Got into Oxford, now what? Watch

threedaystar
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I wasn't expecting this - but I got accepted into the MPhil in European Politics and Society at Oxford a couple weeks back. Of course, I'm international and applied a bit late so I got no funding. And I also go into LSE's MSc Politics and Govt of the European Union. Also, no funding through their support scheme.

Um - so help please?

I got into two fantastic programs, but I am scared either 1) I am going to make the wrong choice or 2) Never get out of debt.

Oxford = 2 years so more pricey in the long run as far as tuition goes.
But, one year in London is still going to be $$$. The city itself is more expensive to live in...

However, what I am worried is that if I take loans to finance either (especially two years at Oxford), I will never be able to pay them back on a professors salary (I already have loans from undergrad).

Also, anyone have thoughts on how the programs compare? This is what I really need help on. Professors at my former University are telling me that if I want to go the academia route, Oxford will be best. But if I want a job, either would be good - LSE maybe a bit better here.

Any help / thoughts ???? Anyone else in the same programs ????
clad in armour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I totally lolled at the title
sorry completely useless
cheer up, you got in to Oxford
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i would go for oxford, a degree from there will get you out of your debt in no time.
Miss Mary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
*reads the thread's title*

*reads the title again*

Er, celebrate?

Are you ******* kidding me? xD
lella_m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You got into Oxford... You figure it out! :p:
impsmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you need to look at each course in detail and compare them. list pros and cons of each, look up the faculties, and perhaps email graduates from the courses for feedback. it can't hurt. Unless you're in a really precarious situation or there's a massive difference between the cost of each course I'd forget about money for a while - you can sort that stuff out later in life when you're earning a decent whack as some EU mandarin.

you also need to think about your life and where you'd prefer to be in 10 years time - academia or a "real" job? does academia excite you? if so from what you've said I'd pick Oxford. both have great reputations so I imagine finding a job will be pretty easy with either degree.

also, think about Oxford vs London as places to live. visit if you can, talk to friends etc. London is a great place but it can be intimidating if you're alone here for the first time with only a small group of postgrads. life there won't be more expensive than two years living in Oxford, but it's only worth picking London for the nightlife/culture/etc if you'll actually have time to do and see those things - if you're genuinely going to be studying full-time (evenings etc) then perhaps a College environment would be more convenient than a long tube journey in and out of the LSE each day.

really, it depends on what kind of person you are and on a couple of your preferences - do you want a life in academia? if so Oxford. are you interested in living in an fast-paced big city? if so London. good luck with your choice, it's a good one to have.
swiftuk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck with your choices.

I can certainly empathise (apart from the international fees)
Mithra
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are only just starting your masters, you definitely won't be paying them back on a professor's salary, thats a looong way ahead :p:.
Lozzaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by threedaystar)
So I wasn't expecting this - but I got accepted into the MPhil in European Politics and Society at Oxford a couple weeks back. Of course, I'm international and applied a bit late so I got no funding. And I also go into LSE's MSc Politics and Govt of the European Union. Also, no funding through their support scheme.

Um - so help please?

I got into two fantastic programs, but I am scared either 1) I am going to make the wrong choice or 2) Never get out of debt.

Oxford = 2 years so more pricey in the long run as far as tuition goes.
But, one year in London is still going to be $$$. The city itself is more expensive to live in...

However, what I am worried is that if I take loans to finance either (especially two years at Oxford), I will never be able to pay them back on a professors salary (I already have loans from undergrad).

Also, anyone have thoughts on how the programs compare? This is what I really need help on. Professors at my former University are telling me that if I want to go the academia route, Oxford will be best. But if I want a job, either would be good - LSE maybe a bit better here.

Any help / thoughts ???? Anyone else in the same programs ????

IT'S A TRAP
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mithra)
You are only just starting your masters, you definitely won't be paying them back on a professor's salary, thats a looong way ahead :p:.
Not in the US, pretty much everyone who gets a job as what the UK would could a lecturer is called a professor - whereas here we have postdocs and Fellows/lecturers, there they have Assistant Professors.
Mithra
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wadhamite)
Not in the US, pretty much everyone who gets a job as what the UK would could a lecturer is called a professor - whereas here we have postdocs and Fellows/lecturers, there they have Assistant Professors.
Indeed, however I believe that Oxford is in the UK :dontknow:. :p:

I suppose if she's going back to America afterwards then it would make sense :p:.
IQ Test
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Firstly, congratulations on making Oxford!
My Dad went to Jesus college to do phonetic linguistics as a postgrad, and he tells me that having Oxford on his CV REALLY gives him the edge. I'd take Oxford, its a much nicer place too!
Good luck =-D
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I suppose if she's going back to America afterwards then it would make sense :p:.
I blame exams for rotting my brain
threedaystar

Yup - I am American. Usually I am pretty good on making sure I use the UK equivalent of words - but I messed up on that one. I was meaning American tenured University professors (which is the highest teaching and research you can do in the states).

Also - I while I would love to stay in the EU, my lack of EU citizenship is going to be a barrier after school. So I am guessing, that moving back to the states for a job is going to be likely.
threedaystar
(Original post by IQ Test)
Firstly, congratulations on making Oxford!
My Dad went to Jesus college to do phonetic linguistics as a postgrad, and he tells me that having Oxford on his CV REALLY gives him the edge. I'd take Oxford, its a much nicer place too!
Good luck =-D
I applied for Jesus as one of my top choices. Still don't know my college - but I am x-ing my fingers that I get in!
WarmEye
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Now you ruined your life.
threedaystar
(Original post by WarmEye)
Now you ruined your life.
Pray tell?
IQ Test
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I applied for Jesus as one of my top choices. Still don't know my college - but I am x-ing my fingers that I get in!
Hey awesome! What did you apply for?
Jesus is a good location aswell as really nice place, so good luck! =D

Edit : Whoops, I just noticed you started the thread so I now know what you applied for!
How does the Oxford admissions process actually work?
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also - I while I would love to stay in the EU, my lack of EU citizenship is going to be a barrier after school. So I am guessing, that moving back to the states for a job is going to be likely.
I shouldn't think so - I think you can stay for a year or so after you finish studying, and if you can get a job, you should easily meet the skilled migrant requirements for the UK/EU - there seem to be plenty of foreign (non-EU, esp. US, Australia, NZ) staff teaching at Oxford.
threedaystar
(Original post by wadhamite)
I shouldn't think so - I think you can stay for a year or so after you finish studying, and if you can get a job, you should easily meet the skilled migrant requirements for the UK/EU - there seem to be plenty of foreign (non-EU, esp. US, Australia, NZ) staff teaching at Oxford.
I am hoping for this. My research field in primarily based in western Europe - so it would be easiest to stay. I also have commonwealth status (due to having a dual citizenship) - I hope that this may make the work requirements a bit easier as well.

However, I would love to return eventually to the states to teach and research at my alma mater (yes...I loved it that much). We will see though >> a lot can change in the next couple years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads