Is maths A level nessecary for Economics? Watch

bach787
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am going to take economics for a level, and I was just wondering whether I would need to be good at maths and possibly have maths A level to do well in economics...Is this a nessecary requirement?
MGIL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for the tops unis yes
DeyTa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd recommend it, especially if you got an A or A* at GCSE. It isn't a necessary subject for the actual A level, but it will increase your chances hugely in doing what you want at any university. Plus, if you're fairly maths-oriented, maths is the easiest A level! (in my opinion)
Montarnna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
None of my universities required it, but for the top 10 etc, most want it
Adam92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not at a-level (basic percentages are only required really), but yes if you wish to carry on with it at Uni. Plus, maths is a great a-level anyway (:
Mimi600
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For economics A-level I personally saw maths as being of no relevance, and you certainly don't need to know anything mathsy for that. (This may differ for other exam boards - I did OCR)

Uni is a completely different kettle of fish - Any uni in about the top15 will not only desire but probably require maths, especially in the coming years (slowly economics is become much more mathsy/quantitative - even universities such as Lancaster are beginning to consider introduction of a maths A-level requirement for applicants).

I'd also say that maths A-level itself is a solid A-level, I think a good grade in maths is considered well by universities. Therefore, if maths is something you enjoy/are good at, why not? Especially in the light of economics as a potential university course.

Good luck
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for a level no not at all, but being able to spell could be useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads