The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Emma

To get back to your original question, this is a tricky one. There is a procedure that has to be followed in these cases so I can't really comment.

BUT The rules are that you should not have a mobile phone in your possession during the exam. The invigilator will send a report to SQA which we will consider and then we send a letter to the school advising them of the proposed penalty. You do have the right to put forward a case at this stage.

There is some information in the Your Exams guide that was given out before the exams by your school. You'll also find it on www.sqa.org.uk. Personally, I would advise you to speak to your school ASAP.

Hope that helps.
SAM
I have a friend whose phone went off during a Standard Grade exam a couple of years ago (I think someone texted her) and nothing happened. They said that because it was in a box at the front of the room (instead of in her bag) they wouldn't do anything about it, but if she'd had it on her or even in her bag at the front of the room she'd have had the exam cancelled.
Reply 62
FruitFaerie
Our invigilators just say 'All phones off?' and tell is what to do.
Ours are nice, the main invigilator gave me an extra 5 minutes in my Higher Product Design exam cause I had a coughing fit near the end of the exam. And she gave me an extra 10 minutes in AH Geography because younger people kept coming and leaving the exam hall.

Apparently it happened to someone in the year below me last year and they were withdrawn from the exam.

I always put my phone off and take the battery out just incase.

Your invigilators may be nice, but I'm pretty sure giving you extra time simply because people are going in and out would be against the rules. Everyone else puts up with it. I did Higher Geography this year and if the time constraints in AH are anything like in Higher, an extra 10 minutes would be very helpful but also very unfair on the rest of the candidates sitting the exam.

zman
Just realised that our invigilating is quite relaxed compared to other schools.

In SG English, somebody's phone went off at the front of the room. The invigilator simply said "whoevers phone that is had better come to the front and switch it off now"
The person did, and that was the end of it.

We also put our phones down the front, although are allowed water on desks, jackets and bags on seats etc.
Only thing their strict on is no folders in the floors near our feet, but that is definitely reasonable.

We weren't in the hall for history today and were given a double desk each in a classroom.
Something I noticed was one guy had a full folder of notes on his double desk.
He definitely wasn't using them, as I was checking, and it wasn't the correct notes for that paper, but still, it wasn't picked up upon.

Your invigilators also do not appear to be following rules regarding the mobile phone issue. And they must be rather incompetent to allow someone to sit with a folder of notes in front of them during an external exam.

Overreaction? I don't think so. But I'm willing to read others opinions.
Reply 63
Yesterday I was in an exam and someone got a text and their phone did the do-do do-do thing and the invigilators didn't even look up despite half of the hall's heads turning.
Reply 64
Last year, when someone in the year below me was sitting their Standard Grade Maths, their phone went off. Since there were 5 Invigilators in the room, they searched through the bags and discovered the phone.

The person had all of their papers cancelled because they didn't admit to it and it went off for something like 10 minutes.
knack
Your invigilators may be nice, but I'm pretty sure giving you extra time simply because people are going in and out would be against the rules. Everyone else puts up with it. I did Higher Geography this year and if the time constraints in AH are anything like in Higher, an extra 10 minutes would be very helpful but also very unfair on the rest of the candidates sitting the exam.

Our tables were at the very back of the hall where the doors are and it's extremely hard to concentrate on one of the most important exams of your life to date when loads of people are walking past and grabbing their bags.
The invigilator clearly noticed that myself and my best friend (who were the only ones doing Adv H Geo) couldn't write at all and had to wait until everyone had left.

Not every school is the same in regards to how exams are carried out and you kind of have to accepy that. Sometimes it isn't always in your favour anyway. At the end of the day, different conditions call for different methods.
There isn't a single exam that starts at the same time as everyone in Scotland, there isn't a single exam that lasts the same everywhere either.

The invigilators certainly don't break the rules, they are very strict women and make sure all the rules are followed and will not slack off and give people extra time for the sheer hell of it. They are experienced in what they do and understand that students deserve the entire allocated time in absolute silence.
Aerif
they searched through the bags

There's something really creepy about that, to me. I know it's hardly a massive violation of liberty but... I dunno. To think they'd happily just snatch up your bag and rummage through it...
Reply 67
FruitFaerie
Our tables were at the very back of the hall where the doors are and it's extremely hard to concentrate on one of the most important exams of your life to date when loads of people are walking past and grabbing their bags.
The invigilator clearly noticed that myself and my best friend (who were the only ones doing Adv H Geo) couldn't write at all and had to wait until everyone had left.

Not every school is the same in regards to how exams are carried out and you kind of have to accepy that. Sometimes it isn't always in your favour anyway. At the end of the day, different conditions call for different methods.
There isn't a single exam that starts at the same time as everyone in Scotland, there isn't a single exam that lasts the same everywhere either.

The invigilators certainly don't break the rules, they are very strict women and make sure all the rules are followed and will not slack off and give people extra time for the sheer hell of it. They are experienced in what they do and understand that students deserve the entire allocated time in absolute silence.

Ok, maybe I didn't appreciate how circumstances can differ so much from school to school. And I guess my argument isn't that strong since I haven't experienced your invigilation.

Based on your account though I can say that hopefully in the future your school/invigilators will 1) sit you somewhere less distracting and 2)Tell candidates to leave there bags somewhere other than the exam hall :yep:
Reply 68
My maths teacher said that a girl in another school's phone went off in her pocket and ALL her exams got cancelled :eek:
That put me off taking my phone within a metre radius of the hall lol.
Reply 69
I just remembered in the prelims last year one of the invigilator's phones went off. They said to say if anyone knew whose phone it was. It rang for about 5 minutes.. very distracting.. Then one of them looked in their coat pocket, then left the room and talked loudly on it right outside the door..
Reply 70
just getting a warning! so relieved.

Latest

Trending

Trending