is UCLAN good uni?

Watch this thread
razayousfani
Badges: 1
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Dear All

I am Raza from Pakistan. My consultant said Uclan is a good uni but i have read comments about it and all were negative. I want you to please tell me how is this uni and if i do Msc financial management then what will be chances of getting job so that i could apply for HSMP.

I hope you all will reply me
SOAD_MONGOOSE
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
It depends. UCLAN is usually seen as a pretty crap uni. But it does have some good departments like Physics. My dad works at UCLAN and although he's not sure about financial management himself, he says that the business section of UCLAN is quite good. Hope that helps.
Dannyx90
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Lancashire Business School is highly rated, and was in the top 3 for Business Schools in the Guardian's Uni guide 2009.
Moonshine88
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dannyx90)
Lancashire Business School is highly rated, and was in the top 3 for Business Schools in the Guardian's Uni guide 2009.
I think you mean Lancaster... which is different from UCLAN
4G_dollars
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Lancashire has I think about ten universities.
Manchester, MMU, Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores, Edgehill, Lancaster, Bolton, Salford, UCLAN, and probably this other one in Liverpool.

Erm UCLAN is based in Preston
Dannyx90
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Moonshine88)
I think you mean Lancaster... which is different from UCLAN
I think you'll find I don't.
Dannyx90
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
http://www.uclan.ac.uk/lbs/about/index.php

"Lancashire Business School at University of Central Lancashire is an international centre of excellence for business and management learning and research.

We offer a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses and, according to the Guardian's University Guide 2009, we are the Top Modern University in England and Wales for Business and Management study. "

Which is part of UCLAN, thanks.
Moonshine88
Report 13 years ago
http://www.uclan.ac.uk/lbs/about/index.php

"Lancashire Business School at University of Central Lancashire is an international centre of excellence for business and management learning and research.

We offer a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses and, according to the Guardian's University Guide 2009, we are the Top Modern University in England and Wales for Business and Management study. "

Which is part of UCLAN, thanks.
First of all, it's not a top 3 business school: http://browse.guardian.co.uk/educati...+studies&Go=Go (guardian 2009 - business & management)

Secondly, it's the top "modern university" (i.e. ex-poly)
xjenni83x
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I don't get where this negative attitude towards UCLAN comes from. When it came to choosing a Uni i looked at the ones i was interested in and did my research on them. It seems that anywhere other than here UCLAN has a good reputation.

Especially when it comes to Overseas Students, it won The Time's 2006 award for best support for overseas students.

Read this http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2166373.ece
Dannyx90
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Moonshine88
Report 13 years ago
When it comes to UCLAN, I'm completely neutral... but if someone's asking if it's a good school, then at the very least present the stats right. If it's a top ex-poly, modern university or whatever it's called, good for them, but don't present it as top 3 in the country!
meercatman
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Moonshine88)
First of all, it's not a top 3 business school: http://browse.guardian.co.uk/educati...+studies&Go=Go (guardian 2009 - business & management)
Stop trolling.
Without wanting to get involved, I think he was just trying to correct you - it wasn't in the top 3 business schools in the guardian guides.

If the OP is making her decision based on some on the info in this thread, then it isn't trolling to correct someone. :yep:
Moonshine88
Report 13 years ago
Correct.

My other point is that if you're going to be studying MSc financial management, then I can only assume that you want to get into financial services (investment banking/asset management or similar). By all means, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I assume correct, your question shouldn't be, "is UCLAN a good university?" but "will an MSc from UCLAN get me a good enough job to qualify me for HSMP?"

Just to be clear, this is not a dig at UCLAN, but that industry is notoriously elitist and the degree you are looking at will not make you competitive compared to the scores of other top, top university postgrads I'm afraid.
Slick 'n' Shady
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
maybe your consultant is thinking of UCL (uni college london) not UCLAN??
boogaloo
Report 13 years ago
if your coming half way across the world - i would really recommend a different uni if you want your degree to mean something in particular if you decide to go back.. UCL is a great uni to have on your cv, UCLAN not as great
Jenny_G
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 4G_dollars)
Lancashire has I think about ten universities.
Manchester, MMU, Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores, Edgehill, Lancaster, Bolton, Salford, UCLAN, and probably this other one in Liverpool.

Erm UCLAN is based in Preston
Liverpool isn't in Lancashire, it's in Merseyside... just thought I would say sorry.
alwinson
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hey is UCLan a good uni for Msc in Building Servies ?
cassyisobelle
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
hi, i'm considering applying to UCLan for neuroscience for 2014 entry. it has much lower grades than all of the other universities i'm applying to and the grades that i'm predicted so i'd use it as my insurance.
however if UCLan isn't a very good university i don't know if i'd want to waste a choice?
any advice on this would be super helpful, thank you!!!!!!!!
KGW
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Why come on here if all you're going to do is slate UCLan?

It's a University, which is rated well and some of the departments are the best in the UK. It all comes down to the course, department and personal choice.

I applied at UCLan, Manchester Met, York, Chester and Liverpool JM and was accepted in to them all, after going on open days UCLan was the best university in terms of course, student life and accommodation. After being here i absolutely love it and wouldn't regret coming here at all, which is the same as plenty of people. The uni is very practical and likes you to gain experience, not just sit in a room looking at a powerpoint.

I couldn't recommend the Uni enough, people are ALWAYS going to have something bad to say but tbh, don't listen to opnions....make your own
Piazetta
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jenny_G)
Liverpool isn't in Lancashire, it's in Merseyside... just thought I would say sorry.
Merseyside is a part of Lancashire. Much like BANES is a part of Somerset. These counties are historical and Liverpool is undeniably Lancastrian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.85%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.66%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (31)
25.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed