Annoyed at Switzerland being neutral?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've been living in the U.K. for the best part of a year now and I've met both some very nice people and some quite horrible ones too. As a proud Swiss national, I've heard many generalise the country and its people as being a Nazi loving, money obsessed nation that only cares about itself and nothing else. I've also heard many feel anger at the fact that Switzerland is neutral and refuses to get involved in military action with other countries.

I wanted to know what your opinions are on this matter?
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
I've heard many generalise the country and its people as being a Nazi loving, money obsessed nation that only cares about itself and nothing else.
Really? :lolwut:
I can't say I recall ever hearing anti-Swiss sentiments.
bourney
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'm rather neutral on Switzerland.
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Well I'm a proud Swiss. We do what will keep us out of trouble and will make us wealthy, that much is true. However... that's a bloody good thing, as far as I'm concerned. If all countries acted as Switzerland does then the world would be a much more respectable place.

I could actually go on and on about Swiss neutrality, I debated for it during a government sponsored debate event lol.
obscurename
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 12 years ago

No it's a good thing.
SilkySmooth
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Good for them, they can live in peace :dontknow:
callum9999
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I've never heard Switzerland criticised either (not that it really comes up in conversation!).

Being neutral is a good thing in my opinion. I don't really see how you can criticise a country for not being violent enough.
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

JS Mill
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
good on them, i say. a pretty awesome country as countries go.
SerpentineLara
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I think it's a good thing.
callum9999
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hanoi)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

JS Mill
A load of rubbish in my opinion. Even if you live in a country that has wars, the average citizen doesn't get any exposure to it and the majority of Westerners aren't "miserable creatures with no chance of being free". If anything, war is more emotionally damaging than peace.
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
America used to be neutral in its isolation. Now look what's happened.
Simplicity
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Well, to be a hero takes work but being a coward doesn't.

(Original post by yodude888)
Well I'm a proud Swiss. We do what will keep us out of trouble and will make us wealthy, that much is true. However... that's a bloody good thing, as far as I'm concerned. If all countries acted as Switzerland does then the world would be a much more respectable place.
That sort of clears it up. Well, not everyone can be a coward or greedy.

P.S. I guess Switzerland wanted the nazis to win. http://www.switzerland.isyours.com/e...uide/wwii.html
Seriously, they even helped the nazis. That is just low.

(Original post by Jingers)
America used to be neutral in its isolation. Now look what's happened.
To be fair America never actually supported the nazis or helped them.
yodude888
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)

P.S. I guess Switzerland wanted the nazis to win. http://www.switzerland.isyours.com/e...uide/wwii.html
Seriously, they even helped the nazis. That is just low.

To be fair America never actually supported the nazis or helped them.
Lol so Switzerland giving information to the British Army during WWII, as well as protecting escaped Jews... That was all to help the Nazis, wasn't it?

And Switzerland aren't being cowardly or isolationist. We are strongly involved in world politics, in fact mediating discussions between the USA and countries such as Iran, amongst other things.
neomilan
Report 12 years ago
switzerland
liechtenstein {sp?}
cananda
new zealand

all countries i have high respect for
Catblud
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
I've been living in the U.K. for the best part of a year now and I've met both some very nice people and some quite horrible ones too. As a proud Swiss national, I've heard many generalise the country and its people as being a Nazi loving, money obsessed nation that only cares about itself and nothing else. I've also heard many feel anger at the fact that Switzerland is neutral and refuses to get involved in military action with other countries.

I wanted to know what your opinions are on this matter?
What?? I'd love it if the UK was neutral, why do we have to get involved with everything, I mean Afghanistan and Iraq? We so suck up to America.
WokSz
Rep:
(Original post by Simplicity)

It's not about being cowards. The Swiss army is one of the best trained in the world but it's a defensive army aimed at reacting to threats. Its a choice the Swiss have maintained and we are proud of. I don't see the logic in fighting wars that cost millions of francs and the death of hundreds of young soldiers.
WokSz
Rep:
(Original post by Hanoi)

JS Mill
But what about refusing to fight because it's immoral?
MathsHamster
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
It's a good thing. Countries should be more like them. But I am in favour of everyone invading Switzerland just to see what would happen.
WokSz
Rep:
(Original post by MathsHamster)
It's a good thing. Countries should be more like them. But I am in favour of everyone invading Switzerland just to see what would happen.
According to the training, Swiss recruits and soldiers are taught to fight defensively so you would just find a destroyed country. Nothing of use to anyone else!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
42.08%
Not yet, but I will soon (66)
18.03%
No (146)
39.89%

Watched Threads