is it too late for me? Watch

vincent_hill
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi

I'm looking for some advice in regards to having a go at fixing my life

I'm 23 without any real qualifications, All I have is 10 grade a-c in GCSE's. I was unable to complete college and unable to go university due to personal reasons. I have managed to sort out some of my problems but I feel I cannot be happy until I have a degree in something meaningful. Now I don't mean to sound big headed when I say this, I'm a pretty clever guy, I have vast knowledge about everything, be it politics, industrial, engineering, computers, business.

Is it too late for me to get into a decent uni to study something which I can base my life around and do pretty okay? I know that good qualifications are a prerequisite to getting into a good uni, but I am also aware that if you talk to a course director and if you are able to make him see that you are able to handle the course, that he/she might let you in on the course

any advice will be appreciated

regards,
Jenna_K
Report 9 years ago
you have really good gcse grades.i walked out with four good ones, went to college, and now ive just finished my degree! i would love to have ten gcses myself

no it isnt too late. its strange really because i was the youngest on my degree course (18 when i started and now 21), with most learners being mature students (over the age of 21), so going to uni later in life isnt abnormal because of all the reasons why you stated above. some people dont see the meaning of a good education until later on, or because of other reasons outside of their control in their life, they may not of been able to go when they would of liked. i think you should go for it for sure

all the best, jenn
020sophiekay
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vincent_hill)
Hi

I'm 23 without any real qualifications, All I have is 10 grade a-c in GCSE's. I was unable to complete college and unable to go university due to personal reasons. I have managed to sort out some of my problems but I feel I cannot be happy until I have a degree in something meaningful. Now I don't mean to sound big headed when I say this, I'm a pretty clever guy, I have vast knowledge about everything, be it politics, industrial, engineering, computers, business.

Is it too late for me to get into a decent uni to study something which I can base my life around and do pretty okay? I know that good qualifications are a prerequisite to getting into a good uni, but I am also aware that if you talk to a course director and if you are able to make him see that you are able to handle the course, that he/she might let you in on the course

regards,
Im not really speaking from any experience, but it kind of seems like someone like you has just as good a chance, if not better og going to uni. Because in aninterview for instance your genuine passion for whatever it is will come through as you have made an active decision to come back to uni etc,, whereas someone just out of school is kindof just following the trends or whatever

so i know thats not helpful or anything but just wanna let you know that in my opinion it is definitely not too late for you...i say go for it
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not too late. A guy at my college started college the same as you.
You could do a Foundation or Access course if it's offered. So that would be a decent way in.
Check with the uni you want to get into. If you make a contact from now, they might be able to give you advice on the best way to get in.
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Never too late, certainly not at 23, you seem to have the right attitude for studying for a degree, have you looked at access courses? My cousin did one when she was just a little younger than you. Took a genetics degree after that I believe. Go for it, I absolutely love my course and even if it was worth nothing I would have still studied for it. Best of luck!
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vincent_hill)
Hi

regards,
You will need some kind of post 16 qualification, so your first step should be to look at Access courses. Do well on one of those, and the sky's your limit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads