URGENT Fitness First. I need help. Watch

jaybaby
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Warning its quite long.
Ok i dunno what to do , I'm 16 yo girl right , who wanted to be healthier and lose weight.So i signed up to fitness first in a london branch.They didnt ask me to get my parental consent , the man was just concentrating on making a sale.So it was going smoothly , i was using my ema to pay , cos i thought i would have a job by then , but i didnt.
So my A Level exams came up and i knew , i wouldnt be able to balance a heavy revision timetable and going to the gym.So i asked my dad to call em , to say i wanna put the mebership on hold, .Everything was looking fine , after a few weeks , i get a beautiful letter from the debt collectors agency saying i owe up to FUCCKIIN £400 . MY mum is screaming at me saying , that it will ruin my credit history for uni.But they cant expect me to pay that , i called the agency up and the man i spoke to agreed with me as the contract cannot be valid as there is no parental consent.
I'm going to the gym to sort things out soon but what should i do.
I also wanna ask if i can lower the price as 40.05 IS TOO MUCH FOR ME , MY ONLY SOURCE OF INCOME RIGHT NOW IS EMA WHICH £30 , pathethic i know , but what do i do.
I still wanna go back , cos ive finished my exams and ive put too much weight on with late night revision binge eating.
If anyone can help me , ill deeply appreciate it.
Diffusion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jaybaby)
Warning its quite long.
Ok i dunno what to do , I'm 16 yo girl right , who wanted to be healthier and lose weight.So i signed up to fitness first in a london branch.They didnt ask me to get my parental consent , the man was just concentrating on making a sale.So it was going smoothly , i was using my ema to pay , cos i thought i would have a job by then , but i didnt.
So my A Level exams came up and i knew , i wouldnt be able to balance a heavy revision timetable and going to the gym.So i asked my dad to call em , to say i wanna put the mebership on hold, .Everything was looking fine , after a few weeks , i get a beautiful letter from the debt collectors agency saying i owe up to FUCCKIIN £400 . MY mum is screaming at me saying , that it will ruin my credit history for uni.But they cant expect me to pay that , i called the agency up and the man i spoke to agreed with me as the contract cannot be valid as there is no parental consent.
I'm going to the gym to sort things out soon but what should i do.
I also wanna ask if i can lower the price as 40.05 IS TOO MUCH FOR ME , MY ONLY SOURCE OF INCOME RIGHT NOW IS EMA WHICH £30 , pathethic i know , but what do i do.
I still wanna go back , cos ive finished my exams and ive put too much weight on with late night revision binge eating.
If anyone can help me , ill deeply appreciate it.
Gerra job
rebeccaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First of... I joined a gym when I was 16, did not need consent.
I am confused... did you dad call to cancel the contract? If you did not write anything down where is their proof?
However I think this statment is important: "i called the agency up and the man i spoke to agreed with me as the contract cannot be valid as there is no parental consent" I always thought if you were under 18 you are not accountable for debt, so the gym are in the wrong for selling their debt to the debt collection agency/

Uni... you will still get your loan.
TommyWannabe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well you're using your EMA for something completely unrelated to your education, so you deserve it IMO. Karma is great.
jaybaby
(Original post by TommyWannabe)
Well you're using your EMA for something completely unrelated to your education, so you deserve it IMO. Karma is great.
I know , i feel sooo stupid seriously.
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Debt collection agency can't do anything because your under 18, you're not legally responsible for debt yet! If you faked your age, which you didn't, then you'd have problems with fraud.

Student loans are done differently anyway, it won't affect that, though it could affect whether your bank gives you an overdraft.
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't have a great deal of sympathy, but as others have said, you're not legally liable for debts until you're 18.

Whether this means that the debt will be "written off", or whether they'll contact you when you're 18 about paying it back, I'm not sure. You'd be better off going to a Citizen's Advice Bureau for some help.
thepinkpowerranger
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't worry about uni, loans for that are nothing to do with your credit history.

My friend signed a contract with Esportsa when he was 17, when he decided he wanted out he got his mum to go in and yell at them that he didn't have her consent etc... they had to cancel it and it all ended up fine and he didn't get a bad credit rating.

http://www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/Fitnes...spx?fdFAQId=13 - that contract isn't valid, get your dad to go into FF and cancel it, make sure you get a letter to confirm it. They can't really touch you tbh it's just a case of sorting it out.
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Surely it isn't £40 a week anyway, which is what your EMA is.
rebeccaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no but she is jobless and has no ema... so cant pay the money
rebeccaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
Don't worry about uni, loans for that are nothing to do with your credit history.

My friend signed a contract with Esportsa when he was 17, when he decided he wanted out he got his mum to go in and yell at them that he didn't have her consent etc... they had to cancel it and it all ended up fine and he didn't get a bad credit rating.

http://www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/Fitnes...spx?fdFAQId=13 - that contract isn't valid, get your dad to go into FF and cancel it, make sure you get a letter to confirm it. They can't really touch you tbh it's just a case of sorting it out.
there you go my dear.... get your dad to go in person and speak to the manager.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thepinkpowerranger)

Awesome contribution.

http://www.gillhams.com/dictionary/444.cfm
http://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/ente...ract-minor.php

The contract is voidable at your instance (i.e. they can't enforce it).

If they didn't get the consent of your parents despite their own policies, it could be very bad publicity for them.

In the first instance, get your parents to go in there and get them to speak with the manager, armed with the basic law of this. If that doesn't work, speak to the CAB (google it).
jaybaby
Thanks for the help , i have sorted it out, they cancelled my membership and the charges as they did not ask me for parental consent , a mistake on their behalf.
i called the head office , that thy didnt even have a contract under my name so it was immediately cancelled there and then , They will send me a letter to confirm , that it is cancelled.
thanks for the help, i really appreaciated it.
P.s , i was not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me , im aware of the stupid misjudgements i made , and it has taught me a lesson to take into careful consideration when signing a contract with a company in the very far away future.Thanks again , for the advice.
carrotboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It won't ruin your credit rating because you're not over 18 yet.
rebeccaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It will not ruin it as she was never given credit. She just did not pay for something...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.36%
No - but I will (21)
5.56%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (184)
48.68%

Watched Threads