Little advice anyone? =D Watch

Lucy_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Heyy everyone i'm new here =)

*warning: long post!*

i was just wondering what else i need to do, in terms of work experience, to boost my chances to get into a Vet course. i think i may have a busy summer ahead of me!

ok i'm in year 11 now and i've done a week work experience at a vet surgery
i've worked in a riding school for 3 years
i'm currently working on a private livery yard (stables)
i have an interview with the dogs trust the middle of next month.

i'm planning on going to a farm but how many/ how long and where would be the best to go to? there is an urban farm near me who accept work experience but they are sort of a 'petting zoo' where children go out for the day.

for a-levels im taking chem, bio, physics, philosophy and ethics and photography as my chill-out course. what grades did you get and do you think they are as important as the experience??

thanks for reading/replying =D

Lucy.
x_Bex_x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello and welcome, you've come to the right place for advice, most of your questions will be answered in the following thread, if you go to the last pages the final draft if there, so take a wee look and if you have any further question or just want to chat stick around.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=832799
Lucy_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
so sorry!! thanks alot =)
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no worries just saves us re typing everything
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have to do some dirty farm work or your chances are minimal

Petting farm places won't be as good as

Dairy
Pigs (indoors or outdoors)
Lambing
Calving
Beef
Poultry
Goat dairy

Do some of the above. You dont have to do all.

Basically places where there are hundreds of the same animal, and you get quite dirty and smelly. Too many apply with like SA practice, years of riding experience and kennels. Too cushy, gotta do the farm stuff.

Hope that helps
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lucy_x)
ok i'm in year 11 now and i've done a week work experience at a vet surgery
i've worked in a riding school for 3 years
i'm currently working on a private livery yard (stables)
i have an interview with the dogs trust the middle of next month.

i'm planning on going to a farm but how many/ how long and where would be the best to go to? there is an urban farm near me who accept work experience but they are sort of a 'petting zoo' where children go out for the day.
Your need a couple of weeks dairy and/or lambing, it is really something the admissions tutors look for.

It says a lot more about yourself, being dedicated enough to work unsociable hours, get really mucky, it's physical and sometimes stressful work, etc.

City farms are quite good in a sense that they have a wide range of animals so it's possible to build a pretty extensive background knowledge. Personally I did several weeks at a city farm before applying (spread out over a couple of years) and it really interested my interviewers, it gave them the chance to ask about veterinary public health, zoonoses, etc.

(Original post by Lucy_x)
for a-levels im taking chem, bio, physics, philosophy and ethics and photography as my chill-out course. what grades did you get and do you think they are as important as the experience??
AAA, Chem, Bio, Physics, As/Bs in the rest. That is your average offer, if you're lucky (ie; your impress them), they may lower your offer.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i got interviews after just going to public/city farms but found that i would have been able to answer several questions better if i had done dairy or lambing or something
fairy princess
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say that variety is important too. It's better to have a few days here and there of lots of different things than say just 2 weeks at the same place.

I'm not sure 2 weeks on the same farm is really necessary at your stage, unless you are super keen or simply trying to boost your total number of weeks for admissions (liverpool want 10 weeks).

When I applied I think my farm work consisted of about 3 days of lambing, and 3 days dairy. None of the unis seemed that bothered at interview. Not that i'm trying to discourage people from work experience lol.....
nellied
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fairy princess)
I would say that variety is important too. It's better to have a few days here and there of lots of different things than say just 2 weeks at the same place.

I'm not sure 2 weeks on the same farm is really necessary at your stage, unless you are super keen or simply trying to boost your total number of weeks for admissions (liverpool want 10 weeks).

When I applied I think my farm work consisted of about 3 days of lambing, and 3 days dairy. None of the unis seemed that bothered at interview. Not that i'm trying to discourage people from work experience lol.....
I would make sure you do some lambing even if its only for a fews days rather than a big block placement and dairy is almost a must although again itdoesn't have to be really long but a week would be good.

Zoo placements add variety but you need to be able to show you've learnt something useful from it rather than just having a good time but they can be harder to come by. You've already got your equine sorted, and hopefully your kennels.... a long term placement is good so keep that up they like to see that you can stick at something....

make sure you have seen vets in each disipline of SA Farm and Equine - although you need at least 4 weeks overall as a min shadowing vets it doesn't matter if you only have say 1 week with farm and more with the others as long as you've expeirnced all sides of the jobs.

The basic outline of what people apply with and admission tutors expect to see are dariy lambing stables kennels/cattery

additional placements are beneficial to give your application a better alroundness and potentilly have it stand out from the crowd re work ex are pigs and poultry and a trip to an abbatoir

echo previous posts that unis don't want to see you having done weeks and weeks if you can't condense it and say what you've learnt from it and how and why this helps you understand the veterinary profession better
e.g. dairy - the importance of herd health and mangement in relation to maximising production etc.

keep a case book for all your work ex of things you've done and everything you've seen that you thought was significant because beleive me you won't be able to rememeber it when you come to write your personal statement even if you could remember it all 2 secs before you started typign and the same with the interviews.

As for volume i would use liverpool's requirements as a guide to establish a minimum as they have the toughest regs for work ex and what they want to see and it sets a good base to work on.
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah use Liverpool's minimum as a definite minimum.

But it's worth noting that you may well get into Cambridge with not as much farm work as other unis may demand. I think it also says in their prospectus that they only want 2 weeks or something crazy. Obviously this won't suffice, but you may get away with less there, but you'd then have to make that up with great BMAT and a very academic record of high grades type thing, or from what I've heard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise