The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
it allows you to differntiate between two isomers in a racemic mixture
Reply 181
Meteorshower
Ok, the pH is 3.8 when half of the acid has been neutralized, so yeah you just do 10^-3.8 and you get the Ka.

But how can you tell when half of the acid has reacted?....
Dan11
it allows you to differntiate between two isomers in a racemic mixture

What's a racemic mixture? And what specifically is is it that differentiates the isomers?

Dan11
But how can you tell when half of the acid has reacted?....

the graph levels of when 18cm^3 of sodium hydroxide has been added, so halfway will be when 9 has.
Reply 183
Meteorshower
No worries!

Can anyone explain to me what we need to know about plane polarised light and effects it has when passed through solutions :s-smilie:

Not sure about when it's passed through solutions but optical isomers spin the light in opposite directions. Never seen a question about solutions, didn't think we needed to know about that.
teabreak
Not sure about when it's passed through solutions but optical isomers spin the light in opposite directions. Never seen a question about solutions, didn't think we needed to know about that.

It's in a 2002 paper (managed to acquire some more past papers fortunately) so maybe the course has changed since. Can never be too careful though :p:
Reply 185
Meteorshower
It's in a 2002 paper (managed to acquire some more past papers fortunately) so maybe the course has changed since. Can never be too careful though :p:

Can you post the question please?
Reply 186
if polarised light is passed through a solution, the chiral molecules turn the light in equal directions. eg. one in +50cm, the other in -50cm. If it is a racemic mixture the effect will be zero, as a racemic mixture contains equal amounts (50%) of each enantiomer
teabreak
Can you post the question please?

Q11 part c

Plane polarised light is not rotated when passed through an aqueous solution of X, suggest a reason for this.

Where X is propanoic acid with a hydroxyl group on the second carbon.
Reply 188
whats the answer.

im guessing cuz its a racemic mixture....
Yeah :p:
Reply 190
yay!
Reply 191
would it be posible for u to post the answrers to the MC up please. (2002)

just like ACDCDDDDCED etc would be fine.

Thanks
Reply 192
I know this is pretty simple but:

In the equation deltaG = -nFE, how do you work out the value of n?
I know it's to do with the number of electrons on some equation?
teabreak
I know this is pretty simple but:

In the equation deltaG = -nFE, how do you work out the value of n?
I know it's to do with the number of electrons on some equation?

Number of electrons on the reduction and oxidation ion electron half equations. Choose the larger number.

Dan11
would it be posible for u to post the answrers to the MC up please. (2002)

just like ACDCDDDDCED etc would be fine.

Thanks

CBBCCADABADDCBDDABDADACCBCBACC

31 a - CD
b - E
c - F

32 a - E
b - C
c - DF

33 AC
Reply 194
Meteorshower
Number of electrons on the reduction and oxidation ion electron half equations. Choose the larger number.

Haha so easy :p:
teabreak
Haha so easy :p:

A lot of Ah chem is surprisingly easy - if you know what to do (if being the operative word :p:)
Reply 196
Meteorshower
A lot of Ah chem is surprisingly easy - if you know what to do (if being the operative word :p:)

Yeah I know what you mean. A lot of the stuff is just beginning to click which is good. I just need to learn a few mechanisms and reagents. I still don't have a clue what to put if they ask me for a reagent!
teabreak
Yeah I know what you mean. A lot of the stuff is just beginning to click which is good. I just need to learn a few mechanisms and reagents. I still don't have a clue what to put if they ask me for a reagent!

I didn't either really a couple of days ago :p: Good old cramming.

Ones to learn: 4 benzene electrophilic substitutions, nucleophilic carbonyl substitutions, forming an ester with acid chloride, forming ethers with an alkoxide ion and a halolgenoalkane.

There are probably more, but those are the ones I can think of :p:
Reply 198
hey

good luck everybody for tomorrow
ive stopped revising now im too tired dnt want to tire my brain lol

hope there isnt tooo much ppa's

lets hope we all come out smiling
Reply 199
these are the reagents tht i think are important

Alkene- Alchol (Aluminum Oxide)
Alchol- Aldehyde (Heat with Acidified Dichromate)
Alchol - Alkoxide (react with metal)
Alchol- Acid (Conc sulhpurci Acid)
Benzene+ Halogen (you need a catalyst Aluminum Chloride)
Benzene + nitronium (you need conc sulphuric acid and conc nitric acid)
benzene+ haloalkane you need catalyst same as above
benze + sulphuric acid

Aldehyde oxidised by tollens reagent or Benedicts solution

Hydrolsis (water, Hcl, NaoH) etc

Latest

Trending

Trending