Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Lozza)
    surely she could have got a double corpus one?
    to be fair
    a) we werent going out back then
    b) i think she may have actually offered but i said i already was getting one

I was meant to be getting one through someone else, but they then fixed things with their boyfriend and decided they should have the ticket instead. bit rude ey?

ReputationRep:
    I got a flier for Pembroke event today. I guess if you can't get anywhere else you could try for that?

ReputationRep:
    It's wonderful to see all this enthusiasm for the St. John's May ball 2005. The committee are working very, very hard to make sure that the ball lives up to, and exceeds, expectations.

Just thought I'd remind you about the rules with respect to ticket sales:

"It is forbidden to advertise publicly any part of your ticket for sale, this includes, but is not limited to: printed media, and any internet medium visible to any member of the Committee at any time; failure to abide by this condition will result in the voiding of all outstanding tickets to the Johnian ticket holder, with no right of refund."

Ticket holders agreed to these Terms & Conditions on purchase, and a link to the full T&Cs is in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the Flagship Web Control panel, at: https://tickets.mayball.org

I look forward to seeing some of you at the ball.

Best Regards,
    The Ticket Secretary
    St. John's May ball 2005

ReputationRep:
    why is it you arent allowing people to sell their tickets via a public forum or a place like ebay? It's no different to selling them in person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    why is it you arent allowing people to sell their tickets via a public forum or a place like ebay? It's no different to selling them in person!
    We don't allow sales of tickets at Clare because we keep a waitinglist, we're also legally obliged to ensure everyone at the ball is over 18 and so require all guests details. It's also highly undesirable to have a blackmarket for tickets due to the application procedures and because if someone presents a ticket belonging to someone else then we have no knowledge of a sale---it could have been stolen etc. We don't offer double tickets, so there's no real reason to change the names of tickets and we will be checking ID at the entrance (as we did at ticket collection) because the barcoding system affords the speed to do this. Essentially it changes the system from something you have to something you have AND something you are, and allows us to revoke tickets trivially, which is desirable.

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    We don't allow sales of tickets at Clare because we keep a waitinglist, we're also legally obliged to ensure everyone at the ball is over 18 and so require all guests details. It's also highly undesirable to have a blackmarket for tickets due to the application procedures and because if someone presents a ticket belonging to someone else then we have no knowledge of a sale---it could have been stolen etc. We don't offer double tickets, so there's no real reason to change the names of tickets and we will be checking ID at the entrance (as we did at ticket collection) because the barcoding system affords the speed to do this. Essentially it changes the system from something you have to something you have AND something you are, and allows us to revoke tickets trivially, which is desirable.

A.
    That's fair enough, but I don't believe it is legal to refuse a refund. I've passed my query onto a friend at farrer's. I'll post her opinion as soon as i hear back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amex)
    That's fair enough, but I don't believe it is legal to refuse a refund. I've passed my query onto a friend at farrer's. I'll post her opinion as soon as i hear back...
    If someone wants a refund they will generally be given one at Clare, minus a small banking administration charge, except the ticket is offered to the waiting list and not whoever the ticket owner wishes. We still have a few hundred names on the waiting list iirc. Dunno about Johns and their T&Cs but ours were looked at by a lawyer or at least a law student so should be reasonably enforcable.

A.

ReputationRep:
    I'm terribly sorry if I put the cat amongst the pigeons! I simply trying to remind some of the posters of the Terms of Sale of their tickets.

As it is: tickets are not normally refundable in any case, but as always, the committee are willing to review individual cases 'in extremis'. I make no comment about the section of the terms I quote above, but I will say that the clause was approved by the Ball Committee Chairman, Mr Ben Parker, who is a member of the Law Faculty and sits on College Council.

And on that note, I will head off into TSR retirement.

Best Regards,
    The Ticket Secretary
    St. John's May ball 2005

ReputationRep:
    In case anyone else is looking for ball tickets, we got a letter in our pidges yesterday "reminding" us that there are still tickets for Magdalene May Ball available - £240 double, non-dining. Pricier than John's, but if you're desperate... :p:

(Original post by Helenia)
    In case anyone else is looking for ball tickets, we got a letter in our pidges yesterday "reminding" us that there are still tickets for Magdalene May Ball available - £240 double, non-dining. Pricier than John's, but if you're desperate... :p:
    problem is that men have to go in white tie which adds 50 quid to the cost for guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    problem is that men have to go in white tie which adds 50 quid to the cost for guys.
    True, one of the reasons I'm not going. Robinson also has tickets left, just got an e-mail from them.

ReputationRep:
    I've read the rest of this thread... but still, if anyone has any spare John's tickets, or knows anyone who has (I know they havn't all be confirmed yet so technically there might not even be a need for name changing or contract breach!) please let me know! hpj21 -haz

Many thanks to the person who started this thread. God knows how (and so late too!) It seems i managed to win a double Corpus may ball ticket by bidding through the Cambridge Auction website.
    I did pay more than the ticket cost though. Sigh...that £12 is going to be missed :p:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.