Reputation Vs. Marks Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ferret_messiah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I didn't know they did that course here. I'm doing human bio as you can see lol.
It's not a bad course, if nothing else we get first claim to all the G5s in Babbage.

Ah, I'd never have guessed, I have a rare condition rendering my completely unable to see green writing. Only green writing though, anything else in green shows up fine. Actually, that's all a load of nonsense.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ferret_messiah)
Ah, I'd never have guessed, I have a rare condition rendering my completely unable to see green writing. Only green writing though, anything else in green shows up fine. Actually, that's all a load of nonsense.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Kittennffc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, NikNak, thats the same as me. Our first year doesn't count towards your final degree but determines whether or not you get into the second year. I just need 40% from all my assessments and my exams to pass.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kittennffc)
Yeah, NikNak, thats the same as me. Our first year doesn't count towards your final degree but determines whether or not you get into the second year. I just need 40% from all my assessments and my exams to pass.
Why do all uni's have first year stuff that doesn't count towards the final degree?
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Why do all uni's have first year stuff that doesn't count towards the final degree?
Not all universities but the vast majority. Its so you can have a year to get up to speed, get used to university style work, and settle into it. It would be particularly harsh for you to start doing work that will contribute ultimately to your degree qualification the day you start.
McNuggets
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ultimately it may well hinge on the type of workplace you envisage post-study - I'd have imagined more vocational/singular career paths render the university 'reputation' nigh on peripheral.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the 'buying into' institution reputation, particularly when it arrives at the cost of pragmatism and 'common sense'. A-Level results, after all, adorn the CV as prominently as degree classification, and as human beings we have our own reasons for not coating ourselves with a "top" university's lustre, so I assume employers can ostensibly see for themselves what calibre student they're dealing with minus the issue of institution reputation.
KingsComp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Personally I think it depends, to get into competitive jobs such as law and investment banking, getting a 2:1 from a top 20 uni is gonna be better than a 1st from a very poor uni.

Just to give u an example, a friend of mine, he got a 1st in Economics from Westminster, he re-did his A-levels and got 3As and he has done quite a bit of work experience as well as learnt a foreign language (German). He however got rejected from all 20 of the investment banks he applied to, none even gave him an interview. In fact he said that nearly all of his colleages are facing the same problem.

On the other hand I know ppl who got 2:1 from from Imperial, Kings and UCL in un-related subjects (Engineering, Computer Science and one in Physics) who have been accepted into top Investment Banks.

As I said before it depends, some employers rather look at ur degree classification, but in very competitive jobs, employers are able to be very choosy as there are so many graduates to choose from.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (106)
79.1%
Leave (28)
20.9%

Watched Threads