Most difficult Advanced Higher? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Casanova_1
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Okay this thread has probably already been made, but I checked around and couldn't find anything similar. I was just wondering what the majority of the people who are studying/have studied Advanced Highers think is the most demanding/difficult subject. In my opinion, it has to be English. :eek3: :yep: It is just a whole new level in comparison to other AH's and others who successfully obtain a good grade in it, deserve to be congratulated.
Lachlan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From my experience Maths, although the amount of crap you are supposed to be able to remember in Biology is ridiculous.
Agent Mulder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From my experience its Biology.
Its like being given an encyclopedia and told to remember every definition in it.
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chemistry.
FTC199
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i loved biology and maths advanced highers! all you need to do is learn the stuff in bio and be able to regurgitate it. chemistry was harder i thought but i wouldnt say it was too hard. AH physics is beyond my physics ability (so i didnt do it) but it will have been harder before they introduced the equations data booklet as there was about 4 pages of equations in it for AH
Daya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually, I disagree with English. I can see how you might find it difficult if you'd over relied on the close reading to get you an A at higher because it's only essay work at AH, but if you're widely read, I don't think it's the hardest.

What I found hard was history, there's so much to learn and because there isn't a set textbook, you have to make do with the A-level book which is slightly different. I struggled with it all year round.

Does anyone else here agree that AH's are harder than A-levels?
spoony2oo8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
after this years exam, in my opinion, it's maths
TheUnbeliever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you use the 2008 statistics and plot pass rate against the percentage of those passes which were at grades A or B, then you get some interesting results.

Overall, there is a general trend for subjects with higher pass rates to have a greater proportion of those passes be at A/B.

Geography and English are fairly unremarkable in their pass rate - but they are much harder to access the top grades for than similarly ranked subjects. The reverse is true, to a noticeably lesser extent, with maths (i.e. in maths, the top grades are more easily obtained than might be expected - but only slightly).

Music has the highest passing percentage (93.2%) and the highest proportion of those at A or B (82.4%), but these numbers are in the expected relationship to each other (if you assume a linear relationship, which seems reasonable from looking at the plot).

Business Management is apparently savage. It has by far the lowest percentage of passes, and of those, the lowest percentage were A or B (45.3% pass, 22.6% of those A/B). However, these numbers are fairly much as expected w.r.t. each other.

So, depending on how you define 'hardest', I would suggest either Bus.Man. or Geography (although there's little difference between Geography and English).
Attached files
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
If you use the 2008 statistics and plot pass rate against the percentage of those passes which were at grades A or B, then you get some interesting results.

Overall, there is a general trend for subjects with higher pass rates to have a greater proportion of those passes be at A/B.

Geography and English are fairly unremarkable in their pass rate - but they are much harder to access the top grades for than similarly ranked subjects. The reverse is true, to a noticeably lesser extent, with maths (i.e. in maths, the top grades are more easily obtained than might be expected - but only slightly).

Music has the highest passing percentage (93.2%) and the highest proportion of those at A or B (82.4%), but these numbers are in the expected relationship to each other (if you assume a linear relationship, which seems reasonable from looking at the plot).

Business Management is apparently savage. It has by far the lowest percentage of passes, and of those, the lowest percentage were A or B (45.3% pass, 22.6% of those A/B). However, these numbers are fairly much as expected w.r.t. each other.

So, depending on how you define 'hardest', I would suggest either Bus.Man. or Geography (although there's little difference between Geography and English).
Really because SG geography was a piece of piss it was common sense, and the bit of higher I did wasn't exactly difficult.
TheUnbeliever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Really because SG geography was a piece of piss it was common sense, and the bit of higher I did wasn't exactly difficult.
Remember that those conclusions were based on the statistics of people actually sitting the exam. If people who are poorer academically take Geography, or if people take Geography with no intention of putting any effort in, then that will skew the results ('I don't care what I get so long as I pass'). I personally can't comment since I have never taken NQ Geography.
akj08
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah but 70% of AH geography is coursework, and it's difficult to tell whether a piece of work will just pass/ is good/excellent. There's also the case of 6th year-itis where people have unconditionals and can't be bothered doing huge amounts of work on coursework to make it really good (very time consuming) and so just do the bare minimum/ less than they would do otherwise.
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
Remember that those conclusions were based on the statistics of people actually sitting the exam. If people who are poorer academically take Geography, or if people take Geography with no intention of putting any effort in, then that will skew the results ('I don't care what I get so long as I pass'). I personally can't comment since I have never taken NQ Geography.
Actually you are right, to be fair half my SG geography class were leaving after s4 and took it as an "easy" subject and didn't care what they got - I guess people like this wont take subjects like maths for example hence better results for it.
akj08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Actually you are right, to be fair half my SG geography class were leaving after s4 and took it as an "easy" subject and didn't care what they got - I guess people like this wont take subjects like maths for example hence better results for it.
This is about AH though not SG, and SG maths is compulsory:p:
YoSuis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My hardest has definitely been english....biology and chemistry are sooooo easy compared to it lol

Having said that if i'd worked at it properly it probably wouldn't have been as hard
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by akj08)
This is about AH though not SG, and SG maths is compulsory:p:
Yes I know but still the difficulty carries on eg. sg geography was easy, so was the bit of higher I did. Sg maths was hard (:eek3: ) and so was higher and I assume ah will be.

At our school you don't have to do sg maths ;0
akj08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Yes I know but still the difficulty carries on eg. sg geography was easy, so was the bit of higher I did. Sg maths was hard (:eek3: ) and so was higher and I assume ah will be.

At our school you don't have to do sg maths ;0
Really, that's unusual . Sorry!
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by akj08)
Really, that's unusual . Sorry!
Yeah I know it is - there are some strange things like right now my guidance teacher has me down doing 4 advanced highers and a higher :eek: even though I only want to do 3 :/
yosrush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say, from the limited experience of advanced highers that I have (doing chem & bio) that chemistry isn't easy . You can get away with memorising in biology for around 60-70 of the paper, but chemistry is... yeah....

As for the graph, Bus man is meant to be a hard AH, the marking for it is very harsh apparently and you need to write a heck of a lot for a mark. Comparing to one word answers and ticking a box in biology and chemistry, seems kinda hard. Quite surprising as higher bus man shouldn't really count as a real subject.
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Higher Bus Man"? First Media Studies, now we've got courses on superheroes who fight crime dressed as public transport. Kids these days.
Lachlan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyone else here think that the Biology course is the most excruciatingly boring thing to ever come out of the SQA? I mean Higher was bad, but it did have that one redeeming factor of being piss easy. Sadly at advanced Higher I get no satisfaction from learning about 200 pages of notes and regurgitating them word for word, its not even as if the information is in any sense of the word useful. In the words of my ex-maths teacher Des:

"Biology really is, the poor man's science"
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads