Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm studiying indigestion tablets that contain magnesium carbonate and just need to know the pH of MgCO3 - i've looked everywhere and it's a pain because i can't find it.

Please help anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolutional)
    Hello, i'm studiying indigestion tablets that contain magnesium carbonate and just need to know the pH of MgCO3 - i've looked everywhere and it's a pain because i can't find it.

Please help anyone?

I dont know for sure but its definitely alkaline so I would say around 9 or 10. Not sure if that is specific enough for you. :rolleyes:

Edit: In fact I just googled it:
    http://www.digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/material/967.html

9.5 is the answer according to thats site. Not a bad guess :p:

ReputationRep:
    thankyou
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Absolutional)
    What do you mean by pH of MgCO3 - pH of saturated solution? MgCO3 has pKso = 5.0. Assuming it didn't dissolve further once the hydrolysis removed part of the CO3(2-) (which is wrong assumption but I have no time for full equlibrium calculations at the moment) you have a solution with pH = 10.82 (and magnesium concentration 0.00316M).

Best,
    Borek
    --

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.