Is diamond a good or bad conductor of heat? Watch

cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
You should throw any book that claims Diamond to be a thermal insulator straight into the bin.
Exactly. We could dive into the physics, but it would just make your head hurt. Electrical and thermal conductivity are different physical phenomena. Deal with it.
omgmanthissucks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
lol i've decided to go with it being a conductor of heat because it just makes more sense to me
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Diamond is a good thermal conductor as are many similar crystalline structures. I used to use sapphire discs during my PhD so that I could heat my samples whilst electrically insulating them. Someone I think mentioned lattice vibrations (or as physicists call them, phonons) as being a method of thermal conductance in crystalline systems - this is spot on and the more perfect a crystal is then the better the conductance. Diamond (I believe) like silicon crystals had relatively few defects and is therefore a better conductor as a result.
Sparkly-Star
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by omgmanthissucks)
I have 2 chemistry books and they say 2 different things.

which is it?
Okay let me copy what it says in the CGP book and I do also agree with what it says. Besides why would they give incorrect information?

'There are lots of strong covalent bonds, so it's got very high melting and boiling points.' --> So this shows that diamond is a good conductor of heat! However it is not a good conductor of electricity because there are no spare electrons! So just to be clear a lot of people on this thread might have confused heat with electricity. :grin:
omgmanthissucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparkly-Star)
Okay let me copy what it says in the CGP book and I do also agree with what it says. Besides why would they give incorrect information?

'There are lots of strong covalent bonds, so it's got very high melting and boiling points.' --> So this shows that diamond is a good conductor of heat! However it is not a good conductor of electricity because there are no spare electrons! So just to be clear a lot of people on this thread might have confused heat with electricity. :grin:
well i have one book saying it is and another saying it isn't lol so one book is obviously giving incorrect information lol

I don't really understand how the 2nd statement shows that it is a good conductor of heat lol but thank you anyway i agree with it being a conductor of heat
Sparkly-Star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by omgmanthissucks)
well i have one book saying it is and another saying it isn't lol so one book is obviously giving incorrect information lol

I don't really understand how the 2nd statement shows that it is a good conductor of heat lol but thank you anyway i agree with it being a conductor of heat
Lol it doesn't that's the one about electricity. :grin:
Sockpirate
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My text book is rubbish. I quote: "diamond... is a poor conductor of heat"
-facedesk- it truly is shocking.
Kyle_S-C
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Beaten to it by the pros...and yes, I know you shouldn't, but if you'd looked on Wiki...
TableChair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Woody.)
So they are not always related, then
Well they are. There is then no contribution from free electrons in this case... that's still a relationship.

It's just what you were implying is that there isn't a relationship, when there is, it just doesn't work both ways. If a material conducts electricity well then it will also conduct heat well, but not necessarily the other wau around.
Kyle_S-C
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TableChair)
Well they are. There is then no contribution from free electrons in this case... that's still a relationship.

It's just what you were implying is that there isn't a relationship, when there is, it just doesn't work both ways. If a material conducts electricity well then it will also conduct heat well, but not necessarily the other wau around.
Stop stalking me and go do some revision! :p:
Woody.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

We have established that diamond is a good conductor of heat. It also does not conduct electricity well. This appears to contradict your last sentence.
humz2
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
70 replies for a yes/no answer :confused:

edit:72nd now actually
omgmanthissucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by humz2)
70 replies for a yes/no answer :confused:

edit:72nd now actually
lol i agree, when i started the thread i thought i'd get a unanimous answer

73rd now
MGIL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha at this thread:getmecoat:
TableChair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We have established that diamond is a good conductor of heat. It also does not conduct electricity well. This appears to contradict your last sentence.
No it doesn't, that's my whole point. Reread the sentence.

In simpler form, what I'm saying is if X implies Y, that doesn't necessarily mean that Y implies X.
Nick Longjohnson
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materia...l_conductivity

Monocrystalline synthetic diamond enriched in 12C isotope (99.9%) has the highest thermal conductivity of any known solid at room temperature: >30 W/cm•K[29] five times more than copper. Because diamond has such high thermal conductance it is already used in semiconductor manufacture to prevent silicon and other semiconducting materials from overheating. At lower temperatures conductivity becomes even better as its Fermi electrons can match the phononic normal transport mode near the Debye point,[30] and transport heat more swiftly, to reach ~800 W/cm•K at 100 K (12C enriched diamond)[29]
Woody.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No it doesn't, that's my whole point. Reread the sentence.

In simpler form, what I'm saying is if X implies Y, that doesn't necessarily mean that Y implies X.
I understand your point. But, as my initial post said, people may be getting confused between the two as they are only related in one sense. A conductor of electricity would conduct heat, but not the other way around as you say. Hence why people may be getting confused and why I pointed it out in the first place.
TableChair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I understand your point. But, as my initial post said, people may be getting confused between the two as they are only related in one sense. A conductor of electricity would conduct heat, but not the other way around as you say. Hence why people may be getting confused and why I pointed it out in the first place.
Cool. It just looked like you were saying that they were completely independent, that was all I was picking up.
diamonddust
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like this debate. I've learned more from this thread than I have from lessons!

Just to make sure I understand this, diamond is a good conductor of heat because it has a crystalline structure which means heat can be transferred by vibrations through the covalent bonds to other parts in the diamond (did I understand that right?)
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by diamonddust)
I like this debate. I've learned more from this thread than I have from lessons!

Just to make sure I understand this, diamond is a good conductor of heat because it has a crystalline structure which means heat can be transferred by vibrations through the covalent bonds to other parts in the diamond (did I understand that right?)
Sounds about right without invoking the idea of quantized phonons, which are a little bit too advanced for most peoples' uses on here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads