The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup! No idea what could be in it though, hopefully nothing too nasty in Section C since its new.

How is everyone feeling for it?
Reply 2
sjames06
Yup! No idea what could be in it though, hopefully nothing too nasty in Section C since its new.

How is everyone feeling for it?

I'm okkkay. There's not much you can do in the way of revision for it, is there?
Section C? Yes, there's loads that could be in it, and there's load of revision you can do for it. Our teachers told us, basically anything that you did in your studies, could come up. So we have a nice revision booklet made up of stuff taken from our studies.

I haven't done any revision though. Worried about Section A a bit as i never write enough. Hope i can remember how to do maths for Section B. Section C should be fine.
Ok i'm not sitting it now but i sat it last year. Don't worry too much, it's only a small % of your mark :smile:. I realise this is not helpful, but yeah. Don't panic too much :smile:. Get lots of room for your big map :wink:! Good luck!
Reply 5
What did you do your study on?
I'm worried about the statistics part - I can never remember the advantages and the disadvantages of each technique.
Reply 6
Yeah I'm doing it. Not too worried about the map reading; you can pretty much relate almost everything on the map to the question in some way:p:. Stats should be ok - hope it's like an actual stats test and not mean, mode etc. Not sure what the last question will be like, hopefully quite easy.

What's everyone doing for revision? I'm just reading my notes on stats and then I might have a look at the map reading Qs we got marked.
Reply 7
klaireex
I'm okkkay. There's not much you can do in the way of revision for it, is there?

True, our revision has mostly been sitting round looking at past papers and what people have wrote from previous years and seeing what could be done to improve it, apart from that there isn't a lot that can be done to revise for it I feel.

akj08
What's everyone doing for revision? I'm just reading my notes on stats and then I might have a look at the map reading Qs we got marked.

As above, I've got a sheet on the stats stuff of why some are good and some are bad, thats about it. Over the year I did make a book of notes on stats and map work but seems a bit pointless going over it after looking at past papers.
Reply 8
I just can't wait until it's over now. It's my last exam. :biggrin:
My essay and project were rubbish, so tomorow should be fun, i need a pretty good mark (90%+) to get a grade i think.
I think i'll be lucky to get half marks. Have done **** all revision for this. Plus i think my Issue and Study were pretty good
Reply 11
Soooo what d'yall think?

Section C was a gift. I really like it except i said "the device which records noise levels" Lol!

Section A - I did question 2. Then re did it using the correct over lay. Because I am a spoon.

Section B - Did the spearmans but part e) (the nine marker) was haaard so freaked out and at the end had a spare 15 mins so rushed the questionaire question in the hope they just give me the best mark. lol i would have been better to just the the questionaire one from the start.

What questions did you all do?
Reply 12
I thought it was pretty good, we all predicted that a Spearmans would come up and it did.

Section A - the conservation reserve
Section B - Spearmans

I found section C pretty good, got as much as i knew written down. Just have to wait and see.
Reply 13
Yeah the explain bit of the spearman's was weird...i waffled on about 'unsavory drinking water' haha and people moving away cos farming wasn't lucrative because plants were destrityed. lol:p:

The last question was good, but I ran out of time so didn't write much about data collection apart from like systematic and take averages of noise levels recorded. Said you'd have to record sources of noise e.g. by land use map for the second bit.

Did question 1 for the map interpretation, though looking at it now the second one would have been a lot easier. Oh well:rolleyes:
Reply 14
Nah, Chi Square was far more likely to come than Spearman's. Chi Square hasn't properly been in since 2002. Easy calculation tho and justifcation. Agree that the reasons behind it was difficult, thought it was poorly expressed and wasn't overly sure what the result showed. Regretted not doing the questionnaire question tbh, looked so easy and involved no calculation.

I choose siting of nature reserve for section A. Brought string with me to accurately draw on the 16 km long perimeter of the reserve. Thought the bird watching question was a bit stupid. It almost required us to have knowledge on the habitats of different birds.

Thought Section C was easy tho wasn't sure about the last question about the reasons behind the "wide variations in decibel levels at 3." What did everyone else put? Said a microphone attached to a computer device could be used to measure the sound.
Reply 15
jimsmit
Nah, Chi Square was far more likely to come than Spearman's. Chi Square hasn't properly been in since 2002. Easy calculation tho and justifcation. Agree that the reasons behind it was difficult, thought it was poorly expressed and wasn't overly sure what the result showed. Regretted not doing the questionnaire question tbh, looked so easy and involved no calculation.

I choose siting of nature reserve for section A. Brought string with me to accurately draw on the 16 km long perimeter of the reserve. Thought the bird watching question was a bit stupid. It almost required us to have knowledge on the habitats of different birds.

Thought Section C was easy tho wasn't sure about the last question about the reasons behind the "wide variations in decibel levels at 3." What did everyone else put? Said a microphone attached to a computer device could be used to measure the sound.

Wasn't it one sq.km?
Yeah I didn't get the bird watching one - I was like 'coniferous woodland allows the habitats to be investigated' and 'the effect of the road on the birds could be investigated'. Very random, but I couldn't think of much else to say:p:

For the wide variation at 3, I said cos it was residential it would be generally quiet but a car passing/group of people might cause temporary noise. There was a railway running through as well which would have caused infrequent noises as trains go past.
Reply 16
Yeah sorry i meant 16cm not km. 16km = 4 kilometres.
Yeah haha i chose the woodland area for "birds such as woodpeckers" and an upland area for "birds such as buzzards." I tied it in with the proximity to footpaths and accessibility.

Why were the roads around the point 3 of section c with dashed lines?
Reply 17
jimsmit
Yeah sorry i meant 16cm not km. 16km = 4 kilometres.
Yeah haha i chose the woodland area for "birds such as woodpeckers" and an upland area for "birds such as buzzards." I tied it in with the proximity to footpaths and accessibility.

Why were the roads around the point 3 of section c with dashed lines?

But wasn't 4cm=1km? Oh god I hope I haven't done the scale completely wrong.
Reply 18
Yeah 4 cm = 1km. The nature reserve had to be 1km squared so the total perimeter for it was:
4cm x 4 (for each side of the square) = 16cm.
If you just chose a 1km square box then it was fine.
I just overcomplicated it :P
Reply 19
jimsmit
Yeah 4 cm = 1km. The nature reserve had to be 1km squared so the total perimeter for it was:
4km x 4cm (for each side of the square) = 16cm.
If you just chose a 1km square box then it was fine.
I just overcomplicated it :P

Ah right good that's a relief! Mine was quite random anyway, not exactly 1km^3, curved shape to avoid flooding roads and houses:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending