rippetoes for a noob Watch

Hrov
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
well i used to be a very keen gym goer, (about 4 times a week), and was told to work 1 or 2 bodyparts per visit, e.g. legs and chest one day, back and biceps the next, shoulders the next etc.

How does the rippetoes programme effectively incorparate different bodyparts/ different days etc - i thought you needed to rest muscles for them to grow? I know that you are supposed to do this 3 times a week, e.g. Mon = workout A. Wed = workout B. Fri = workout A.

But where are the lat-pulldowns, leg extensions, calf raises, bicep curls,
I mean the programme looks as if it working the major core muscles / exercises so maybe all of the muscle isolation exercies arent needed - looking at the programme, no machines are neccessary - i mean i could do all of this at home.

So could someone just explain this to me pleeeeaase :rolleyes:
Khanage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rippetoes uses compound exercises which use many muscle groups at once, isolation work isn't needed.

A typical Rippetoe set up:

(Original post by Rippetoe)
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Dips

Squat
Standing military press
Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)
Bodyparts used in each exercise:

Chest: Bench press
Back: Deadlift, Rows/clean
Biceps: Chin Ups, Rows
Triceps: Dips, bench press, military press
Shoulders: Military press, bench press
Legs: SQUATS, deadlifts
Abs/core: Squats, deadlifts, everything!

That what you were after?

And yes you do need rest for muscles to grow, but theres a rest day inbetween every workout.

EDIT: lat-pulldowns, leg extensions, calf raises, bicep curls are not needed, better exercises for the same bodyparts are squats and rows.
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rippetoes is a beginners programme and they can usually pull off three times a week squatting.

I don't see what's not to understand. You work the whole body with a high frequency using exercises which give you the most bang for your buck which results in some of the best damn mass and strength gains you'll ever see.

If you don't want to do Rippetoes there are other equally as effective routines out there which don't have you squatting three times a week and which do have you do your lat pull downs (but not leg extensions, they're crap), calf raises and biceps curls.
Hrov
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
ok thanks for replies...
do you have to do the workouts in order, e.g. chin-ups before military press etc

and is this programme just for bulking, can i do cardio workouts after without messing the programme up?
Redemption
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hrov)
ok thanks for replies...
do you have to do the workouts in order, e.g. chin-ups before military press etc

and is this programme just for bulking, can i do cardio workouts after without messing the programme up?
Read the god-damned book.
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hrov)
ok thanks for replies...

Read the book or wiki or this bb.com sticky.

But yes, you have to do the lifts in order. Squats first, then your legs get a break with either the bench press or military press, then back to work with deadlifts or cleans (but not rows, if you chose to do rows that is). You can't do much after deadlifts so that's why they're last. The accessory stuff is just that - accessory - and should be done last, and it's no biggie if you can't do it either.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why do people put dips in the program? You're doing some sort of press every workout, so which pressing muscles aren't getting enough work? I've read PPST and from memory I haven't seen Rip write any novice programs involving dips.
Redemption
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
Why do people put dips in the program? You're doing some sort of press every workout, so which pressing muscles aren't getting enough work? I've read PPST and from memory I haven't seen Rip write any novice programs involving dips.
Old version stronglifts 5x5 used to have dips in the programme, and when most people say "I'm going to do a rippetoe 5x5", they seem to mean "I didn't bother reading the book but I went to stronglifts.com".
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The 5x5 routine at Stronglifts is not Rippetoes, and in fact looks like they took the original Rippetoes and adding in stuff that will make it less effective.
Insane To the Brain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who cares about starting strength. Have you seen rippetoe? dude has the physique of a truck driver, no thanks.

It's like when people are always pushing pavel's training methods and i'm just like 'dude, the guy looks like he escaped from a concentration camp'. stay away.
Woofdog
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Insane To the Brain)
Who cares about starting strength. Have you seen rippetoe? dude has the physique of a truck driver, no thanks.

It's like when people are always pushing pavel's training methods and i'm just like 'dude, the guy looks like he escaped from a concentration camp'. stay away.
Because Rippetoe spends more time teaching others?
Bear Force One FTW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

oh yeah man i can totally bench his mum innit bruv!!
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You're right. Have you seen that Alex Ferguson? Guy looks like he couldn't kick a ball the length of himself. Who'd take his football coaching methods seriously?
Bear Force One FTW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gazcobain)
You're right. Have you seen that Alex Ferguson? Guy looks like he couldn't kick a ball the length of himself. Who'd take his football coaching methods seriously?
lol! good stuff
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

If you're still lifting (and can squat 315lbs for ten reps) and not even fatter at that age then I'll give you a medal.

Guy doesn't proclaim to be an expert in bodybuilding (it's only some of this naive fanboys who think he is some sort of god that say that) and in fact his beginner routines are very good for beginners.
Bear Force One FTW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what he lacks in popularity he makes up for in truck driving ability. damn that guy can handle an 18 wheeler.
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

True, but you don't have to follow it completely (even though it says you do). I've put on very near 1 stone in the past 2-3 months while maintaining a really low bodyfat%, my abs still clearly shows nice and defined and I still can't grab any fat around there. I didn't follow it all completely, not a fan of gaining any flab whatsoever.
Insane To the Brain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
God, I was just joking people, calm down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads