What minimum GCSE grades does one need to get into Oxford? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bright.Inspiration.
Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I know that a-level results are most important .. but gcse grades are important too ...
i've heard that you should have all A*'s to have a good chance of getting into oxford - is this true?
anyone got any information..?
Colonel.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
5 A*s
and no more than 1 B
MathsHamster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not really. All A*s looks impressive but if you don't follow through at A level you're not going to get in. You'd want about 6-7 As and A*s, but even if you only get a few, it's not going to ruin your chances completely.
lyrical_lie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We were told 5As at higher 3 being band 1s... dunno what the equiv is. x
MrCynical
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are no specific minimum GCSE grades required for Oxford. You certainly don't need straight A*s, or even straight A*s and As. A couple of Bs in non-relevant subjects aren't a barrier. I can think of a few people who got in with only a couple of A*s.

It will vary a bit from subject to subject, and obviously straight A*s look good if you can get them.
roubiliac
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
MrCynical
Spot on.
Andy the Anarchist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MrCynical)
There are no specific minimum GCSE grades required for Oxford. You certainly don't need straight A*s, or even straight A*s and As. A couple of Bs in non-relevant subjects aren't a barrier. I can think of a few people who got in with only a couple of A*s.

It will vary a bit from subject to subject, and obviously straight A*s look good if you can get them.
This :yep:
eenie_pod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One should peruse the sticky for this, at the top of the Oxbridge forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=573746
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
some people get in with none.

some with a few d's

this is always my reply lol
TomTeeTom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got A*AAAAAABBB although i did improove alot at A level when i went to a better school and did well in the admission test
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MrCynical)

I thought you needed at least Cs in Maths and English? I could be wrong though.

And OP, people who say you need x amount of A*s are talking rubbish - obviously A*s look good, but there isn't actually an amount specified. I know people with poor as grades who have got in, and people with 13A*s+ and been rejected :dontknow:
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
It's not specified, but what I say is that the better your GCSE grades are, the better for the sake of things.

Though straight As and A*s would be nice.
Bright.Inspiration.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thank you for all the help everyone =)
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Though straight As and A*s would be nice.
Of course, getting straight A*s will not guarantee you a place by any means.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
Of course, getting straight A*s will not guarantee you a place by any means.
But they would be nice.
Deipnosophist123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People have got in for competitive subjects with very poor GCSE results (comparative to what many here believe to be necessary). We're talking D grades here. So don't focus on GCSE grades
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are isn't a mininum requirement. Obviously, any university will expect good literacy and possibly numerical abilities and the best way of measuring this is by looking at English and Maths GCSE results. But it's absurd to suggest there's a minimum GCSE requirements eg. 5A* are essential and anyone below this is instantly rejected. This is not the case at all.

GCSEs have their part to play and a strong set of GCSE results will never be a disadvantage. To ensure you have the strongest application possible then of course it's best to have excellent GCSEs. But no one here can tell you how much of an emphasis is placed on them by the various departments.

No one should be put off applying to Oxford (or Cambridge) just because they only have a handful of A*s. Or even no A*s at all and very few (if any) As. Of course the majority of people who get into Oxford will have a string of A*s at GCSE level. But this is because they are amongst the very best in the country so will have shown potential at an early stage. But not everyone is able to show potential that early on. Particularly those in poor schools who students with mitigating circumstances. There are many parts of a university application, especially when applying to Oxford or Cambridge (interview if you reach that stage, further admissions tests if applicable alongside personal statement, A-level grades/predicted grades, subject combination and references). Please don't think there's a set minumum number of As and A*s needed.

If you have any specific queries (eg. you actually have your GCSE results and you'd like to know how strong they are by Oxbridge standards) then please see the sticky in the Oxbridge forum, "Are my GCSE/AS grades good enough for Oxbridge?"

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=573746

Otherwise, I think I'll close this thread as nothing more can be said. The original question was answered a few days ago.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads