The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Amz_1
are you serious hahaha i think your joking LOL.. i think its time for the both of us to get off tsr and EATT =] IM SOO HUNGRyyy and i am gonna go do some chem synoptic shizzzleee funfunfun good luck for tomorrow bean =]

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:biggrin:
Reply 421
Artemidoros.
hahaahahah i love you, you make this thread fun :smile:

lol aha oioi lol jokin.! well i love you too my fellow tsr friend :smile: good luck for tmozaa!!
Reply 422
Waterstorm
Yeah, that stuff. I've seen it before, and it's been asked about 3/4 times in the last 5 or so pages. It's just for integrating things like what I posted earlier, unless you're allright with using a different way.

Well, like I said I have no recollection of using that. I have done all the past papers since what? 2003 or something, so I'm not quite sure where this confusion is coming from! I'm fairly sure Edexcel don't do that sort of thing but hey! It's not that big a deal.

I expect it is something in a Solomon paper, are they supposed to cater for every board in the one set of papers, or do they do board specific papers?
Reply 423
Amz_1
are you serious hahaha i think your joking LOL.. i think its time for the both of us to get off tsr and EATT =] IM SOO HUNGRyyy and i am gonna go do some chem synoptic shizzzleee funfunfun good luck for tomorrow bean =]

Yes, I'm serious, come back again soon please =)
Reply 424
My Alt
Well, like I said I have no recollection of using that. I have done all the past papers since what? 2003 or something, so I'm not quite sure where this confusion is coming from! I'm fairly sure Edexcel don't do that sort of thing but hey! It's not that big a deal.

I expect it is something in a Solomon paper, are they supposed to cater for every board in the one set of papers, or do they do board specific papers?

you need it for stuff like integrating sin(^2) x

adn things that cannot b integrated i dint know until yday
Tommorow decides my future... Good luck everyone. Although im sure you wont need it :P
Reply 426
Amz_1
you need it for stuff like integrating sin(^2) x

adn things that cannot b integrated i dint know until yday

For integrating sin2xsin^2x, you use sin2x=12(1cos2x)sin^2x = \frac{1}{2}(1-cos2x)
My Alt

They have board specific papers.

And it's something that requires C3 knowledge, so it's not something that's completely new.
Reply 428
My Alt
No, I really wish I had done FP3 and M3 at least, it would have helped me so much with STEP. Also, those modules seem so exciting and interesting compared to S1, S2, D1 and D2, but I guess that's what I get for going to my school for A-Levels, not the 6th Form college. That said, the modules I did took will no doubt end up useful at some point later in my life, so I shouldn't complain that much.

And since when has extra maths not been awesome? Some people are silly...

Totally agree with you...D1 and S1 were not fun...i never took Further Maths, but wish I had, then I could of done M5, would of been so exciting!
My sixth Form never offered M1 because they didn't have a teacher qualified, they basically said to me when I protested about doing D1 that I wouldn't get a grade that will "compliment my studies" so I thought, fluff that and deferred my uni entry and proved them all wrong. Lets just say, they were surprised and now they are teaching M1 instead of D1 and the overall maths grades for our college has improved! So they let me do M2...felt like a lab rat but I proved them all wrong...which was satisfying :smile:

Are you doing Maths at uni?
Reply 429
Char56
Totally agree with you...D1 and S1 were not fun...i never took Further Maths, but wish I had, then I could of done M5, would of been so exciting!
My sixth Form never offered M1 because they didn't have a teacher qualified, they basically said to me when I protested about doing D1 that I wouldn't get a grade that will "compliment my studies" so I thought, fluff that and deferred my uni entry and proved them all wrong. Lets just say, they were surprised and now they are teaching M1 instead of D1 and the overall maths grades for our college has improved! So they let me do M2...felt like a lab rat but I proved them all wrong...which was satisfying :smile:

Are you doing Maths at uni?

Hopefully, if I pass STEP I will. If I don't pass I will be doing Physics with Theoretical Physics, which is still maths enough for me! And go you! At first I thought I would have to self-teach M2, but in the end they got a teacher that could do it, which was great. Are you serious that they didn't do mechanics at all, or just M1? Either way, that's really bad, and I'm glad they came round in the end!
Reply 430
Waterstorm
They have board specific papers.

And it's something that requires C3 knowledge, so it's not something that's completely new.

As I have said, I have never done a C4 or C3 paper that has required that. Either that or I've gone mad, but I haven't seen an example yet...
My Alt
As I have said, I have never done a C4 or C3 paper that has required that. Either that or I've gone mad, but I haven't seen an example yet...

You haven't done that in C3? It's just turning something like 2cos4xsin2x into sin6x - sin2x. Using the identities that you just mentioned, which was in C3.
Reply 432
Waterstorm
You haven't done that in C3? It's just turning something like 2cos4xsin2x into sin6x - sin2x. Using the identities that you just mentioned, which was in C3.

Doesn't seem to be in Edexcel C3, or at least, hasn't featured in the papers for a long time.
Reply 433
My Alt
Hopefully, if I pass STEP I will. If I don't pass I will be doing Physics with Theoretical Physics, which is still maths enough for me! And go you lol, at first I thought I would have to self-teach M2, but in the end they got a teacher that could do it. Are you serious that they didn't do mechanics at all, or just M1? Either way, that's really bad, and I'm glad they came round in the end, my god!

Good choice!

Nope, no mechanics...for those doing further Maths, they either sent them to the nearest College or changed the syllabus so they did stats and decision Maths...only one person did further maths in my year and the maths department couldnt justify the money spent on travel...so they changed the syllabus. They've employed someone from another college to come and teach mechanics now once they saw the results. Our sixth form was shocking! Was all about the money and not the quality of teaching.

Hopefully I'm doing mechanics modules alongside my uni degree, which should be interesting!
My Alt
Doesn't seem to be in Edexcel C3, or at least, hasn't featured in the papers for a long time.

I admit, I don't think I've seen them in a C3 paper for a while too, but it was done in C3. You just said the identity yourself a few posts back. It's even in the formula booklet under the C3 section.
R£SP£CT
U^2=X^2 + 4 u=sqroot(X^2 + 4)

differentiate U^2=X^2 + 4

2udu/dx= 2x
2udu=2xdx
udu=xdx
dx=udu/x

f Sqrt(X^2 + 4)/x dx normal equation

Substiute U and dx into normal equation to give

f U/x * udu/x

This simplifies u^2/x^2 du

change X^2= U^2 - 4

should end up with f U^2/(U^2 - 4) du

and integrate from there ^^

Thanks a bunch for ur help ... to be honest ive solved it and im actually stuck on the integration of u^2/(u^2-4) du.. im guessing i should use partial fraction ... nyway thank you soo much.. all the respect :biggrin:
omg !! finally! its a mixed fraction .. and then we use partial fractions .. and then integrate ... peaceee :biggrin:
Reply 437
Char56
Good choice!

Nope, no mechanics...for those doing further Maths, they either sent them to the nearest College or changed the syllabus so they did stats and decision Maths...only one person did further maths in my year and the maths department couldnt justify the money spent on travel...so they changed the syllabus. They've employed someone from another college to come and teach mechanics now once they saw the results. Our sixth form was shocking! Was all about the money and not the quality of teaching.

Hopefully I'm doing mechanics modules alongside my uni degree, which should be interesting!

I miss Geography (GCSE at least) I couldn't do it at A-Level because of the whole timetable issue, so I took RE instead, which was suitably interesting I guess. Oh, yeah Physical Geography totally rules over Human Geography! I can imagine Mechanics is pretty useful to you, doing that and all. And, at least your 6th Form is learning, I think I am lucky enough to have a really good 6th Form, considering it has 1000+ Key Stage 3 and 4 kids to look after, our new head of 6th is awesome and the maths department are so organised, It's refreshing to see that good students stanf dout regardless of the quality of their 6th Form, though =)

When you say alongside your degree, do you mean in the first year, or the whole time! I can imagine doing them in the first or second term would be pretty cool, If I pass I will need to do additional mechanics too, as I have only been examined in M1 and M2, and I can't say I'm determined to get M3 absolutely sorted over the summer!
Reply 438
My Alt
I have never had to use that identity in any past C4 papers, and I have never done any Solomon papers. I highly doubt you will need it, I have never learnt it or used it.

Oh, and I see you got the power thing, that's cool =)

What power thing??

OMG! I think Ive found something that defies all laws of maths. This thing Im about to say is gonna take down maths as a subject. Im saying this coz Ive worked on this for like an HOUR and i still cant see where Ive gone wrong. Well here goes:

2xln2[4(2x)1]=0 2^x ln 2 [ 4(2^x) -1 ] = 0 (1)

I WANT to know whether this is the SAME as:

12×2xln2[4(2x)1]=0 \dfrac{1}{2} \times 2^x ln 2 [ 4(2^x) -1 ] = 0 (2)

?? I think most people will say no, they aren't the same, since obviously one line has 0.5 at the front, and the rest is the same....BUT WATCH THIS:

EXPAND (1):

4xln162xln2=0 4^x ln 16 - 2^x ln 2 = 0

4x2ln42xln2=0 4^x 2ln 4 - 2^x ln 2 = 0

4xln4=2xln22 4^x ln 4 = \dfrac{ 2^x ln 2}{2}

YEH?

EXPAND (2):

4xln4=2xln224^x ln 4 = \dfrac {2^x ln 2}{2}

WTF?

I swear, if someone comes up to me saying that I missed a minus sign or something, Im gonna....we'll see.

THIS QUESTIOn is PEEING me off.

:biggrin:
Reply 439
Waterstorm
I admit, I don't think I've seen them in a C3 paper for a while too, but it was done in C3. You just said the identity yourself a few posts back. It's even in the formula booklet under the C3 section.

Yes, that always confused me, especially when we weren't taught it! The only reason I have looked at them is because they have come in useful a couple of times in STEP, mainly for helping Proof by Inductions fall out, which is why I had heard of them at all. Odd huh?

Latest

Trending

Trending