arcsin/cos/tan Watch

awargi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
------------------------------------------------------------------

can somebody explain to me wat does "arcsin" "arccos" "arctan" mean ???

thnx alot.

--------------------------------
MonkeyMajik
Report 9 years ago
it's just sin^-1, cos^-1, tan^-1
miml
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They are the inverse trig functions.

So the inverse of sin is arcsin, etc. I'm not 100% sure exactly what you want to know about them.
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by awargi)
------------------------------------------------------------------

can somebody explain to me wat does "arcsin" "arccos" "arctan" mean ???

thnx alot.

--------------------------------
well i suppose you are familiar with sin, cos and tan. Its just the inverse function of those. What level are you at GCSE i assume?

Often written as sin^-1 etc
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not to be confused with cosec x, sec x and cot x... Which are 1/sin x, 1/cos x and 1/tan x respectively.

When you have f(x), its inverse function [f^-1(x)] is f(x) reflected in the line y=x. Arcsin, arccos and arctan are the inverses you get on the calculator, where it says sin^-1, like everyone else has said.

However, in this case ^-1 doesn't mean 'one over...', it's just a way of writing the inverse function. I know this bit confused me when my maths teacher tried to explain the difference - hope it's of some use!
struz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sorry for butting in but i was about to post a thread relating to this topic but since there's already one, how are \frac{1}{sin x} and arcsin different? when would you use arcsin instead of \frac{1}{sin x}?

and also here be the question,
(b) Given that x = 4 sin (2y + 6), find \frac{dy}{dx} in terms of x.

Managed to get this:

\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{8 cos (2y +6)} but then it gives as the final answer \frac{1}{8 cos (arcsin \frac{x}{4})} ...which just made me ridiculously confused.

could anyone please explain how they get there? ta for any help
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by struz)
sorry for butting in but i was about to post a thread relating to this topic but since there's already one, how are \frac{1}{sin x} and arcsin different? when would you use arcsin instead of \frac{1}{sin x}?

Managed to get this:

\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{8 cos (2y +6)} but then it gives as the final answer \frac{1}{8 cos (arcsin \frac{x}{4})} ...which just made me ridiculously confused.

You've got it in terms of y; you need to rearrange x = 4\sin (2y + 6) to get y in terms of x.
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by struz)

Managed to get this:

Essentially, arcsin, arccos etc. are the buttons you press on the calculator for solving something like sin x = 0.5, so you do arcsin [sin^-1] and get x=30. cosec x is 1/sin x, and I think you'd tend to use this one in trying to solve other equations where you might need a trig identity.
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by struz)

Managed to get this:

If x=4sin(2y+6), rearrange this to get an expression in terms of x for 8cos(2y+6) and substitute it in. Here goes:

x^2=16sin^2(2y+6)

= 16(1-cos^2(2y+6))

= 16 - 16cos^2(2y+6)

16cos^2(2y+6) = 16 - x^2

4cos(2y+6) = (16-x^2)^1/2

8cos(2y+6) = 2(16-x^2)^1/2

Then substitute 8cos(2y+6) for the expression in terms of x and simplify!

Hope that's right... :eek:
struz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
You've got it in terms of y; you need to rearrange x = 4\sin (2y + 6) to get y in terms of x.
ok this attempt is no doubt going to be horrific but is here goes...

\frac{x}{4sin} = (2y + 6) (i don't think that's actually mathematically allowed/possible?!)

and then divide by 2 and minus 6? ha something went wrong...sorry, i still can't work it out!
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by struz)

\frac{x}{4sin} = (2y + 6) (i don't think that's actually mathematically allowed/possible?!)

and then divide by 2 and minus 6? ha something went wrong...sorry, i still can't work it out!
No no no - you can't split up sin(2y+6)!!! There's no such thing as 4sin!! :eek3:
struz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fishpie57)
No no no - you can't split up sin(2y+6)!!! There's no such thing as 4sin!! :eek3:
hahaha :o: oh the shame, i'm sorry, i'm just a bit **** at grasping most mathematical concepts!

thanks for your post above, it is the right answer! but the stage just before it in the mark scheme gives \frac{1}{8 cos (arcsin \frac{x}{4})} and i'm just a bit stumped as to how to get there?
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by struz)

You should know that the inverse of \sin x is \sin^{-1} x... that is, A = \sin B \Rightarrow B = \sin^{-1} A. Apply this here:

\newline x = 4\sin(2y + 6)\newline

\Rightarrow \dfrac{x}{4} = \sin(2y + 6)\newline

\Rightarrow \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) = 2y + 6\ (*) \newline

\Rightarrow \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) - 6 = 2y \newline

\Rightarrow y = \dfrac{1}{2} \Bigg( \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) - 6 \Bigg)

I put a (*) next to the one that you need, because you can just replace 2y+6 with  \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) in your answer (which gives you the same as what the actual answer is).
awargi
Rep:
?
so basically wat u people are trying to tell me is this that

sin^-1 is arcsin and not \frac{1}{sin}
awargi
Rep:
?
(Original post by struz)

Managed to get this:

is this C3 or C4???
Daniel Freedman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by awargi)
so basically wat u people are trying to tell me is this that

sin^-1 is arcsin and not \frac{1}{sin}
Yes. The notation is a bit confusing, but  \sin^{-1}(x) means the inverse sine function.  (\sin{x})^{-1} would mean  \frac{1}{\sin{x}}
struz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
You should know that the inverse of \sin x is \sin^{-1} x... that is, A = \sin B \Rightarrow B = \sin^{-1} A. Apply this here:

\newline x = 4\sin(2y + 6)\newline

\Rightarrow \dfrac{x}{4} = \sin(2y + 6)\newline

\Rightarrow \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) = 2y + 6\ (*) \newline

\Rightarrow \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) - 6 = 2y \newline

\Rightarrow y = \dfrac{1}{2} \Bigg( \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) - 6 \Bigg)

I put a (*) next to the one that you need, because you can just replace 2y+6 with  \sin^{-1} \left( \dfrac{x}{4} \right) in your answer (which gives you the same as what the actual answer is).
Thank you!

awargi - tis C3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.01%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.39%

Watched Threads