C2 Binomial. Is there an alternative way to work this out? Watch

loveisjustasong
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Find p in (1-2x)^p. I know how to work this out using the 1 + n(n-1)/2 etc. formula but is there a different way? For example, if they asked you to work out (3-2x)^p , how would you about doing that? Would they ask you questions like this or will they just stick to questions with 1 being the first number?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If p is an integer (which it always will be in C2), there's no reason you can't use the same sort of formula - it's given in the formula book, if I remember rightly. And no, there isn't really another way of doing it other than actually multiplying out all the brackets.

(If p is not an integer, just factorise it into 3^p (1 - \frac{2}{3}x)^p, and expand binomially from there. But you won't meet this till C4!)
gman2k8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
If p is an integer (which it always will be in C2), there's no reason you can't use the same sort of formula - it's given in the formula book, if I remember rightly. And no, there isn't really another way of doing it other than actually multiplying out all the brackets.

(If p is not an integer, just factorise it into 3^p (1 - \frac{2}{3}x)^p, and expand binomially from there. But you won't meet this till C4!)
Yhyh you just have to change that first number in the bracket to 1, its in the C2 book but in little detail and its way easier to do it the other way anyways.
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What page?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
What page?
I have no idea. I don't know what your exam board is or what its formula book looks like, but I imagine it'll be on the C2 page.
gman2k8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
What page?
If you got the Heinemann Green Edexcel book then its page 79 the last thing in that summary box.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads