The Student Room Group

OCR MEI D1 17th June

anyone else here doing this? I don't feel properly prepared atm and need to practice a lot more, but due to it being 3 weeks away I'm focusing more of my time into on the exams I have next week. From the practice I have done though I've found that I'm OK with most of the content, I just need to get used to the way of thinking required/ make sure not to rush and make silly mistakes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing this... I revised for our mock, to see where about I was, but as I have three exams next week, and one the monday after... then a week and half til the decisions exam, I think I wait a while before I start revising again.
I wouldn't want to do the exam tomorrow, but will quite easily be able to be perfectly prepared within a few days - I've already got my revision notes done for it, I'll just work through them and a few past papers. I'll have to do well, as I can't rely on C2 :smile:
Reply 2
Disgusting module, but I will still have to do a fair bit before I am ready for it.

I hate the way we get given a set of instructions and mindlessly apply them. /rant
Reply 3
Yeah, I hate it hehe, it's not really maths now is it =]
Reply 4
I love decisions! It's the easiest and requires very little thought!
I suppose I'm not really a maths person, so decisions is a nice midway between maths and some other type of random written exam
I'm not that fond of it either really, at one point I was going on about how I was going to give up on D1 and teach myself M3 next year so I would still have 12 good maths + further maths modules at the end of next year!
Reply 6
I'm doing it, I can do most of the stuff, but haven't done that much revision since it is really late, and I've got 6 exams before it. I'm just worried about a weird question and losing a lot of marks.
The papers I've done FP1 and NM were harder than the previous past papers, so I'm nervous.
Reply 7
I wondor if somebody could help me out:
2004 Specimen paper, question 5ii and 5iii,

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publicati..._Maths_SAM.pdf

What on earth are upper bounds? I went through my textbook this morning and there were no mention of upper bounds anywhere?
Reply 8
NesQuiK.

What on earth are upper bounds? I went through my textbook this morning and there were no mention of upper bounds anywhere?

Link doesnt work, would love to help :smile:
Reply 10
it's my worst module. If it goes really bad maybe I can put it onto my regular maths A level. I don't know. I've got economics and stats before D1 so im concentrating on them first.
Reply 11

Well wow, I did my D1 in january, got 80/100 and I dont really know how to answer that question :p: sorry. Luckily I got my A in it so im not resitting, sorry I cant be of any help, I think ive forgotten most D1 but I certainly have never seen a question on upper and lower bounds come up, what the hell is that about :p:

EDIT: Ill tell you why we dont know about it! Because those past papers or for OCR, not OCR MEI! Two different exam boards in this case! :biggrin:, that must be a relief for you..
Reply 12
NesQuiK.

I have no idea whatsoever - we've never had them before
That isn't MEI though, that is just OCR, so perhaps its a different syllabus?

I did find this though... maybe it will be helpful?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_bound
Reply 13
win2kpro
Well wow, I did my D1 in january, got 80/100 and I dont really know how to answer that question :p: sorry. Luckily I got my A in it so im not resitting, sorry I cant be of any help, I think ive forgotten most D1 but I certainly have never seen a question on upper and lower bounds come up, what the hell is that about :p:

EDIT: Ill tell you why we dont know about it! Because those past papers or for OCR, not OCR MEI! Two different exam boards in this case! :biggrin:, that must be a relief for you..

Lol i am doing OCR! Nobody on the OCR thread knew so i thought maybe somebody here knew as the two specs are quite similar.
Reply 14
NesQuiK.
Lol i am doing OCR! Nobody on the OCR thread knew so i thought maybe somebody here knew as the two specs are quite similar.

Ouch lol! whens your exam?

Asking a teacher would be the best option... unless you have already figured it out :p:

Good luck with it!
Reply 15
An upper bound is the largest a number so that when you round it, you get that number. Lower bound is the lowest it can be.

E.g. 5: Lower bound is 4.5, as rounding that will give you 5.
The upper bound is 5.5. Although, it is more like 5.4999..., you say 5.5 for ease. Similar to how 0.9999... is considered 1.

Another e.g. Take 6.7: Lowest bound would be 6.65, Upper bound would be 6.75.

You get it a bit more now?

I did this at GCSE, surprising so many people haven't come across it :s
Reply 16
Shayke
Although, it is more like 5.4999..., you say 5.5 for ease. Similar to how 0.9999... is considered 1.

While it would probably be better to ignore this point, so as not to derail this thread into another "0.9 recurring = 1!!!!!" thread, 0.9 recurring isn't "considered" 1; it is 1. In the same way, 5.499... recurring is exactly equal to 5.5.

P.S. Nice try but no cigar.
Reply 17
BJack
While it would probably be better to ignore this point, so as not to derail this thread into another "0.9 recurring = 1!!!!!" thread, 0.9 recurring isn't "considered" 1; it is 1. In the same way, 5.499... recurring is exactly equal to 5.5.

P.S. Nice try but no cigar.

Lol, well, whatever really, hopefully the guy gets it a bit more now =]

Just some people would say 5.5 rounds to 6 - was just demonstrating that by saying 5.5, we get it from 5.4999....

But yeah, hope it has helped a little... :yep:
Reply 18
Shayke

I did this at GCSE, surprising so many people haven't come across it :s

LOL yeah i know what an upper bound means in the gcse sense, i dont think thats what the d1 question was referring to though!
Reply 19
NesQuiK.
LOL yeah i know what an upper bound means in the gcse sense, i dont think thats what the d1 question was referring to though!

Ah right, sorry, hadn't checked out the paper :tongue:

Ask your teacher =]

Latest

Trending

Trending