Comparing short stories help Watch

willdev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello,
Just started revising for the short stories english exam and have relised, I don't now how to actually compare the short stories. :o: . So is anyone willing to post a quick guide on how to compare them? Or maybe link me to a help sheet?

The short stories are from the book "opening worlds" and im studying all the short stories after pieces of sliver.

Thanks!
Yearforever
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LOLLLLLLL You've already done short stories because that was on section A of the english lit exam!
willdev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yearforever)
LOLLLLLLL You've already done short stories because that was on section A of the english lit exam!
No, I did empire of the sun, war poems and death of a salesman for the english lit exam. Im talking about english language exam and I know that these stories come up in it.
Yearforever
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by willdev)
No, I did empire of the sun, war poems and death of a salesman for the english lit exam. Im talking about english language exam and I know that these stories come up in it.
Are you on AQA Spec A?
willdev
Rep:
?
Are you on AQA Spec A?
Nope, OCR
hallix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wrong. OP on the hand, a fellow OCR englisherr, how did you find literature? (i really should make a thread about this) and you don't need to compare them... common misconception...because others in the exam do stories such as things fall apart and the old man and the sea or something which are single books.

So don't worry, treat them separately, focus on the language, focus on the question and do NOT retell the story
willdev
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallix)
Wrong. OP on the hand, a fellow OCR englisherr, how did you find literature? (i really should make a thread about this) and you don't need to compare them... common misconception...because others in the exam do stories such as things fall apart and the old man and the sea or something which are single books.

So don't worry, treat them separately, focus on the language, focus on the question and do NOT retell the story
Alright, thanks .
The literature was okay; death of a salesman, struggled to relate to the question (passage), poems (hero and desterter), really like'd the choice of poems and question, empire of the sun (passage), found it tough, didn't finish it!

You?
hallix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by willdev)
Alright, thanks .
The literature was okay; death of a salesman, struggled to relate to the question (passage), poems (hero and desterter), really like'd the choice of poems and question, empire of the sun (passage), found it tough, didn't finish it!

You?
I had already done DOAS in january, and this year i did some weird "touched with fire" anthology, which was okay i guess, they had asked the same question in 200and* i don't know when exactly, so one of my points was just expanded from the mark scheme. The stories were quite a bit harder, just thinking of what to write is annoying, i did the twelve "****" short stories but i guess in the end i made some okay points. I think i've got an A, whether or not, its the elusive A* is undecided.

what is your cw like?
willdev
Rep:
?
Ah, was it some sort of modular course then?

Got a B in my coursework, not sure about speaking and listening although I think it's a B. I doubt ive got a A for my lit exam as I feel that I rushed it, so I think i've got a B/C overall .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.12%
No - but I will (32)
6.2%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise