Turn on thread page Beta

Hahaha an american just said this to me... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverurie Jones)
    Overly simplified language is a sign of overly simplified minds.
    And you think American English is oversimplified? Compared to what? What do you think about Indian English, Nigerian English, and Caribbean English by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    lol... but he's a bit narrow-minded and he expresses "the US superiority" whenever he has an opportunity :rolleyes:
    Well the fact is...they are mostly superior. But sometimes it's good to remind them they haven't always been so great, and they're not the best in every area known to man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    ok ok ok... most english people would say... you americans made the language worse... wellp, they didn't it's american english now so to speak... a variation of english, changed pronounciation, spelling etc which they think is appropriate... let them be...

while us here in england, we should be proud that we "OWN" the language because they are OUR descendants... =D to be honest, its just that the world changes... and this is how it has become...

note: I hate it when they think they are the ORIGINAL =D
    It's always amusing to hear one hypernationalist complaining about someone else being a hypernationalist. I wonder how many people would rather speak Old English than the present one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    And you think American English is oversimplified? Compared to what? What do you think about Indian English, Nigerian English, and Caribbean English by the way?
    We have the term Pidgin English (a bit disparaging I know) for the English spoken in some of the Pacific Islands.

As for those versions of English, they consider British English as their reference. To be more politically correct, we sometimes use the term "Commonwealth English".

ReputationRep:
    It's always amusing to hear one hypernationalist complaining about someone else being a hypernationalist. I wonder how many people would rather speak Old English than the present one?
    Me, twould be lush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    We have the term Pidgin English (a bit disparaging I know) for the English spoken in some of the Pacific Islands.

As for those versions of English, they consider British English as their reference. To be more politically correct, we sometimes use the term "Commonwealth English".
    pidgin isn't really a language... its the first steps toward a creole..

so if english people took over an island (not that they'd ever do that of course!), the first mutual communication between the natives and the english would be a pidgin, it may be mostly simple nouns and have a dodgy grammar structure...

then, as the generations move on... the pidgin will develop into a creole, that will have set grammatical nuances, but they may not be the same as 'english'.
    an example would be the creoles in jamaica et al..

ReputationRep:

What about the Canadians and the Australians?

ReputationRep:
    What about the Canadians and the Australians?
    They also follow Commonwealth English. The Canadians are the only exception. Their spelling is basically British English but with so much American influence, they often forget what the actual spelling was, so a lot of American spellings end up being accepted in usage.

ReputationRep:
    Compared to British English, of course. The Americans can't even handle the difference between 'lie' and 'lay', for ****'s sake. What sort of cretin says 'I was just laying there'? Or 'he spit on me' instead of 'he spat on me'? Changing tense is so easy, yet they can't do it.

ReputationRep:
    american english is more world renowned than british english... and more accepted... why? their english is pronounced by the whole word letter per lettef, british accents tend to read some words incompletely and peculiar in a way...

ReputationRep:
    Compared to British English, of course. The Americans can't even handle the difference between 'lie' and 'lay', for ****'s sake. What sort of cretin says 'I was just laying there'? Or 'he spit on me' instead of 'he spat on me'? Changing tense is so easy, yet they can't do it.
    That might have something to do with the fact that "lying" and "spat" have other meanings as well.

They also follow Commonwealth English. The Canadians are the only exception. Their spelling is basically British English but with so much American influence, they often forget what the actual spelling was, so a lot of American spellings end up being accepted in usage.
    Then why is Australian harder to understand than British English (for us Yanks anyway)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_bex)
    pidgin isn't really a language... its the first steps toward a creole..

so if english people took over an island (not that they'd ever do that of course!), the first mutual communication between the natives and the english would be a pidgin, it may be mostly simple nouns and have a dodgy grammar structure...

then, as the generations move on... the pidgin will develop into a creole, that will have set grammatical nuances, but they may not be the same as 'english'.
    an example would be the creoles in jamaica et al..
    Hmmm I thought that Pidgin English was just for less clever people :eek: (I didn't actually say that). But I didn't know it evolved into Creoles... interesting. Then again, some people don't consider creole to be a language. When I've met Haitians they've got upset when I asked them if it was French Creole. "No just Creole you *******".

Are you acting as an english lit student or a linguist? I have a thing from linguists...

ReputationRep:
    That might have something to do with the fact that "lying" and "spat" have other meanings as well.
    No. It's because they're morons. Anyone who gets confused by a little synonym whose meaning is clearly indicated by context is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I thought that Pidgin English was just for less clever people :eek: (I didn't actually say that). But I didn't know it evolved into Creoles... interesting. Then again, some people don't consider creole to be a language. When I've met Haitians they've got upset when I asked them if it was French Creole. "No just Creole you *******".

Are you acting as an english lit student or a linguist? I have a thing from linguists...
    i did it for a-level... and got an a, so respect! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    have any of you tried to install software recently on the PC? When the select language option comes up, it always says 'American English' :eek: and English (British) has disappeared from many of the option menus!

American English doesn't even exist as a language!
    idlewild...

ReputationRep:
    No. It's because they're morons. Anyone who gets confused by a little synonym whose meaning is clearly indicated by context is a moron.
    Except that America is a nation of immigrants, and having words with multiple contradictory meanings makes the language harder to learn than is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Except that America is a nation of immigrants, and having words with multiple contradictory meanings makes the language harder to learn than is necessary.
    That is a truly *****y excuse.

ReputationRep:
    there isn't anything wrong with what has happened to the american language... it is to be expected... the differences should be appreciated as just that...

hate americans for their zealous religions, not their language... :p:

ReputationRep:

Then why is Australian harder to understand than British English (for us Yanks anyway)?
    Because you're not as used to hearing it? I didn't know that some Americans found Australians hard to understand unless, they start using slang... I'm full as a boot mate" then that's hard to understand for any non-Australian.

I've noticed that most North Americans can't hear the difference between an Australian accent or a British accent. I always got asked if I was Australian...or once...Swiss :confused: (in a liquor store: I think the guy was drunk).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_bex)
    hate americans for their zealous religions, not their language... :p:
    Or their simplistic frontier morality.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.