Official Bankside 2009 Thread Watch

BanksideCommittee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello Future Banksiders,

We are the Bankside House Committee (the students elected each year to put on events in the hall), and it will be our job to welcome new students when you start arriving in September.

Please use this thread to ask any questions you have about Bankside. (We are aware there was already a Bankside thread, however, this appears to have evolved into a Rosebury v Butlers Wharf debate.)

As it's the middle of exam season we may be a bit busy but will try to answer every question you have as comprehensively as possible!

-Committee

P.S. If you're on Facebook, we have an official group set up for next year's students: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3303681&ref=nf
Oldboy5745
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, thanks for taking the effort and offering to answer questions, especially during exams :eek3: This is probably relevant as there's loads of controversy and rumours floating around about the various halls and their relative properties XD
I have a quick question; since I'm gonna be in a twin room, I wanted to ask whether the two people sleep in the same room or have a bed in separate rooms? I've seen videos with two beds beside each other and also photos with induvidual rooms so I'd like to clarify on that :0
Ty in advance Good luck in your exams.
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
Can you describe a typical menu in the canteen please.
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldboy5745)
I have a quick question; since I'm gonna be in a twin room, I wanted to ask whether the two people sleep in the same room or have a bed in separate rooms? I've seen videos with two beds beside each other and also photos with induvidual rooms so I'd like to clarify on that :0
If you have a "twin" room that means you're sharing the room, so both of you will sleep in the same room. However, these rooms are usually very large (some are literally enormous) and will have an en-suite bathroom.

(Original post by Mr Kipling)
Can you describe a typical menu in the canteen please.
The canteen usually has two meat options (e.g. chicken, curry, chilli con carne), two non-meat options (e.g. pasta, vegetable curry) and sometimes a "premium" option as well.

The meals cost £2.25 for non-meat option with a vegetable side (this includes potato, when available, but not chips) or £2.50 for the meat option with a vegetable side.

Without the side is about £2 or something but I can't remember as I always get a side. I think it's £2.05 or £2.15 for the meat option without a side. Chips are 80p I think.

HTH
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
Is there a place/room where everyone on the same floor can just chill out?
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
Is there a place/room where everyone on the same floor can just chill out?
Yes. There are lounges, one per floor, with a TV and two sofas (and a microwave).

There is also a large bar in the basement, which has 2 pool tables, a foosball table, several comfortable seating areas and Sky TV, as well as a TV lounge with a projector TV and DVD player you can use, a small video arcade, a music room with a piano and a study room.
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BanksideCommittee)
Yes. There are lounges, one per floor, with a TV and two sofas (and a microwave).

There is also a large bar in the basement, which has 2 pool tables, a foosball table, several comfortable seating areas and Sky TV, as well as a TV lounge with a projector TV and DVD player you can use, a small video arcade, a music room with a piano and a study room.
Wow that sounds awesome.

Please tell me Sky TV includes skysports?!

Is there table tennis?
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
Please tell me Sky TV includes skysports?!
It does - costs us a fortune!

Is there table tennis?
Oops - forgot about that! Yep - we have a table tennis room as well!
Frontier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know it varies year on year, but is Bankside a social hall in general?
jcb309
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend who is currently at LSE said that bankside is very far away from the university itself...but according to the website its 15 minutes walk.
Realistically- how far away would you guys say it is?
Is it worth getting a bike?
Ladyviolet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jcb309)
My friend who is currently at LSE said that bankside is very far away from the university itself...but according to the website its 15 minutes walk.
Hello you! I saw loads of bikes outside bankside when I went to visit so it looks like it's possibly a good idea... That would be fun !
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
Apparently, 20 minutes.

I think it will be ok if we walk with a bunch of friends. Be pretty cool walking along the Thames every day.
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frontier)
I know it varies year on year, but is Bankside a social hall in general?
Bankside's large enough that you will meet people who like to socialize the same way you do - there are people who go clubbing multiple times a week, people who go to the bar every night, and many who just go to other people's rooms and hang out with friends, drink a bit, watch some DVDs etc.

There are, I will admit, also some students who stay in their rooms and do nothing, but if you're sociable you'll find plenty of other people like you and plenty of things to do!

Bankside is 20-25 mins depending on how quickly you walk and whether there are any girls in heels with you. :rolleyes:

If you get a bike you can probably get to LSE really quickly - there are quite a few people who have bikes here. Consider that you'll be cycling alongside London traffic though.
jcb309
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bankside is 20-25 mins depending on how quickly you walk and whether there are any girls in heels with you. :rolleyes:

If you get a bike you can probably get to LSE really quickly - there are quite a few people who have bikes here. Consider that you'll be cycling alongside London traffic though.
Thanks! Okay maybe I'll invest in a bike...I know this may sound like a noob question, but how much does a bike cost? I've never lived in England so I have no idea about anything really... is 100pounds enough for a bike?
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
Thanks! Okay maybe I'll invest in a bike...I know this may sound like a noob question, but how much does a bike cost? I've never lived in England so I have no idea about anything really... is 100pounds enough for a bike?
Yea for a standard no frills bike £100 is enough.

£150 for a decent one.
zoomzoomzoom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi! Does the hall put on any events during Freshers' week or is it mainly the uni that handles that stuff. cheers.
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
(Original post by zoomzoomzoom)
Hi! Does the hall put on any events during Freshers' week or is it mainly the uni that handles that stuff. cheers.
Yep - we put events on all year round! Freshers' week we will definitely have numerous events on to help new Banksiders get to know each other!
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
Yep - we put events on all year round! Freshers' week we will definitely have numerous events on to help new Banksiders get to know each other!
Any examples?
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
Any examples?
To give you some examples of events we've put on during the year include:

- Boat party
- Subsidized club nights (free booze, cheap tickets, VIP lounge for Banksiders)
- Quiz nights
- Numerous bar events (free pizza and chicken wings, usually to tie in with sporting events etc)
- The "Bankside Olympics" (bar-based sporting contest)
- Beer pong nights
- Free soft-drinks nights (during exam revision)

I can't say what we'll be doing during the freshers' week for sure yet, but it will probably include various receptions, free food/drink events and at least one subsized club night.
Mr Kipling
Report 9 years ago
To give you some examples of events we've put on during the year include:

- Boat party
- Subsidized club nights (free booze, cheap tickets, VIP lounge for Banksiders)
- Quiz nights
- Numerous bar events (free pizza and chicken wings, usually to tie in with sporting events etc)
- The "Bankside Olympics" (bar-based sporting contest)
- Beer pong nights
- Free soft-drinks nights (during exam revision)

I can't say what we'll be doing during the freshers' week for sure yet, but it will probably include various receptions, free food/drink events and at least one subsized club night.
I swear everything you have told me about Bankside so far has been soo positive....

It has to be the best accommodation out there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads