The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

How safe is Newcastle city/Newcastle University?

This probably gets asked a lot, but as I am considering to go to Newcastle I was wondering how safe the university and the city are

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
G O D I V A
This probably gets asked a lot, but as I am considering to go to Newcastle I was wondering how safe the university and the city are

No where is safe..even in your room. I understand what your saying though... in all honesty, it's safe from my experience if you make it safe.

That pretty much sums up everything, you'll have to go take a visit around newcastle though judging one day isn't going to help as everyday is different.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Dont be walking around Arthurs Hill after dark and you'll be ok. There is quite a high crime rate here than other areas but if you're smart, you stay alive.
Reply 3
As a student you rarely venture out of the relatively safe city centre. I've never felt threatened anyway.

Town on a Saturday night can be eyeopening though...
I would say that it's relatively safe. Of course there's going to be some unsafe areas etc. but that's the case in any big city. I personally wouldn't say there's anything to worry about.
Reply 5
G O D I V A

It has one of the most compact and, arguably, safest city centres in the country. For a major city it has a compartively low crime rate. Pretty much comparable to the national average but a lot lower than many of the other major cities and population centres (much of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow...)

The west end of the city, Arthurs Hill, Elswick, Scotswood etc. are the particularly derpvied parts of the city. But even these areas, if you take the normal precautions and don't go looking for trouble, are fine. I've had more trouble in my largely middle class semi-rural village than in places like Elswick. But, as a student, you'll rarely/never be in these areas anyway. You'll spend most of your time in the centre city which, as I said, is fairly safe. Gets a bit rowdy on a Friday or Saturday night as any "party" city does, but it's usually good natured. You still need to kip your wits about you of course. There's no great town/gown divide that you get in some of the smaller cities (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter). The areas you'll live after your second year will be largely Jesmond and Heaton. These areas, Jesmond in particular, are leafy, middle class, relatively safe.

To be fair, you can get trouble anyway. You just need to keep your wits about you and know how to reduce the likelihood you'll be a victim. But, as a city, Newcastle's fine.

As for the university, like the city centre its compact and self contained. Much of it based on the same city centre campus. So you don't need to make long treks across undesirable parts and they'll usually be people around you with decent security.
Reply 6
Born and raised in the west end of the city, lived in Richardson Road this year.

The only place I've ever had proper trouble was when I was maybe 16/17 and was chased by crazy drunk bastard with a knife and that was in Heaton which is usually ok, other than that in my two decades of living in this city it's been fine.

There is little reason for any non-Geordie students to go to Scotswood/Elswick.
Reply 7
You shouldn't encounter problems if you're wise in most cities, and Newcastle is safer that most the major cities if crime statistics are anything to go by. Also, the city centre is busy, well lit up and full of cameras - the police were assuring us at the start of uni that while we need to make sure we're sensible, it is a "very safe city". You won't need to enter the roughest areas of the city (basically the areas along the river, east and west of the city centre).

Definitely shouldn't be a deciding factor against choosing what university. I speak for many other students when I say it's a fantastic university and city.
Reply 8
My first day in Newcaslte, two days ago, walked into the metro and stumbled upon two drunk newcastle football team supporters. Was insulted, got some racist comments etc. Was about to get into a fight but told them I supported the team too--that settled them down. That was somewhere around Hadrian Road. What i learned is that typically if your not an oustider ur safe.

(i'm moroccan by the way)
yousser
My first day in Newcaslte, two days ago, walked into the metro and stumbled upon two drunk newcastle football team supporters. Was insulted, got some racist comments etc. Was about to get into a fight but told them I supported the team too--that settled them down. That was somewhere around Hadrian Road. What i learned is that typically if your not an oustider ur safe.

Sorry to hear about that :frown: Is that Hadrian Road Metro station? If it is, that's in Wallsend, which is about a 15 minute bus-ride away from Newcastle.
yousser

best i get me some protection then... a newcastle football club shirt
TheSophist

Just be sure you don't venture any closer to Sunderland than Pelaw with it on. :p:

Newcastle is a pretty safe place overall, but if your not a native then stay away from the West End. The town centre is perfectly safe though, even though, as previously mentioned, it can get lively on a weekend.

I'm a local and regularly wear my Sunderland shirt in town without too much bother :cool: I'm looking forward to next season.
Why would you be looking forward to next season? No rivalry, youll be going down, and then youll be missing out on the NE derby again the season after, because we're coming straight back up! :p: . In all honesty, I dont really believe it myself, so slate away :o: .

Newcastle is safe, the 3 years I lived there the only trouble I ever got was on a Saturday night if your a bloke and your out with anything that isnt a bloke. Stick to student areas and student nights out and you will be absolutely a-ok.
Reply 13
As people are saqying avoid the west end like the plague
The extreme east (North Shields, Meadowell, Percy Main) likewise.
Drugged up/drunk vermin have virtually made the metro no go, never mind actually being there.
The comment by the Moroccan bloke about saying you support the toon is fact
Anyone black, or asian - you wear a toon top and you proven are one of us !:biggrin:
Reply 14
Phil K
As people are saqying avoid the west end like the plague
The extreme east (North Shields, Meadowell, Percy Main) likewise.
Drugged up/drunk vermin have virtually made the metro no go, never mind actually being there.
The comment by the Moroccan bloke about saying you support the toon is fact
Anyone black, or asian - you wear a toon top and you proven are one of us !:biggrin:

I do hope you get promoted next season best of luck to ya, but honestly it would be sweet to play you in the cup at st james park:smile:

The only thing I want next season like every other liverpulidian is to go that one step further next season and win the league!:smile:
Reply 15
Devil in Your Details
Just be sure you don't venture any closer to Sunderland than Pelaw with it on. :p:

Newcastle is a pretty safe place overall, but if your not a native then stay away from the West End. The town centre is perfectly safe though, even though, as previously mentioned, it can get lively on a weekend.

I'm a local and regularly wear my Sunderland shirt in town without too much bother :cool: I'm looking forward to next season.

As a fellow SAFC fan, I also regularly venture into Newcastle with my football shirt on without getting much hassel.

However, I agree with you about being native...geordies are surprisingly friendly in the town centre itself but towards the west end it can get a little, how do you say, boisterous.

As with any town centre, on a weekend night, or even student nights (which I believe to be a Monday or Wednesday, but don't quote me on it) Newcastle centre can get lively, especially around the Bigg Market area:rolleyes:
Reply 16
TheSophist

Just don't venture near Sunderland in it. Or Washington, for that matter.

I've never had any problems in Newcastle. Just don't hang around places late at night. That goes for anywhere, tbh.
Reply 17
As others have said, the city centre is relatively safe. In fact, I didn't really see that many police about on nights out. This is unusual for me, since i'm from Liverpool (usually police on every street corner of a night :s-smilie: ).

But yeah, its quite safe. Don't be complacent though.
yousser

Do u like Newcastle??
What's it like??
Reply 19
I came to newcastle from a small island. A move from there to a city can be a bit scary. However, I have never had a problem around the toon. You will probably never go out alone anyways, you will hang out with your flat mates or people on your course.

Trust me, you will love the nightlife.. if you are into dance or rock music. There is places to go without trouble. Cheap students nights every day of the week. Students are always going back and forth from halls, so you are not walking down dark streets or that.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending