The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
C274
If you broke your arm that you use to write with the day before an exam, I doubt you'd be saying the same thing. Same if you had something like dyslexia.
Just because someone can't write well or read well does not mean that they're mentally unable to answer the questions. If a candidate was so incompetent, their teacher wouldn't present them as a candidate on exam day.

Sorry I think I explained myself badly. I was thinking of a certain situation where my grandmother was reading and scribing AH English to someone who the school had advised against the course but the parents had persisted and from what my grandmother had to write down for her she agreed that she probably shouldn't have sat the exam.

Also one time she was reading and scribing for another person doing AH History and the reason she was doing it because the student couldn't read or pronouce some of the Russian place names and people's names. In my opinon that doesn't really merit a scribe. Feel free to disagree and I'm sorry if my post offended you.
Funny Face
I was thinking of a certain situation where my grandmother was reading and scribing AH English to someone who the school had advised against the course but the parents had persisted and from what my grandmother had to write down for her she agreed that she probably shouldn't have sat the exam.

I daresay she's right, because this is a very real problem. However, it's not really a problem with the scribing system (as you've described it, in any case), and more an issue with pushy parents and the inability of teachers and schools to do much about them.
Reply 62
I got my B in Int2 history appealed to an A last year. So they can work, but just rarely. Higher and Advanced Higher appeals are so much more difficult to get. Not much of a problem for me, my prelim marks weren't THAT great. lol :smile:
Reply 63
CDon
I got my B in Int2 history appealed to an A last year. So they can work, but just rarely. Higher and Advanced Higher appeals are so much more difficult to get. Not much of a problem for me, my prelim marks weren't THAT great. lol :smile:

lol i failed my prelims so i don't hav a chance of appealing but yh u r right highers and advanced highers are hard to appeal anyway so even if i wanted to appeal i wouldn't get it. Welldone for your history appeal though glad to hear bout some successful A appeals.
Are appeals based on medical reasons as hard to get? I went in for the Higher Modern Studies exam but had a vomiting virus and so was sick at school before, during (though I only wrote on the front page) and after they pulled me out of the exam. Since it happened in school I don't need a doctor note - heck, my head teacher cleaned up the mess for me. She just had to write a letter to the SQA along with my appeal. I got an A for the prelim - about 78% - so is there any chance of me getting one on my final certificate?
cloudbusting
Are appeals based on medical reasons as hard to get? I went in for the Higher Modern Studies exam but had a vomiting virus and so was sick at school before, during (though I only wrote on the front page) and after they pulled me out of the exam. Since it happened in school I don't need a doctor note - heck, my head teacher cleaned up the mess for me. She just had to write a letter to the SQA along with my appeal. I got an A for the prelim - about 78% - so is there any chance of me getting one on my final certificate?

Yes, you have a fairly decent chance as long as the prelim was fair.
Reply 66
I'll need to appeal for SG Biology probably. Will I get the appeal in time for me to sit the Higher?
LuhLah
I'll need to appeal for SG Biology probably. Will I get the appeal in time for me to sit the Higher?

The first appeals to go through are for those at Higher and Advanced Higher, beause university places depend on those. My appeal for Int 2 Modern Studies came through very late in the year (sufficiently so that I assumed it had failed) - sometime around Christmas, IIRC.

There aren't any SQA-imposed rules about which subjects are prerequisites for others, though. It's all down to your school, and they're likely to let you continue if they know you're reasonably able.
Reply 68
Have you any idea as to the deadlines for (Advanced) Higher appeals?
Reply 69
ik92
Does anyone even think that appeals work or they are just there to make u feel good for a while and then when u find out it wasn't successful u go nuts, anyone feel the same way?

has anyone had any successful appeals for any subjects?

One of my mates got her B for Higher Biology bumped up to an A. :]
Reply 70
Oogamy
Have you any idea as to the deadlines for (Advanced) Higher appeals?

September some time. They are classed as emergent because they could make a difference between entry/non-entry to University.
Reply 71
nessiehibs
Didn't get my English appeal last year. Got an A(73%) in the prelim, endid up with a lower C in the exam, and i think you only needed 65% for an A in the actual exam.

Although, i had little other evidance of that standard.

I had some B level appeal and I got a high C, 56% and then my teachers realised that they couldn't appeal because it was not my prelim and they hadn't known that the prelim was needed for appeals. I got a high C in my prelim....RAGING! Lol

Latest

Trending

Trending