Working smart, not hard? Watch

Avacadro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey

Well I cannot understand the mentality of working 7-8 hrs a day, especially for GCSE'S.

I mean fine, if you want to cover the content then go ahead, but surely just doing papers upon papers, and looking at the mark scheme would suffice? (if not be a better methof of revision).

I know people want to do well, and I am putting in 3-4 hrs, but I just feel that people doing in excess of 7 hours will just burn out.

Your opinions?
supercoolfred
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes over 5 hours is silly.
lovcullen
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Avacadro)
Hey

Well I cannot understand the mentality of working 7-8 hrs a day, especially for GCSE'S.

I mean fine, if you want to cover the content then go ahead, but surely just doing papers upon papers, and looking at the mark scheme would suffice? (if not be a better methof of revision).

I know people want to do well, and I am putting in 3-4 hrs, but I just feel that people doing in excess of 7 hours will just burn out.

Your opinions?
i'm in year 9 so i don't really worry about GCSEs now//
but, if i'm studying for GCSEs, i would do 7-8hours a day.. i mean, it's important,isn't it ?
Just spend 7-8 hours and your future's set.
wouldn't u feel more comfortable after hard work?
especially when results come out//

Just my opinion ...
Jeppaloth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lovcullen)
but, if i'm studying for GCSEs, i would do 7-8hours a day.. i mean, it's important,isn't it ?

Just my opinion ...
Meh it gets tedious.
<3 biology!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It really does. :/
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Just my opinion ...
If that attitude remains intact you should go far.
Acta Non Verba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I want to feel as if I have done the best I can. I have 12 weeks to piss around in, but for now, I want to work as hard as I can so I can feel happy with whatever I get on results day.
Hibz123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree over 5 hours is just unnecessary and absurd.
Original?
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doing over five hours is better than doing less than five minutes. The best thing you can do is judge it for yourself, everyone is different.
mfc20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
3-4 hours done well is enough, over 5 hours is ******* stupid, no one ever needs to revise that much, you are an idiot if you do, and will do yourself more harm than good.
hallix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Just my opinion ...
This.

I think you'll find that the majority don't want to admit to the amount they have done, i've PM'd quite a few students like i said before and they told me to ignore the general tsr rabble who lie about how much work they are doing and just get your head down.

The purpose of this thread really is just to make you feel that you are doing enough, when you really shouldn't need the support of random people off the internet. you should do your work UNTIL you feel like you've done the best you can. I'm not saying you should revise for absurdly long but just don't stop revising because you think that going past *this time* is just silly. Just revise until you can't take more stuff in...its only for like 2/3 weeks before we finish why not?
Whatever210
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People can revise how much they want to, some people may feel comfortable with 2-3 hours a day whereas others may like to put 7 hours to make sure they have covered everything they want to. I don't understand why it bothers people how many hours other people revise, everybody's different.
mammamia:0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I personally initially started to do 4 hours a night, after a full school day! This led to me as you say burning out and becoming exhausted! Anywork I did ended up being completely ineffective.
Now I do about 5 hours a day at weekends and during study leave and when I go into school I wont do more than 2 hours a night even if I have an exam the next day!
So yes theres only so hard you can work!
kaliedoscope
Report 9 years ago
I agree, it depends person to person.
I can pick up stuff relatively quickly (but it can vary subject to subject) but some of my friends etc. need to go over things more thoroughly.
alexlemon2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All depends on how easily you can remember things and also how effectively you revise. I would say seven hours just flicking through a book is far less effective than getting your head down and doing a solid hour of note taking, a past paper, etc. People who say they are doing seven hours are probably on facebook for the majority of the time!
englishman129
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Avacadro)
Hey

Your opinions?
I agree :P
Art_Brut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dont know why youd want to do that much for gcses.
I did about an hour a day and got 4A* 5As and 2Bs
Of course, if I worked a little harder I would've gotten eleven A*s - but in the end it didn't matter, I still got great offers.
jackmb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't think that I've ever needed to study for more than five hours a day. If I had that much to do I would have started revising earlier.
MrGumby
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Just my opinion ...
7-8 hours of work does not equal good grades. It is the quality of the work you put in and understanding of the exam technique...so doing past papers. Working 7-8 hours a day because you think that is the best way to get results is a bit silly tbh. I'm doing my A levels and I do about 2 hours of work a day...but all that I do is taken in, easily remembered and can be transferred onto the exam.

If I did 5+ hours a day it would cover the content at such a pace that I would be taking too much in than is necessary for the exams tbh. If your going to revise, don't try and comfort yourself with quantity, but ensure you cover the content and are able to transfer it to exams.
Avacadro
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by englishman129)
I agree :P
LMAO aha yeah I know you do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads