The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Riseholme

Anyone at riseholme at the moment or going next year?

Just wondering what the social life's like being away from the main campus, and bit of a treck to get there. Do you get to mix with many people from Brayford in your 1st year?
And what are the halls like to live in?
Or is it worth living in brayford and traveling to riseholme for lectures.. does anyone do that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey i lived at riseholme this past year
and i shall be there again for 09
its a bit of a love hate place
i love it :biggrin: but some of them hate it
i still managed to get out normally 3 times a week
taxi's about £5 on a good night and ten on a bad i.e weekend, you have to search around for the best taxi rank
its fine if you share
we dont have an oven or hob so we are catered for which is useful if you cant cook
though they feed us at silly early hours for dinner, 4.45pm-5.45pm :eek:
but cant say the foods great though i never was too offended by it
i can only say from one side but the people who lived there get really close and there tends to be a divide or at least to start with in lectures with the people from the main campus
i would say its easier for equine students to live in with the rest it doesnt really matter as much
though people do complain of having to hang around with nothing to do between lectures and praticals and about the free buses in
there are also college kids on campus which can seem annoying at times but they're actually alright as they only trash there halls and you only really see them at dinner but i know some people who were like shocked as they hadnt realised they live on campus too
you dont get to know as many people as if you lived in brayford but i still knew loads from clubs and then there friends and then you would meet people when you're out and there friends so its not that hard to make friends from the main campus
though i would advise getting out there in freshers week as these are when you seem to make the most new friends
if you drive or make friends with cars you're not as trapped as everyone thinks, and actually my friends timed, it only takes 6 minutes by car to get to ritzys ( one of the clubs) from riseholme :biggrin:
sorry for the long answer
but basically its not for everyone but i loved it and am going back next year by choice:biggrin: :rolleyes: , also im an equine student and we have a lot more praticals and its easier as i dont drive
generally most people will say its fine for first year but in second year most wanna move out
hope that helps :smile:
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
In answer to your question, the social life is what you make it really – To go out we all just clubbed together either for taxis which are pretty good at a fiver split 4 ways or more, or one of us drives and doesn’t drink. It is a bit of a trek to get to and from brayford but the shuttle bus is alright and its free so if you don’t have a car n want to go shopping or something in the day its quite good, otherwise having your own car is a big bonus. We get to park free 24/7 on campus at riseholme and then you have no limits as to where you can go and when, though theres always someone with a car wanting someone to go places with lol.. We’ve had little to no contact with people from brayford, there is a big divide between residents and brayford peeps in lectures, though to be honest its upto the individual person whether they want to integrate themselves or stay alone really.. Saying that, getting involved in clubs and societies you meet a lot of people from brayford cos they’re all based there and there are quite a few people that live in brayford and get the shuttle to riseholme whenever they have lectures. They do have the problem of waiting around at riseholme with nothing to do between getting off and going to lecture though and again going back as well.
The halls are mediocre, the rooms are like the standard courts rooms but a little bit nicer. Then you have the shared showers and toilets and when you first arrive you cant help but be discusted but you get used to it and unless you live in brayford and have ensuite it’s the same anyway, the cleaners are meant to come everyday in the week and clean the toilets, showers, hallway and kitchen but they usually just empty the bins and clean the toilets. I loved living there though, everyone you live with, you bond with and it’s like family. We tend not to use the kitchen because its scutty and we’re catered for anyway but its alright for making cereal and sandwiches and stuff, dbynoe has her own hob so she can cook but for the rest of us its microwave meals if we’re hungry which we usually wont have cos theres perfectly good takeaways that do delivery lol and snacks are much better anyways! The food is ok, there’s nothing more to be said really, its nothing special – apart from the fishpie 
The college kids are just a nuisance, if you want to talk to them n stuff the r-bar does parties every Tuesday and you can usually find most of them there but we tend not to go cos theres much better things to be doing than hanging out with a load of drunk 16yr olds.
I think riseholme is a beautiful place and I’ve loved spending my first year there despite the many disadvantages we get to do so much more than other people. I wouldn’t live there again though simply because I’ve had that experience now and I want to go find different ones elsewhere. It all depends what you want from your time there. Also, riseholme residents are forced to move out during holidays and give back our keys, we’re allowed to leave stuff over Christmas and easter but you cant go back until ridiculous specified times the day before the start of the new term, we were also forced to move out completely the morning after our last exam this summer, whereas residents at brayford are contracted to have theirs until the end of june. I’d have liked a good month extra to party to be honest but what can u do!

PS. Al, its flickaa lol, i forgot my login stuff so i made a new one! LOVE! xx
Reply 3
Thanks v much dbynoe and titch, your advice, v helpfull. I had put to go to brayford, but from that i'm thinking it might'v been a better idea to go to riseholme! :s-smilie: Do you know if riseholme will be full for me to ask them to change me over?

dbynoe

i would say its easier for equine students to live in with the rest it doesnt really matter as much

I'm doing bioveterinary science but loaning my horse to the uni so would need to be there to ride her atleast at the weekend aparently? That would probs mean it would be worth being there too? Will I need to be there to do anything else for her?
Ahh i hate decisions like this!!
Reply 4
love you lots flickaa you shall be missed this year!!!!
better come visit!!! we will continue to cellotape things to the wall!!!
CONDEMENTS!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 5
ooooo
whats the horses name and will look out for it!!
um to be honest owners rarely visit but they are welcome to their horses at weekends
and no its all left to us, all the mucking out feeding cleaning shoeing vets stuff is all taken care of!!!

and tictth love the mention of my plug in hob, it was amazing for tacos n pasta and BUTTERBEER

though certain people always seem to leave it in a mess, i wonder what colour its actually supposed to be?
Reply 6
Lol! That butterbeer was discusting!! Worst idea ever me thinks!

Mayah - Riseholme always has spare rooms so its upto you really, if you lived out at brayford and just travelled to see your horse at the weekends you'd either have to pay extortionate amounts in taxi fares or even worse amounts to keep a car on the main campus cos the bus doesnt run at the weekend..
Reply 7
hi, i was wondering if you any of you people that have stayed in riseholme would be able to answer a few questions for me :smile: im starting in september, im sure others will find this usefull too !

its been mentioned that there is no hob in the kitchens, is this still the case? did you just have sandwhiches/soup for lunch seeing as we get our meals cooked in the morning and evening.

if we dont get up for breakfast are we allowed to use our card to get lunch instead, or will we have to pay for it?

is there space under the bed? cause was thinking of getting one of the under bed storage things.

is there a mirror in the bedroom?

and is there a tv cable point in the bedroom?

also did many people have mini fridges in their bedrooms last year, because they mentioned about getting them when i went for the open day.

thank you, really appreciate any feedback :biggrin: xx
I was wondering if you are allowed to have friends stay over? The reason I ask is because I'll be commuting, but would love to spend the odd night with my friend who is staying at Riseholme.
Reply 9
Hiya
I am starting a course here tomorrow and was told there is a free shuttle bus from the brayford & silver street, but i was never told what times! Does anybody know?
Thanks!
Izzie
Izzie - first one is at 8:20, gets to Riseholme at 8:50... don't know the other times x
Reply 11
hey thanks for the reply¬!
is that from the brayford or silver street?
:smile:
pretty sure it's silver street. I have a timetable I think, I'll get it out later and have a look x
Reply 13
Thanks so much!
All else fails ill get the scunthorpe bus as a one off. :biggrin:
Reply 14
hey
um yeah people can stay
i think you're supposed to sign them in but we never do lol
yeah no hobs on the kitchen only a microwave, a kettle and you have to bring your own toaster, theres a small shop that sell sandwiches n stuff
i bought a plug on hob which im taking back with me next year and one girl had a george foreman which you can only use in the kitchen
if you miss breakfast thats it you cant transfer the money for dinner or use it for the canteen at lunch, though at weekends its brunch instead of breakfast which is from half ten till like 12ish which means you get a bit of a lie in
yeah theres loads of room under the bed :-)
and theres quite a big mirror behind the sink in your room but thats it and its not full length
no tv points though and you only get signal in harvey 2 really, online tv players have never seemed so good!!

most people had mini fridges last year including me apparently years before there was issues about them but they never mentioned anything last year so they must be acceptable now

cant wait to get back on sunday
anyone got there room numbers n stuff yet?
Reply 15
thank you very much :smile: no havent got my room number through yet..should get it within the next few days then can start finding who im living with!
i think i might take my tv anyway cause i have a wire to plug my laptop into it, so i can watch online tv players through it and itll be on a bigger screen :smile:

thank you, has been helpful :biggrin: xx
izzie89
Thanks so much!
All else fails ill get the scunthorpe bus as a one off. :biggrin:

No problem! I'll be catching it from 21st.

Does the Scunthorpe bus go right past Riseholme?
Reply 17
apparantly yes, it turns in and then goes out again, from the a15 side. think you just have to walk over from the opposite side.
izzie89
apparantly yes, it turns in and then goes out again, from the a15 side. think you just have to walk over from the opposite side.

NBrilliant, Thanx Izzie!!
does the shuttle service only go from brayford to riseholme as i heard it picks you from the high steet as well?

Latest