Turn on thread page Beta

Average Salary watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think the median figure is about £15,000. I saw that on the Channel 4 website, but I'm not sure if those figures are a bit outdated.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Those of you quoting "averages" - are you quoting means or medians? As Roger pointed out, it is an important distinction and I think median salaries would be the more useful figure.
    the £23,500 ish one is a mean

national stats only has a median for hourly income - which doesn't actually tell you anything if you don't know whant the average (mean) no of hours is pa to bump it up.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    they've got averages (mean) by region though which is quite interesting

United Kingdom £23,556
    Great Britain £23,608
    England £23,920
    North East £20,176
    North West £20,748
    Yorks & the Humber £21,424
    East Midlands £21,840
    West Midlands £21,320
    East £25,220
    London £29,432
    South East £26,520
    South West £22,932
    Wales £21,320
    Scotland £22,152
    Northern Ireland £20,436
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...LFSQS_0405.pdf

page 41 there's a graph showing the distribution of earnings

The largest number is for those earning between £10,400 and £15,600pa for women and between£15,600 and £20,800 for men
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    Overall median is £385per week - £20,020pa
    Overall mean is £453...£23,556pa

ReputationRep:
    just fyi: avarage salary in the CZ is 4,3k pa (i've converted it to pounds) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    just fyi: avarage salary in the CZ is 4,3k pa (i've converted it to pounds) :rolleyes:
    But the cost of living is much lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Yup, in the same way that it is cheaper to buy a semi in Liverpool, than in London.

My starting salary is going to be £21k, probably about £25k in ldn. Of course, in 4 years time, that will probably change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Yup, in the same way that it is cheaper to buy a semi in Liverpool, than in London.

My starting salary is going to be £21k, probably about £25k in ldn. Of course, in 4 years time, that will probably change.
    I'm definately gunna live in London when I graduate, so I better hope I'm earning big money :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm definately gunna live in London when I graduate, so I better hope I'm earning big money :cool:
    yah it makes sense, I'll probably stay in London until i'm about 45, then move back up to North Yorkshire...

I can't really see myself building a career anywhere but London. I suppose when youre going into Land Economy, there isn't really anywhere that can beat it!

ReputationRep:

of course it is but for example studyng abroad is then incredibly expensive for us

ReputationRep:
    You would get more accurate results if you wanted mean salary for a specific profession as the mean salary of all the professions combined will not truely reflect the most accurate information.

Zain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    of course it is but for example studyng abroad is then incredibly expensive for us
    True, but are there not grants available?
    Still I imagine things like flights will be comparitively cheaper for those in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a mate at uni of Surrey doing economics, and he got a 1st in the first year, so decided to find a good sandwich year placement. He's got one with Lehmann's bank (dunno how u spell it) and its over 26 grand! plus its a thirteen month one, so he gets 28 grand! he's already loaded :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    True, but are there not grants available?
    Still I imagine things like flights will be comparitively cheaper for those in the UK.

just for people paying international fees :rolleyes:

or another example - clothes...eg one pair of jeans represents the same proportion of income of a person here as three or four in the UK

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.