Biology exam next week.. need tips pleaseeee! :o) Watch

Nikki_
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've been doing some biology past questions (doing Edexcel SNAB) and the mark scheme seems unrelated, to me, to the actual question

E.g... Explain the potential advantages of genetic testing for hypercholesterolaeima.

So I spoke about ways of genetic testing like amniocentesis and how this can help parents make informed decisions about the future.. i.e. abortions etc

But the mark scheme says things such as avoiding other risk factors.. regular monitering of cholesterol etc.. which I know just didn't realise that was what was wanted

Sorry this turned longer than I expected lol .. but all the questions seem to be like this and I really wanted to do well in Bio

Please gime some tips guys! x
Deyn_08
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sub.
same test.
verity-alex
Report 9 years ago
Sorry cant help
im in the same boat, I hate the snab mark scheme, i swear its luck not how much you know
as i generally know what im talking about but i can never get the marks.

I take it this is for the synoptic, i did a practice paper about gobal warming and so i wrote about moisquitos going into areas where people arent used to them - therefore spoke about immunity.
I also spoke about enzymes denaturing due to increase in temperature.

But got very little as they wanted stuff like sea levels rising (yes i missed a HUGE point there as it was quite obvious, but i was thinking more biology than geography)

I wish you luck in biology.
sorry i cant help
xxxxxxxxxx
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I understand completly!
I'm majorly panicking, I've memorised the entire text book but when i make very valid point answers to questions they don't seem to be in the mark scheme???
I'm retaking Sn2 from AS as I got a C and want a B, preferably an A.
I'm also of course doing snab 5 and the synoptic, haven't even got to the synoptic yet due to concentrating on biology =(
And geography revision hasn't got a look in.
Judas the Prude
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Genetic testing can be done at any time, not just before birth. Hypercholesterolaeima is certainly not something I think you'd test for with an amniocentesis. In this case, they seem to be asking more about genetic testing for genetic predisposition to certain conditions - if someone was tested and found to have a genetic predisposition for hypercholesterolaeima, they can be aware of the extra importance of making sure that they have a diet low in saturated fats, for example, to help to keep their cholesterol down. As they would be at a higher risk of high cholesterol, they can also have regular monitoring of cholesterol levels to keep it in check. That sort of thing. :s
Nikki_
(Original post by verity-alex)
Sorry cant help
im in the same boat, I hate the snab mark scheme, i swear its luck not how much you know
as i generally know what im talking about but i can never get the marks.

I take it this is for the synoptic, i did a practice paper about gobal warming and so i wrote about moisquitos going into areas where people arent used to them - therefore spoke about immunity.
I also spoke about enzymes denaturing due to increase in temperature.

But got very little as they wanted stuff like sea levels rising (yes i missed a HUGE point there as it was quite obvious, but i was thinking more biology than geography)

I wish you luck in biology.
sorry i cant help
xxxxxxxxxx

Yea! You can know the content so well, but if you don't write what they want it just fails lol .. good luck to you too xxx
Nikki_
(Original post by lizfairy)
I understand completly!
I'm majorly panicking, I've memorised the entire text book but when i make very valid point answers to questions they don't seem to be in the mark scheme???
I'm retaking Sn2 from AS as I got a C and want a B, preferably an A.
I'm also of course doing snab 5 and the synoptic, haven't even got to the synoptic yet due to concentrating on biology =(
And geography revision hasn't got a look in.
Ohh I got a C in unit 1, I'm really worrying too now lol. Doesn't help I never have enough time to finish either! Is A2 just as bad then? Because I might drop it coz of this lol
Good luck btw x
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nikki_)
Ohh I got a C in unit 1, I'm really worrying too now lol. Doesn't help I never have enough time to finish either! Is A2 just as bad then? Because I might drop it coz of this lol
Good luck btw x
I'd keep it up, despite currently being unbelievably stressed about this exam, truth is, when it gets down to it i still love biology.

It's a really interesting course.
I'm just planning on memorising a few past papers, that's what my friend who gets As does.
Nikki_
I'd keep it up, despite currently being unbelievably stressed about this exam, truth is, when it gets down to it i still love biology.

It's a really interesting course.
I'm just planning on memorising a few past papers, that's what my friend who gets As does.
Oh cool might try it, but I'm doing the new SNAB syllabus arn't you? So there's not many past papers around for me to look at
x-Disenchanted-x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Biology is currently my worst enemy. I'm currently doing AQA but find the questions horrible and almost cryptic.
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x-Disenchanted-x)
Biology is currently my worst enemy. I'm currently doing AQA but find the questions horrible and almost cryptic.
It's the same with snab
berkerboy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's the same with snab
Just try and make as many points as you have time for, bullet point, don't bother with flowing prose unless it explicitly states ' you will be marked on continuous prose'.

Don't be afraid to write something that could be wrong; you won't lose marks.

And always say the obvious things, defining any terms they have used in the question...

And with graph questions ALWAYS quote a few figures from the graph/table, and be careful of the difference between the action words DESCRIBE and EXPLAIN.

x
berkerboy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nikki_)
Oh cool might try it, but I'm doing the new SNAB syllabus arn't you? So there's not many past papers around for me to look at
[Entrance of knight, armour distinctly glossy]

Try my website, www.deberker.com, and if there are any glaring absences, message me for specific things...
Nikki_
(Original post by berkerboy)
[Entrance of knight, armour distinctly glossy]

Try my website, www.deberker.com, and if there are any glaring absences, message me for specific things...

ohh awesome, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads