The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Joluk
The North Korean army far outmatches the Iraqi army, if the US invaded, they'd be faced with millions of angry brainwashed suicidal Korean soldiers.

isnt that why god invented nuclear icbms? :biggrin:
Iraq never had WMD while DPRK has it. That's what should save the day for DPRK.
Renal
Iran has no resources worth fighting over.
Iran is half the world away.
Iran has a functional military.
Iran has powerful friends.
Nobody has the resources to do anything about it.

Compare and contrast...

Nobody is saying that we should intervene militarily with Iran.
Reply 23
ajp100688
To all those stating that North Korea has the fifth largest army in the world, that is true but Iraq had the world's four largest army during the Gulf War and a fat load of good that did it. It's hard to really tell how the North Korean army would react to an invasion, it could be a paper tiger like the 1990 Iraqi army, it could fight fanatically like the Japanese army of WW2 considering their similarity in indoctrination and a cult of personality or it could equally see the game is up and overthrow Kim in an attempt to make peace with the West.

North Korea is so damn unpredictable and thats what makes any diplomacy with it and any talk of war so worrying.

Indoctrination is a very good point, we have no idea quite how the ordinary soldier thinks and whether they would run easily or put up significant resistance.
Reply 24
Joluk
The North Korean army far outmatches the Iraqi army, if the US invaded, they'd be faced with millions of angry brainwashed suicidal Korean soldiers.

The fighter planes would provide really good cover and kill most of them. They would most likely disband after this and run away or face the might of our tanks and soldiers.
Reply 25
ajp100688
To all those stating that North Korea has the fifth largest army in the world, that is true but Iraq had the world's four largest army during the Gulf War and a fat load of good that did it. It's hard to really tell how the North Korean army would react to an invasion, it could be a paper tiger like the 1990 Iraqi army, it could fight fanatically like the Japanese army of WW2 considering their similarity in indoctrination and a cult of personality or it could equally see the game is up and overthrow Kim in an attempt to make peace with the West.

North Korea is so damn unpredictable and thats what makes any diplomacy with it and any talk of war so worrying.

It will be crap like the Iraqi Army. People who are under such severe government control will not fight as hard. Half of North Korea is starving pretty much, I think they would throw their uniforms off as soon as they can. The images are nothing but propaganda, during the iraq war Saddam showed a division of all women fighters and all sorts of stuff. It's all a show. As soon as we would enter, they will take their uniforms off :p:
Reply 26
ajp100688
Half of Japan was starving during the latter stages of World War Two and they still fought on like lunatics.

They loved their emperor and the way the country was governed. I don't believe north koreans will do this.
Neo Con
The fighter planes would provide really good cover and kill most of them. They would most likely disband after this and run away or face the might of our tanks and soldiers.

what makes you think they dont have fighter planes and tanks
we all know how capable are nato still fighting taliban for 8 years now
Reply 28
I'm sure Russia and China wouldn't help North Koreans to the same extent as before if America choses to invade.

But then again, China may still want to kick the Americans out of its neighbourhood, and try out some of its new military tech in the field...

Obama must consider all of this, plus I'm sure the American people aren't ready for another bloody Korean War.
Reply 29
Don_Scott
Nobody is saying that we should intervene militarily with Iran.
I know. I was both drunk and hungover when I posted that and confused myself. I humbly retract all that nonsense. Sorry.
Original post by Renal
I know. I was both drunk and hungover when I posted that and confused myself. I humbly retract all that nonsense. Sorry.

No, it doesn't

Latest

Trending

Trending