MazalTov89
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Link

Very sad news
MazalTov89
I really don't understand how Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Iowa can accept it, yet California (the most liberal of American states) cannot!

I blame those pesky Mormons.
The Hatman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought part of the idea of America's being founded as a constitutional republic instead of a simple democracy was to protect minorities from oppressive majorities. Guess that's been thrown out of the window, and now we have them shipping Mormon extremists in from other states in order to swing votes in their favour.

Honestly, by this point, fully-legalised gay marriage is inevitable. All they can do is delay it; in that light, it's kind of funny to sit back and watch.
Pezza18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's going to happen eventually. Why fight it.
Undiscovery
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow, what an odd country.

That said; I shouldn't generalise about US politics. This is certainly a state matter, rather than a federal one - we should be optimistic about this, if AA civil rights are anything to go by. It will happen eventually, just not immediately.
Violettes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sad indeed. That said, 50 years from now US will look back on this and wonder what they were thinking, à la slavery, lack of woman suffrage and sundry.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whilst I depise bans on gay marriage, I agree with the decision of the Court - you can't over-turn the result of a referendum on the basis of being "unconstitutional" when it clearly isn't unconstitutional, just because you disagree with it.

(Original post by MazalTov89)
I really don't understand how Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Iowa can accept it, yet California (the most liberal of American states) cannot!

I blame those pesky Mormons.
Certain areas of California have a reputation for being very liberal, but there is a strong Conservative element as well - its a really enormous state
Kohta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Violettes)
Sad indeed. That said, 50 years from now US will look back on this and wonder what they were thinking, à la slavery, woman's suffrage and sundry.
Exactly, womens suffrage was an awful idea.
MazalTov89
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Certain areas of California have a reputation for being very liberal, but there is a strong Conservative element as well - its a really enormous state
I am aware of the politics and size of the place, I just find it bizarre that this has happened in a state that has such a reputation. For a state that successfully rejected Proposition 6 in 1978 but for them to take a step backwards by approving Proposition 8, I just find it weird.
Violettes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kohta)
Exactly, womens suffrage was an awful idea.
:o:
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MazalTov89)
I am aware of the politics and size of the place, I just find it bizarre that this has happened in a state that has such a reputation. For a state that successfully rejected Proposition 6 in 1978 but for them to take a step backwards by approving Proposition 8, I just find it weird.
To be fair, California still has domestic partnerships. I'm actually quite impressed that a State in the US would have 47% odd of its people voting in favour of gay marriage when the State already has domestic partnerships. It is no more backwards than this country - we don't have gay marriage either, we have civil partnerships instead.
The Hatman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
To be fair, California still has domestic partnerships. I'm actually quite impressed that a State in the US would have 47% odd of its people voting in favour of gay marriage when the State already has domestic partnerships. It is no more backwards than this country - we don't have gay marriage either, we have civil partnerships instead.
Our civil partnerships, however, carry with them all or almost all the same benefits as marriage. That's not the case in America.
It's stupid, because if the vote was simply to give civil union the same benefits as marriage, I doubt anyone would be against it. But obviously that's far too easy.
shyopstv
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Recent polls suggest that a vote on allowing gay marriage would not pass in the UK.

Those who live in glass houses....
Neo Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They should give full rights to gay people in domestic partnership. But the tradition of marriage shouldn't be compromised. This should satisfy both parties.
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shyopstv)
Recent polls suggest that a vote on allowing gay marriage would not pass in the UK.

Those who live in glass houses....
Link for that please, i'd be interested in reading it.
Failed123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm really pissed off. Found out ages ago like, but whatever.
No, I am not gay, I care about my fellow humans and stuff, innit.
shyopstv
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
Link for that please, i'd be interested in reading it.
Eurobarometer poll carried out on behalf of the European Comission. When asked whether gay couples should have the right to marry, only 46% of Brits said yes.
Antimatter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
*****. *****. *****. *****.

And yep, that word began with a C.
Failed123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Neo Con)
They should give full rights to gay people in domestic partnership. But the tradition of marriage shouldn't be compromised. This should satisfy both parties.
No, it does not, equality means 'marriage for everyone'. Domestic Partnership please, lets all grow up and call it marriage. Tradition? Do you know anything about the history of marriage? The definition of marriage has been changing for hundreds of years. If people are going to be bigoted, please keep it to yourselves. I just don't understand how this changes the lives of us straight people in any way? If two gay guys got married somewhere we wouldn't even know about it.
fubsadoo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't understand how you can't be happy for people when they fall in love...

*has moment of disillusionment with the world*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (541)
37.73%
No - but I will (112)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (97)
6.76%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.7%

Watched Threads