Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont know whether I am alone in this but it drives me nuts when people type in text language.
    Ok it has a place which is in text messages because you are trying to get in as many words as possible for your money, but I dont see the need for it in the forums.
    It makes it difficult to read and normally means that the grammar is also bad. Come on guys is it really necessary? It only takes a couple of seconds longer to type someone instead of some1 and you have instead of uve!
    Does it bug the hell out of anyone else or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I dont know whether I am alone in this but it drives me nuts when people type in text language.
    Ok it has a place which is in text messages because you are trying to get in as many words as possible for your money, but I dont see the need for it in the forums.
    It makes it difficult to read and normally means that the grammar is also bad. Come on guys is it really necessary? It only takes a couple of seconds longer to type someone instead of some1 and you have instead of uve!
    it bugs the hell out of all normal board members.

ReputationRep:
    I type like that on MSN. And in texts. Perhaps this means it's best kept to private conversation...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I hate it too, takes like an hour to decipher some simple text, that could have been written properly to save the time that they thought would be eliminated by writing in text language. Just say 'Stop' if you think I am crazy.

ReputationRep:
    i no wot u mean. the worse part iz, sum ppl cant help it and rite like it thinkin it'z cool. did u hear bout the ppl that used txt in an exam? lol

ReputationRep:
    When i text I try to keep it in proper words and sentences as much as possible but if there isn't enough room i'll put a & instead of and and 2 instead of to/two/too etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's hard to read what they write and god forbid they don't use correct text language, then you are totally lost. I admit however I do have a habit of using ppl in place of people, that's the only one though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Yeah, it's hard to read what they write and god forbid they don't use correct text language, then you are totally lost. I admit however I do have a habit of using ppl in place of people, that's the only one though.
    and honorable instead of honourable, which I noticed yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expredders)
    and honorable instead of honourable, which I noticed yesterday.
    What do you expect, I'm from america. :eek:

Do people know you are morphing their pics together to use on your profile?

ReputationRep:
    You are not alone, i cant stand it

ReputationRep:
    I agree to an extent but I don't think there is anything wrong with words like 'wot' and 'u'. Seems to make more sense and I suspect before too long words like that may be added into the dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    ye it annoys me 2. i h8 it wen ppl use that txt language.

lol. only jokin. the wit was overflowing in that post </sarcasm>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I agree to an extent but I don't think there is anything wrong with words like 'wot' and 'u'. Seems to make more sense and I suspect before too long words like that may be added into the dictionary.
    Why would they be put in the dictionary? Is it a text talk dictionary?
    How hard is to type what instead of wot? I think text talk has it's place in text messaging not on a forum. A word here and there isn't bad but sentence after sentence and you want to get out the special decoder ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    So you hate other people's text language, but you don't mind your own? U and wot are the most ANNOYING text words going.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I really thought I was the only one... I hate criticising my friends for doing it, but I have to...

I can understand it in text messages to the point that it is still legible... However, people who type on the computer like that are just lazy...

My friends sometimes text 'ov' instead of 'of.' What the hell?? It doesn't even make it any shorter!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.