The Student Room Group

Sat Nav took us the wrong way and nearly killed us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would not believe it, a Navman S30 sat nav took us the wrong way yesterday. We were only goin to place in Birmingham about 10 miles away, we never been there and so we used the sat nav. We typed in the road name and it gave the correct name, however it took us to the aston expressway and lead us into the motorway going to London. We suddenly realised that hold on we cannot be goin into the motorway towards London. We couldn't turn back!!! Then the sat nav lost connection and failed to give directions and we had to get off next exit miles away. After that it nearly killed us sending us through a dual carriage way, the WRONG way where cars were facing us!!!!!
Discuss!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What did you do to the SatNav afterwards?
Reply 2
Satnav is NOT a replacement for intelligence or common sense.
Reply 3
00N
You would not believe it, a Navman S30 sat nav took us the wrong way yesterday. We were only goin to place in Birmingham about 10 miles away, we never been there and so we used the sat nav. We typed in the road name and it gave the correct name, however it took us to the aston expressway and lead us into the motorway going to London. We suddenly realised that hold on we cannot be goin into the motorway towards London. We couldn't turn back!!! Then the sat nav lost connection and failed to give directions and we had to get off next exit miles away. After that it nearly killed us sending us through a dual carriage way, the WRONG way where cars were facing us!!!!!
Discuss!!!!!

THAT'LL teach you for not buying a TomTom!
I think you are suposed to look at the road whilst using one; but other than that it sounds broken :yep:
Reply 5
Common sense > Satnav

Satnavs don't kill people, stupid people kill themselves.
How is it the sat navs fault if you turn on to a road knowing that you are on the right hand side of the road?
tomtom ftw

the driver should have been looking at signs etc and should have peeked at the route in advanced
glad you're all safe and sound though
00N
After that it nearly killed us sending us through a dual carriage way, the WRONG way where cars were facing us!!!!!
Discuss!!!!!

I think you'll find that your driver did that. If I were you I'd find one that is competent and get him or her to check out the satnav.
Reply 9
Navman..........

Enough said.
tomtom. must agree.

my other comment is: :woo:
Did the Satnav turn the wheel and push the gas pedal too? If it did, you should take it to court.
Reply 12
my satnav took me down a one way street in worcester the wrong way... i was not to know as i had never been down the road before and there no signs beforehand warning a left hand only turn ahead
I'm sorry, but you can't actually blame that all on the Satnav - you should take your own map, and use some bloody common sense. It's fairly obvious if you turn onto a dual carriageway the wrong way, even before you've done it ¬_¬
my sense of direction is apaulling and I use a Satnav to if i'm going anywhere thats more than 15 miles from my home, but i've never been stupid enough to drive through a dual carraigeway!!
If you are stupid enough to do this then you shouldn't be on the roads.
Reply 15
Use Sat Nav as a tool to assist you. Read the stories about people who turned left into a river because their Sat Nav told them to. If you didn't know where you were going, perhaps you should have looked at a map, road signs and checked your sat nav route in advance.

Your sheer lack of common sense led you the wrong way on a dual carriage way and you put innocent lives at risk. Sheer stupidity to actually do this by the way.
Swift one....
There comes a time when common sense should prevail.

This is one of those times.
That's why Sat Navs are a waste of £200, when you could just look at a map before hand :p:
Reply 19
Lol, did you not notice that you were going onto the motorway before you turned onto the slip road. Generally they're pretty well sign posted.

Latest

Trending

Trending