Coco.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've asked this in the thread but didn't get a reply!

I want to resign from my job at checkouts, I've been there nearly 7 months. How do you go about doing it, and how much notice must you give? Also, is holiday included in the notice?
Coco.
Rep:
?
Uhhh Nooo
Oziris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to give 4 weeks notice but when I worked there for 4 months and gave them a weeks notice because I found a new job that started pretty much immedietely. You can try doing that as well, not as though they can force you to stay.
Coco.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oziris)
You have to give 4 weeks notice but when I worked there for 4 months and gave them a weeks notice because I found a new job that started pretty much immedietely. You can try doing that as well, not as though they can force you to stay.
Ah...so i could lie
Oziris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Coco.)
Ah...so i could lie
Yeah, go for it.
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Coco.)
I've asked this in the thread but didn't get a reply!

I want to resign from my job at checkouts, I've been there nearly 7 months. How do you go about doing it, and how much notice must you give? Also, is holiday included in the notice?
If your contract doesn't specifically say (check it), then legally you should give a "reasonable period" of notice depending on your seniority. Given it's a checkout job where you've worked 7 months, 1 weeks notice should be fine.

As for holidays, they'll either make you take them in your notice period or will just pay you in-lieu.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 12 years ago
Sainsburys is 4 weeks notice if you've been employed there between 12 weeks and 12 months. If you give them less they won't give you a good reference.

If you don't mind me asking, why can't you stay for four more weeks? Why didn't you think to check the notice period before?
Coco.
Rep:
?
(Original post by FXX)
Sainsburys is 4 weeks notice if you've been employed there between 12 weeks and 12 months. If you give them less they won't give you a good reference.

If you don't mind me asking, why can't you stay for four more weeks? Why didn't you think to check the notice period before?
Because I cannot take it anymore!
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Coco.)
Because I cannot take it anymore!
And you don't want a decent reference for your next job? You'll put down that you'll have experience but won't get a reference, which will ring alarm bells, and jobs are hardly easy to come by, especially now everyone's finishing their exams for the summer. What's 4 weeks after 7 months?
munn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i know people who've worked there 2-3 years handing in a 2 week notice, that should be plenty if you're only part time
Lady_Paradox
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hello I have been on training at Sainsbury's from the 9th May to the 17th May. Then I have worked at my store from the 18th May to now and I am still on probation. I want to quit because I have selected for a placement by my uni for 3 months and that starts next week (I have been informed only yesterday). How much notice period will I have to give! I work 12 hours per week part-time! Thanks!
KentWill
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why don't you take your holidays and then resign?
Lady_Paradox
Report 12 years ago
I don't think I have earned enough holidays to take yet
Martazz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When I left my job I gave 2 weeks notice, but my manager was aware that I was intended to leave soon so it was expected and she knew she had to find a replacement. I'd say between 2/4 weeks
Lady_Paradox
Report 12 years ago
Is there any chance of negotiating for less than 2 weeks?
davireland
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KentWill)
Why don't you take your holidays and then resign?
Because then you have to pay it back because you've then taken too much holiday.
Lukely
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lady_Paradox)
Hello I have been on training at Sainsbury's from the 9th May to the 17th May. Then I have worked at my store from the 18th May to now and I am still on probation. I want to quit because I have selected for a placement by my uni for 3 months and that starts next week (I have been informed only yesterday). How much notice period will I have to give! I work 12 hours per week part-time! Thanks!
I hear that whilst still on probation, you may give 1 weeks notice? I would be tempted to suggest 4 to be on the safe side though if you can do it.
flipshot
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lukely)
I hear that whilst still on probation, you may give 1 weeks notice? I would be tempted to suggest 4 to be on the safe side though if you can do it.
Within your first 4 weeks its 1 weeks notice you need to give, unless they have changed the contract since I joined. After 4 weeks you need to give 4 weeks notice.
phil2323
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flipshot)
Within your first 4 weeks its 1 weeks notice you need to give, unless they have changed the contract since I joined. After 4 weeks you need to give 4 weeks notice.
Do you know how that works if you have just recently transfered to another store and have not yet worked 4 weeks? I have only been at my new store 2 weeks but have an interview for another job soon. If i get it i obviously dont want to have to give 4 weeks notice!
flipshot
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by phil2323)
Do you know how that works if you have just recently transfered to another store and have not yet worked 4 weeks? I have only been at my new store 2 weeks but have an interview for another job soon. If i get it i obviously dont want to have to give 4 weeks notice!
No idea, you would have to ask HR. I would have thought you would have to give 4 weeks still as I assume they didn't put you on probation again when you transfered stores.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (140)
42.42%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.82%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.18%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.52%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed