Surgery Live channel 4 Watch

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Wonder what med students thought about this

Finding it quite interesting although i'm not studying medicine myself however i'm just wondering whether or not putting some emphasis on getting camera views and all that is adding any unnecessary risk towards the patient
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I haven't watched it yet but intend to get it on 4od later this week. I know (or at least know of!) the ones who were on tonight so it would be interesting. I would guess that they are sufficiently skilled that they would not allow camera faffage to bother them, or if it was, they would stop it pretty swiftly!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
I would guess that they are sufficiently skilled that they would not allow camera faffage to bother them, or if it was, they would stop it pretty swiftly!
suppose so however if i were the patient i would like full attention to the operation XD despite what the main surgeon said that they do it quite a lot and are experienced.
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's a little weird tbh. Apparently, the surgery is "not going to plan" and the surgeon tersely asked for a "break" when the presenter asked for a chat. They have now cut the feed.
Luca118
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah I missed it, is it on like weekly? or like one week only? And if you have the times they would be much appreciated?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
suppose so however if i were the patient i would like full attention to the operation XD despite what the main surgeon said that they do it quite a lot and are experienced.
If the patient didn't want to worry about surgeons being distracted by cameras, they wouldn't have consented to have their operation filmed - and given the profile of this series, (and the bizarre time of night it's on!) I would imagine their consent would have to be pretty specific!

They also wouldn't have picked these surgeons if they weren't some of the most experienced and able to cope with this sort of thing.
olegirona
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
this is awesome.
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good surgeon, technology doesn't hold up to the show idea.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luca118)
Ah I missed it, is it on like weekly? or like one week only? And if you have the times they would be much appreciated?
Finished watching it just now. From what the presenter said at the end, i think it's daily for one week. Started at 10:30 today. Apparently there's brain surgery tomorrow
olegirona
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
Finished watching it just now. From what the presenter said at the end, i think it's daily for one week. Started at 10:30 today. Apparently there's brain surgery tomorrow
wicked. luv a bit of brain surgery
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I watched for like 10 mins and fell asleep, as interesting as open heart surgery is- i felt like i was watching an episode of holby city lol
IQ Test
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I watched it as im aspiring to be a surgeon when im older, and I think that "brain doctors" is better, has anyone watched it other than me?
I really enjoyed surgery live though, i hope it all goes well for the patient.
Polymorphing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's great that channel 4 have decided to do this and I found it stimulating. There were a few uncanny questions some from facebook?
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It is quite boring tbh, but I guess it's fun to hear surgeons explain stuff in lay terms for a change.
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah it was pretty boring. Couldn't see much at all.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by digitalis)
Yeah it was pretty boring. Couldn't see much at all.
Sounds like surgery TBH...

There's quite a bit of operation filming goes on, it's just not usually done in a public friendly way.
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
True. I saw some poor scrubbed cameraman leaning over the ether screen trying to get a shot of the field, bloody hard without getting in the way. It all seemed a little awkward tbh, lots of time filling "explaining" and sound problems. Hopefully they will clear it up before next week, it's certainly a novel idea.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by digitalis)
True. I saw some poor scrubbed cameraman leaning over the ether screen trying to get a shot of the field, bloody hard without getting in the way. It all seemed a little awkward tbh, lots of time filling "explaining" and sound problems. Hopefully they will clear it up before next week, it's certainly a novel idea.

i swear its been done before

if im honest i don't find it one bit interesting and not something i'd watch for pleasure!
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Agreed. Inbetweeners ftw!
Moabubaker
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Damn, wanted to watch this. Does anyone know how long it takes to come on 4oD catch up, after airing on TV? I'm checking now, it's not on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads