Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain the string theory in simple terms please? i searched on google and have found a site but its very confusiong. thanks

ReputationRep:
    "String theory in simple terms". That may be a slightly lost cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixjmorgan)
    Could someone explain the string theory in simple terms please? i searched on google and have found a site but its very confusiong. thanks
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    "String theory in simple terms". That may be a slightly lost cause.
    Lol, true.

I dunno what's less confusing, string theory or relativity .

ReputationRep:
    I watched a TV programme with it in ages ago. I almost understood it. It was a really interesting one my dad taped (he's a physics teacher) about parallel universes.

ReputationRep:
    can't remember anything though

ReputationRep:
    Relativity is quite straight forward once you have got your head around it. String Theory on the other hand....

ReputationRep:
    If you want to learn more about String Theory, I highly highly highly recommend 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. Superb book.
    ISBN 0 09 928992 X

ReputationRep:
    i think i get it sort of. thing is though, im doins electrolysis in physics atm! can someone give me a link about relativity please?

is it basically that everything (forces and matter) are made up of strings. the 'tension' of the strings is the way things move and stuff. and bosonic (or something like that), the force ones, can be broken and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Relativity is quite straight forward once you have got your head around it. String Theory on the other hand....
    We've only just started relativity and I'm lost. It's very difficult to get your head around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    We've only just started relativity and I'm lost. It's very difficult to get your head around it.
    You need to get some decent books that concentrate just on the theory. Once you have that sorted you can dive into the maths behind it (which I haven't done yet!). 'About Time' by Paul Davies is another excellant book which has a large section on Relativity. If you read the first halve of that book through a couple times you will be a relative expert (no pun intended lol).

ReputationRep:
    whats the theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixjmorgan)
    whats the theory?
    I'm sorry but I dont have a spare couple hours to get into that. Buy a decent book then once you have read it discuss anything you don't understand with one of your physicts lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    particles are normally represented by points with four coordinates (ie x, y, z, t), but in string theory a particle is infact a string (or even better, a membrane) which doesn't have a definite x,y,z,t position, but a collective of them. this allows both gravity and quantum physics to be united. read brian greene, "the elegant universe"

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I am no physicist), but from watching those programs, I think in layman terms strings are the simplest form of matter (or to be more precise, energy) that are the foundation of all things in the universe. They unify the theories of the big and the small...hence string theory could be the theory of everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I am no physicist), but from watching those programs, I think in layman terms strings are the simplest form of matter (or to be more precise, energy) that are the foundation of all things in the universe. They unify the theories of the big and the small...hence string theory could be the theory of everything
    you're wrong

strings are just in opposition to point particles.

there are in fact 5 seperate string theories, which can't all be right, can they?

so physicists have put forward an M-theory, which unites all 5 separate string theories into a membrane theory, which is more correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you're wrong

strings are just in opposition to point particles.

there are in fact 5 seperate string theories, which can't all be right, can they?

so physicists have put forward an M-theory, which unites all 5 separate string theories into a membrane theory, which is more correct.
    Damn!!! lol. The program seemed to *sniff* suggest *sniff* it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Damn!!! lol. The program seemed to *sniff* suggest *sniff* it.
    i don't know what programme you are talking about, but read brian greene's The Elegant Universe, it is very good, and explains both relativity and quantumity very well, as well as explaining M-theory.

ReputationRep:
    String theory is stupid.
    And thats my highly scientific argument about it

ReputationRep:
    There's a decent article in nov 3rd new scientist magazine on string theory, confused me a little, but i got the general gist...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.