The Student Room Group

Gcse - 3d Shape Questions

Basically, in my GCSE maths exam next week, there may be a good chance of a question about 3D shape working coming in. I am familiar with ordinary 3D shapes like cub, sphere, etc..

But I find the working out using 3D shape questions ALWAYS hard. I have posted 2 examples of WHAT I mean exactly, below.

I do not want the answers to these questions since I have the mark scheme. However, no matter how much I understand how the mark scheme worked out the answer to the question, I am unable to do another shape question (same type) on another paper. I have tried a few books but not so helpful :frown:..

Could anyone teach me by posting here..? Or post some very useful websites from which I can learn this properly so I am able to do any question on this topic correctly?

2 EXAM QUESTIONS TO SHOW YOU WAHT I MEAN - I DON'T NEED THE ANSWERS TO THESE ..

http://www.yummiehost.com/images/52569shape%20question.png
Reply 1
Hey, sorry I can't give an in depth answer atm as I'm currently supposed to be revising for the same exam but have also posted a plea for help (on congruent triangles!).

A few hints. Question 1 you have to use trigonometry to find the length of AE (SOHCAHTOA and all that lark). Following that you need to use pythagoras to work out DE as DE squared is equal to DA squared + AE squared.

Question 2 you have to work out OV using trig again. Try imagining the first image divided into triangles, then use trig to work out the height as you already have a right angle and the length of the hypotenuse.

I really hope that helped. A website I use is www.mymaths.co.uk but your school needs to have an account.

Good luck next week!
sam xxx
Reply 2
all the questions are going to involve looking for a 2d shape (usually a triangle) within it, then doing something with that.

for example in the first one, we look at the triangle DEB, in the second VOA (or VOB, or VOB, etc.)

so spot the triangle, draw it out, then things should seem a lot easier.
Reply 3
Out of curiosity, is the answer to Q2 5.66?

Latest