The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It was for this reason that they allowed the mistake. It was that common. Don't fear, most of the people I knew (including me) made it.
jas0nuk
Lord jayshah

:hubba:

jas0nuk
I know you know a lot about mark schemes, maybe you can set my mind at rest about this: I have recalled one error that I made in the quadratic on q8. When solving,
Unparseable latex formula:

\[[br]\begin{array}{l}[br] t + \sqrt 3 = \sqrt 4 \\ [br] t + \sqrt 3 = \pm 2 \\ [br] \end{array}[br]\][br]

Instead of writing the correct solutions
t=23,23t = 2 - \sqrt 3 , - 2 - \sqrt 3 \\
I did something retarded and finished off with
[br]t=23,2+3[br]tan15<(2+3)[br].:tan15=23\begin{array}{l}[br] t = 2 - \sqrt 3 ,2 + \sqrt 3 \\ [br] \tan 15 < (2 + \sqrt 3 ) \\ [br] .:\tan 15 = 2 - \sqrt 3 \\ \end{array}

When I said tan 15 < ... that was based on the calculator value. Is that even sufficient to justify the solution I took?

I know I'll lose a mark for the wrong alternative solution, but what about the rest?

Let's have a look.

Going to be honest, everything before "I did something retarded and finished off with" confuses me. Doesn't matter, as the line under is what matters, and you got there.

Now, you've stated:

tan15<(2+3)\tan 15 < (2 + \sqrt 3 )

Which is mathematically sound. I put "However, only tan1(23)=15\tan ^{-1} (2 - \sqrt{3}) = 15 (or something to that effect), so the solution is tan15=23\tan 15 = 2 - \sqrt 3".

What you've said is fine. It said neither "without a calculator", "explain your reasoning carefully" nor anything that would imply this. It was more about obtaining a surd form for tan15\tan 15, which you did elegantly and fine. You will not be debited any marks (unless, you've said something mathematically unsound, I haven't noticed and I'm so tired I probably won't until you point it out :p:).

4 marks:
M1 - Solve quadratic
A1 - Find only valid root
M1 - 2π<...2 \pi < ...
E1 - Final solution (*, answer given).

Hope that helps.
Reply 421
Ahh, thanks.

What I meant about being retarded was,

From the quadratic, if you complete the square and sq.root both sides, you end up with
t+3=4t + \sqrt 3 = \sqrt 4
which, if I think about it, could actually have 4 solutions
t±3=±2t \pm \sqrt 3 = \pm 2

But anyway, as said the only one which is correct is 232 - \sqrt 3 and I got the right one in the end. :biggrin:
jas0nuk
Ahh, thanks.

What I meant about being retarded was,

From the quadratic, if you complete the square and sq.root both sides, you end up with
t+3=4t + \sqrt 3 = \sqrt 4
which, if I think about it, could actually have 4 solutions
t±3=±2t \pm \sqrt 3 = \pm 2

But anyway, as said the only one which is correct is 232 - \sqrt 3 and I got the right one in the end. :biggrin:

Completing the square; interesting way to go about it.

I see what you mean now, but then again, I don't think they pay all that much notice to be honest. I think, at this level, ±3\pm \sqrt{3} can be substituted (without being penalised) for 3\sqrt{3}, but perhaps anything above would have repercussions (i.e. AEA/Step+).

We'll just have to wait until August :smile:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah failed.
sinesquared.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah failed.

If it makes you feel any better, I was going to sign-up again with the username of "1-cossquared" and say we can go together :redface:

:getmecoat:
Reply 425
Don't think I've done well tbh
Was anyone else not gutted by the fact there was no binomial expansion question? They are the only questions i can ever count on to be good! haha
Martazz
Don't think I've done well tbh
Was anyone else not gutted by the fact there was no binomial expansion question? They are the only questions i can ever count on to be good! haha

Uhum yes, and the completely lack of depth of Differential Equations. I did an entire DE module, for what? Nothing :sigh:
Reply 427
I reckon they'll realise that this paper had way too much trig and not enough binomial expansion/DE.
jas0nuk
I reckon they'll realise that this paper had way too much trig and not enough binomial expansion/DE.

While this is true, this is simply the synoptic nature of C4. I :live: trig, anyway :smile:
Reply 429
jayshah31
Completing the square; interesting way to go about it.

I see what you mean now, but then again, I don't think they pay all that much notice to be honest. I think, at this level, ±3\pm \sqrt{3} can be substituted (without being penalised) for 3\sqrt{3}, but perhaps anything above would have repercussions (i.e. AEA/Step+).

We'll just have to wait until August :smile:

It was BEGGING to have its square completed! By far the easiest way to do it.
Bezzler
It was BEGGING to have its square completed! By far the easiest way to do it.

Not when you have a calculator that solves quadratics :p:
jayshah31
If it makes you feel any better, I was going to sign-up again with the username of "1-cossquared" and say we can go together :redface:

:getmecoat:

haha that cheered me up after the C3 exam today.
:biggrin:
sinesquared.
haha that cheered me up after the C3 exam today.
:biggrin:

Why couldn't you have posted this in the morning?!?!?!?!

I needed cosx\cos x in terms of sinx\sin x for FP2, and I totally didn't think of that. Had you posted this, I would have chucked to myself I need to get back to TSR to reply :blushing:

But I'm glad it did :proud:

Sorry for my rant :sigh:
jayshah31
Why couldn't you have posted this in the morning?!?!?!?!

I needed cosx\cos x in terms of sinx\sin x for FP2, and I totally didn't think of that. Had you posted this, I would have chucked to myself I need to get back to TSR to reply :blushing:

But I'm glad it did :proud:

Sorry for my rant :sigh:

I feel as if i have let you down..

Hope this makes up for it..
:lovehug:
sinesquared.
I feel as if i have let you down..

Hope this makes up for it..
:lovehug:

You did :sad:

But it does :hubba:

Sorry if I made you feel guity...

:jumphug:

:smile:
Reply 435
hopefully grade boundries are not as high as the june 08 jan 08 and 09 papers.

Latest

Trending

Trending