Are resits fair? Watch

Katieloula
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just wondering what people thought about this.
I can see the positives of resitting if you had genuine problems around the times of the exams e.g. depression, family divorce/death etc.
But if you simply didnt try hard enough, and got a low mark, is it really fair that you get a second chance?
Personally I find it annoying when my friend who got a low C retakes the subject and gets B and boasts about it, I got that first time round, I could bloody well get As if I only had one exam to revise for and I got two chances at it.

Isn't it encouraging laziness? I know alot of people at my school were like : Oh well, if I do crap, I'll just resit, therefore dont make the effort to revise properly.

I think it's a joke that someone can retake until they get say AAB, or ABB, when if it was judged on how much work they put in the first time they would of come out with BCD. And then they get judged the same as the person who got those grades first time round??
Age_of_Innocence
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah see your point, but then do we have criteria for resits?
"I'd like to resit please."
"Has one of your family members died recently? Or you been in dire medical circumstances and confined to hospital?"
"Er, no, but..."
"Sorry, no resit. Next!"
"But I was kidnapped and held for ransom!"
"You still here?"

Extreme example but you get my point, where do you draw the line? Different things affect people in different ways, and the only way to cater for that is to allow resits. Unfortunately it may encourage laziness in some people, and while flawed is still a better system than no resits at all.
Deadly Lightshade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm... By the time you get to resit your AS levels, you'll have sent off your grades to the university. Any changes due to resits, you'll have to send to the university, mentioning they were resits [these days, anyways]. Then the unis can choose how much to discredit you for it.

Am I missing something?
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
alot of uni dont look at AS grades, and if you take a gap year then the unis will never know you resat units
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree with you. It seems to devalue the process that someone can do an exam twice and then get better than someone who only had one go at it.

I also don't agree that if you resit a module and then get a worse mark, your first, higher one will count. So it's not even as if the slate was wiped clean for you to try again.

(Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
Hmm... By the time you get to resit your AS levels, you'll have sent off your grades to the university. Any changes due to resits, you'll have to send to the university, mentioning they were resits [these days, anyways]. Then the unis can choose how much to discredit you for it.

Am I missing something?
No, if you're resitting a module your AS grade goes down as pending and your Uni will only see the A2 prediction. At least, that's my understanding.
bourney
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Katieloula)
Just wondering what people thought about this.
I can see the positives of resitting if you had genuine problems around the times of the exams e.g. depression, family divorce/death etc.
But if you simply didnt try hard enough, and got a low mark, is it really fair that you get a second chance?
Personally I find it annoying when my friend who got a low C retakes the subject and gets B and boasts about it, I got that first time round, I could bloody well get As if I only had one exam to revise for and I got two chances at it.
Isn't it encouraging laziness? I know alot of people at my school were like : Oh well, if I do crap, I'll just resit, therefore dont make the effort to revise properly.

I think it's a joke that someone can retake until they get say AAB, or ABB, when if it was judged on how much work they put in the first time they would of come out with BCD. And then they get judged the same as the person who got those grades first time round??
Then get'a retaking.
MariaQuinn
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bourney)
Then get'a retaking.
:yep:
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you obviously don't do essay subjects where your grade is often determined by the mood of the person marking it
misslaurabee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went from an E grade to an A grade because I was severely depressed the first time I sat the exam and literally couldn't think beyond trying not to just lie down and cry. Put in the same amount of work before the exam both times around. So yeah, I'd say they were fair, if used in the right way. Of course some people are going to play the system unfairly but that happens with every system, and vetting people to make sure they're resitting for the "correct" reasons is far too subjective.

Also, it is true that sometimes your first grade can be unfair because the examiner was feeling grumpy that day if you do essay subjects. Rare but it does happen.
starvla246
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You guys are probably gonna hate me. Last year I didn't work hard and I got ABBBC at Higher so I'm resitting the C. I don't go to a class and I'm supposed to work on my own. I have revised for the prelims and what not but just very last minute and yet again my exam is on thursday and I've not done too much work... I'm hoping if I work hard tomorrow and wednesday it'll all be fine... I have done better this year though, I passed the first prelim (last year I failed) and then got a high B or a low A in the second one and last year I probably got a C.
BristolBoywonder
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could get an A if you re-took, but if you were happy with a B at the time who cares about your friend results? By getting your exams out the way early it puts much less pressure on yourself and you can focus on getting better grades in your next exams.
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
What's unfair about it?

In most cases the students pay for it themselves so it has no bearing on you and even if the school pays for it, it still has no bearing whatsoever on you or other students.

Also, even if you can resit an unlimited number of times it doesn't affect other students rather it may or may not affect the student doing the resit and increases their workload as they have to combine it with A2s and coursework etc.

Also, in practice there is a limit on how many resits you can do with the balancing of new spec and old spec. For example, I'm currently doing A2s and I'm on the old spec so the last date for resitting the A2 is January 2010 meaning that there's only one chance for resits while the last date for resitting the AS for my year that was taken last summer is this summer meaning that there were only two chances for resits, January 09 and June 2010.

What's unfair about that?
hooly16
Report 9 years ago
Everyone can resit if they want to, so it's fair as far as i'm concerned
Katieloula
Rep:
?
(Original post by rich2606)
you obviously don't do essay subjects where your grade is often determined by the mood of the person marking it
Actually yes I do, thanks for presuming. I do R.E and Philosophy, Politics and Government and Drama and Theatre. Which are all essay based.
legendxo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I guess thats life, and life is unfair sometimes but as long as you get the grades you want and get to uni, what does it matter what happens to anyone else?
Starkov
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone gets the chance to resit. So yes, they are fair.
will.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course they're fair. You still have to work to get the grade that you need, you have to pay for them as well. By retaking my A-Level's I am finally realising my full academic potential and I have no regrets with retaking the year and making numerous sacrifices in order to fulfil my maximum potential, (hindsight would've been nice though) as I was on CDD at the end of Yr 13 and now I am looking at AAB at the end of Yr 14 and I've obviously had to work my arse off all year to achieve the grade increase. I just didn't get last year, it all seemed to pass so fast and I had numerous problems on the way, but it's gonna be worth it. It's more of an ego-boosting thing for me though.

At aged 16/17/18, there should be the maximum amount of help for 6th formers to achieve the best that they can. Much of this comes in the form of retake. I know of a few people at Uni now who didn't get the grades that they wanted and, although they're loving Uni, they wish that they'd stayed on to get better A-Level's.

Are resits fair? Yes.
Katieloula
Rep:
?
I just dont think it's fair that because people were lazy the first time, they should get a second chance. People worked their arse off to get those grades the FIRST time, they werent complacent, so get off your arse and do it first time round.
tom//
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Katieloula)
I just dont think it's fair that because people were lazy the first time, they should get a second chance. People worked their arse off to get those grades the FIRST time, they werent complacent, so get off your arse and do it first time round.
stop complaining will you

just because you failed your first tests it doesnt mean you didnt put effort in, could have been a bad day, nerves or whatever. jesus christ
Katieloula
Rep:
?
(Original post by tom//)
stop complaining will you

just because you failed your first tests it doesnt mean you didnt put effort in, could have been a bad day, nerves or whatever. jesus christ
Im sure people that do well get nerves too. Plus I already said obviously for extenuating circumstances its understandable. It is rather frustrating when you know people who look at their Es and Ds like : how did that happen? and actually say to me : How did you get better? When its because they damn well know they didnt even try. :shifty: Alot of my other friends agree with me on this, Im not saying you cant think differently, it was simply a topic I put forward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads