any information you want me to add to this first post just give me a message!

Thanks for the help:

ChemistBoy

Scroll to see replies

I would also suggest looking at sustainable development and engineering degrees if you want to work in renewables. Although an undergraduate degree in physical science or engineering is a perfectly good qualification to work in this area.
Reply 2
Yeah i was looking at doing a sustainable development ocurse, i think they do one at Leeds Uni which i'll be taking a look at on their open day!

I'll report back on my findings :P
Ooh yay a place for Renewable Energy people to talk! I've got deferred offers for both Dundee and Exeter to start in 2010 - love to know anyone else going in '09 or '10 as well, particularly Exeter. Hopefully I'll get my AAB!

Anyone out there?
Reply 4
Wow nice one with the Offers! I'm a year behind with whole process as i had to retake year 12.... but i'll be also applying to be there for 2010! Good Luck with your results.

I'm looking at other options aswell though as there is a really good course at Leeds called something like enviroment and energy. I'm on the open day on saturday so i'll give you my feedback of the course then! :-)
Well I got into Exeter (Cornwall Campus) and will be studying Renewable Energy BSc from October 2010!!! I got AABB =]
Reply 6
Well done! - i've just been given an offer for Exeter too do Renewable Energy in 2010 aswell! Pretty, chuffed, was only course i wanted to do. Predicted same grades as you aswell ^_^
Reply 7
bobbycheese
Well done! - i've just been given an offer for Exeter too do Renewable Energy in 2010 aswell! Pretty, chuffed, was only course i wanted to do. Predicted same grades as you aswell ^_^

wot_bout_meee
Well I got into Exeter (Cornwall Campus) and will be studying Renewable Energy BSc from October 2010!!! I got AABB =]

Looks like we have found potentially 3 people starting renewable energy at exeter in 2010, i think class sizes are 40 people each so just another 37 people to meet!

congrats again guys and hopefully see you both in september =)
Reply 8
I'll be going to Exeter Cornwall to do Renewable Energy (hopefully the MEng).

By the way, Durham also offer "New and Renewable Energy (H221)" which is an Engineering degree.

I also applied to Engineering at Cambridge; in the first two years you just do general Engineering but the 3rd and 4th year have loads of renewable energy modules!
I got rejected though :frown:
But certainly worth applying for if you think you can get the grades!
Reply 9
mullac14
i think class sizes are 40 people each so just another 37 people to meet!

Make that 36, I recieved an unconditional which I'm really happy with :biggrin:. It's a nice feeling finding people i might be studying with :smile:
Reply 10
we seem to be having an ever increasing crowd of renewable energyers (yeah bad name i know but i'm working on it)

Will be good tro see you in sept (grades pending for me!) Seems to be a very masculine affair at the moment.
Reply 11
IM doing a half day release, HNC in Mechanical/Manufcaturing Eng, While taking Open Uni courses in MEch/Environ/Maths to top it up to BEng. I work in design of mainly mechanical but also small part electrical, for a water /wastewaste treatment company, and hope to take a year out to do the MSc in Renewable Energies and Built Environ through the CAT Wales, (part of east london uni). Should provide me with a goos basis for career in renewable energies!!!
Reply 12
mullac14
we seem to be having an ever increasing crowd of renewable energyers (yeah bad name i know but i'm working on it)

Renewable Energy Engineers?
Haven't been on here for a while but awesome more people doing Renewable Energy in Falmouth =]

Mullac - thought we found Ren-Ens was a term often used to describe people studying such a subject =P

Feel slightly less alone now looking towards September so yes hopefully see you guys in September! For now, must try and actually do something useful in my gap year!
mullac14

Will be good tro see you in sept (grades pending for me!) Seems to be a very masculine affair at the moment.

Haha, not quite so masculine now :wink: Got a conditional offer for Sept too!
smileitcouldbeworse
Haha, not quite so masculine now :wink: Got a conditional offer for Sept too!

Wheyyyyy :woo:
Ha, looks like at this rate we'll all know each other before the course even starts! :smile:
starting to look forward to uni now, the prospect of making friends :woo:

mullac14
i thought i'd start a place where prospective Renewable Energyers (need a better name for that :P) can talk and discuss the subject.

I always find myself saying 'Renewable Engineers'.. only i think that can be a little miss-representing imo. ;]
Reply 17
bobbycheese
Ha, looks like at this rate we'll all know each other before the course even starts! :smile:
starting to look forward to uni now, the prospect of making friends :woo:

I always find myself saying 'Renewable Engineers'.. only i think that can be a little miss-representing imo. ;]

Ha ha yeah, grades pending and all that ( i may be off here a lil while until i manage to knuckle down completely into revision mode...)

Renewable energineering is how i describe the course to others as well! Technically we are not that far off as they have links with the Energy Institute "which is the first step in working towards formal recognition of their professional status as Chartered Engineers."

so yeah last post until so i can try and secure my place to meet all you good people come September!
Reply 18
Wow just checked back here, nice to see a few more people prospectively/definitely going to Cornwall, so this is how it looks (correct me if I'm wrong)

Conditional Offer
mullac14
smileitcouldbeworse
sandallw03
bobbycheese

Unconditional
wot_bout_meee
(myself) punk225

Hopefully even more people studying RE will be able to find this over the coming months. I'm off to america for 3 months come june (meaning it'll be unlikely I'll come on here), so hopefully I'll be able see you all in person come september/october. Hopefully your revision is going well for all you people with conditionals and best of luck with your exams :smile:

See you soon!
Hmmm RE now that's one that could cause confusion, but I feel I will slip into using it at uni as I am a lazy person even with words lol.
Its awesome people have found this thread - hope to see all of you in lectures and on campus this coming September! And have a good time in America punk225!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending